Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help and Advice please

Help and Advice please

Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:13 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future
Default Help and Advice please

Hello.

We are a family of four with two kids under 5. I (Matt) have been offered a job in Auckland as a electrical engineer and we are seriously considering emigrating. The job offer is this ---

Dear Matt

We are pleased to offer you the position of "Auto Electrican", now currently vacant
and needs to be filled immediately.

After considering all the documents submitted with your qualifications, credentials
and work experience, as well as the phone interview we had, we are confident that you
will be able to meet the demands of the role.

We would like to offer you a compensation package conisisting of -
1. A wage rate of NZD23.00 per hour, working for a minimum of 42 and a half hours per
week, subject to a performance appraisal after the first month;
2. Free accommodation and evening meal (Monday - Friday) provided for the first month; (for the family)
3. A company vehicle (for use inside the Auckland area only).

The rights, obligations and reasponsibilies of both parties including your leave
entitlements and conditions of employment, will be based on the Eployment
Relations Act.

The offer of Employment is for a permanent and full-time position for (2) years and does not require registration in any professional body in New Zealand.

The position is currently on the Priority List of the New Zealand Immigration Service
and we are more than glad to assist you with your immigration requirements.

The emmigration costs will be met by the NZ employer but we must pay to fly out there.

Does this seem like a good offer? Is $23 per hour enough to run a family of four in or a commutable distance from Auckland?

The job comes with 3 weeks holiday per year, this seems really low. Is this normal?

I have been told I have to pay 12.5% GST on any thing I import to NZ ( I want to take a motorbike) what is this tax and is it 12.5% of the actual value or what???

Sorry to ask so many questions. We would love to be able to go on a fact finding holiday first but we just don't have the time or money for this.

I am happy that NZ is a good place to live and bring up a family, that seems to be a constant theme but I am reading conflicting news about the true cost of living particularly in the Auckland area.

I thought NZ was laid back and had a relaxed work ethic but this job is a 42.5 hr week basic with 3 weeks holiday a year which doesn't seem relaxed!

Please help us with some accurate advice as we have to give an answer on the job soon.

Many Thanks

Matt and Andrea Turner
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help and Advice please

Hi Matt
I have been living in NZ now for just over two years, so i am hardly an expert yet!. I was living in Auckland until recently, I have now moved to Wellington. Auckland is the most expensive city in NZ no doubt, but it is also where most of the jobs are. Its difficult to answer a question about how much money is enough, it depends on your personal living expenses, what you were used to in the uk etc. To be honest, $23 ph equating to about $50k a year isnt stellar, you will need to be careful with your money to get by on that. Compared to the UK, Id say thats worth about 9-11 pounds per hour. However, you may find you can get more if you work weekends/ overtime. any work on a public holiday is time and a half plus a day off in lieu for instance.

You are probably looking at around $750 a week after tax, if you want to do some budgeting, without overtime.

Rental/housing will be the biggest hurdle, are you planning to bring money over to buy property. If you have a smallish mortgage you will be saving a lot of money. Have a look at realenz.co.nz for property prices (and rentals), and on the banks' websites (asb, nbnz, westpac) you can get an idea of what a mortage repayment will be. Rent varies according to where you live, you may have to live a bit out of the CBD to find a 3 bed house for under $400 a week, but i suppose it can be done.

I dont have kids (just my wife and I) so groceries are hard to guess, we ave abouyt $100 a week, so you may be looking at close to $200. Again, depaends if you like steak each night or are happy with pasta and noodles for the kids.

As you can see, it will be tight in the beginning, is your wife planning on getting a job? However, the cost of childcare may actually make it worthwhile for her to stay at home.....

On the positive side it looks like your employer will help with the emmigration matters, make sure you apply for PR as soon as possible if you do decide to come accross. Having been made the offer counts for a lot, as you will be reimbursed (it sounds like) for the medicals, cost of applying, first months accommodation.....Thats worth probably an extra $5k at least. and you will have an earning job from day one, which also helps.

Unfortunately ihave no idea what auto electricians earn in NZ, so i cant tell you how good the offer sounds. A lot depends on what you want to get out of it, it seems like you have an offer, albeit the money will be tight, it really depends how good you can be with your budget.

As for the work week, 40 hr is the norm for office jobs, so 42.5 is not that far off. I think the minimum leave entitlement is going to change to four weeks minimum at some stage, i dont know whjat the minimum is now. At the moment four weeks is high, so 3 weeks may be considered average.

Im happy to give you some more cost indications if you want, but ive rambled on enough now.

Good luck with your decision
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by the turner family
Hello.

We are a family of four with two kids under 5. I (Matt) have been offered a job in Auckland as a electrical engineer and we are seriously considering emigrating. The job offer is this ---

Dear Matt

We are pleased to offer you the position of "Auto Electrican", now currently vacant
and needs to be filled immediately.

After considering all the documents submitted with your qualifications, credentials
and work experience, as well as the phone interview we had, we are confident that you
will be able to meet the demands of the role.

We would like to offer you a compensation package conisisting of -
1. A wage rate of NZD23.00 per hour, working for a minimum of 42 and a half hours per
week, subject to a performance appraisal after the first month;
2. Free accommodation and evening meal (Monday - Friday) provided for the first month; (for the family)
3. A company vehicle (for use inside the Auckland area only).

The rights, obligations and reasponsibilies of both parties including your leave
entitlements and conditions of employment, will be based on the Eployment
Relations Act.

The offer of Employment is for a permanent and full-time position for (2) years and does not require registration in any professional body in New Zealand.

The position is currently on the Priority List of the New Zealand Immigration Service
and we are more than glad to assist you with your immigration requirements.

The emmigration costs will be met by the NZ employer but we must pay to fly out there.

Does this seem like a good offer? Is $23 per hour enough to run a family of four in or a commutable distance from Auckland?

The job comes with 3 weeks holiday per year, this seems really low. Is this normal?

I have been told I have to pay 12.5% GST on any thing I import to NZ ( I want to take a motorbike) what is this tax and is it 12.5% of the actual value or what???

Sorry to ask so many questions. We would love to be able to go on a fact finding holiday first but we just don't have the time or money for this.

I am happy that NZ is a good place to live and bring up a family, that seems to be a constant theme but I am reading conflicting news about the true cost of living particularly in the Auckland area.

I thought NZ was laid back and had a relaxed work ethic but this job is a 42.5 hr week basic with 3 weeks holiday a year which doesn't seem relaxed!

Please help us with some accurate advice as we have to give an answer on the job soon.

Many Thanks

Matt and Andrea Turner
Be very careful - the salary on offer ($47k) is not enough for Auckland - especially to support a family. Some will tell you that the lifestyle makes up for having no money but thats rubbish in my opinion.

Unless your bringing a large sum from the UK then look for another job or think again.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Be very careful - the salary on offer ($47k) is not enough for Auckland - especially to support a family. Some will tell you that the lifestyle makes up for having no money but thats rubbish in my opinion.

Unless your bringing a large sum from the UK then look for another job or think again.
Wages in NZ are not high. Try to benchmark the salary against alternative jobs of a similar nature.

Also - will you be getting a permanent or a temporary visa? If you have a permanent visa you obviously will be able to leave the job if the pay is too low.

Jeremy
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi I'm a Kiwi and thought you might like to have a look at these sites.
My Brother in Law is a Electrican (Own Business) and my Hubbie is a Fitter/Turner (own bus) and there charge out rates for eg are $40 per hour.
A young boy (18- no qualifications)we have working for us we pay him $12per hr and this is a good rate for his age.
$23 doesn't sounds a lot but all the other offers of a car/accomodation etc probably make up for it.

Depends where you live in Auckland depends on rental/buying a house etc. Where I live (By Beach) you pay between $250 upwards. Has the company told you an area etc?

I was trying to browse through the papers for auto electricians but couldn't find any. At the bottom i have posted the NZ herald paper site and a couple of job agencies/real estate etc for you to look at.

Here are some sites for you to look at.

These sites are in the area where I live:
www.pctimes.co.nz ( Local Newspapers)
www.times.co.nz

www.maraetaibeach.school.nz ( Daughter attends this one)
(Local Primary Schools Age 5- 12-13 yrs
www.beachlands.school.nz

www.pakuranga.school.nz ( Local Public High Schools 30 mins away)
www.howickcollege.school.nz ( Daughter attends this one)
www.acg.ac.nz (Strathallan Private High School )

www.auckland.ac.nz ( Universities)
www.massey.ac.nz

www.ljhooker ( Real Estate Agents )
www.barfoot.co.nz

www.woolworths.co.nz ( Supermarket that does online groceries but not the cheapest in NZ)

www.thewarehouse.co.nz ( General Store, everything from elecrical to shampoo- cheap, but not everyones favourite)

www.plunket.org.nz ( Anyone that has small children - good site)

www.flightcentre.co.nz ( Good Travel agent- an indication of prices from NZ to other countries)

www.asb.co.nz ( Banks - You can set up a bank account online)
www.anz.co.nz

www.xtramsn.co.nz
http://xtramsn.co.nz/careers/
http://xtramsn.seek.co.nz/healthcare/index.ascx

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ ( mAIN nEWSPAPER AUCKLAND

HAPPY READING
Carol
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Electrical CAD Draughtsperson

Maunsell Ltd is part of one of the world's largest engineering firms, AECOM. Maunsell is an award winning professional services consultancy operating throughout New Zealand and internationally. Maunsell's markets in New Zealand include: Power, Environment, Facilities and Transportation.

Our Transmission and Distribution team is looking for an experienced Electrical CAD Draughtsperson. You will be qualified or have a sound background in electrical engineering.

Work will include: preparing new and modifying existing electrical HV drawings including single line diagrams, circuit diagrams, connection diagrams, panel layouts, and substation layout drawings. You will also have to maintain and manage drawing management systems including liason with clients.

The successful candidate will be proficient in AutoCAD. An ability to use Microstation would be an advantage.

Refer to our website www.maunsell.com for further information or to apply online.

Post or email applications to:
Human Resources
Maunsell Limited
PO Box 4241
Auckland
[email protected]

Automation Engineer

Career Advancement
Earn your true worth
Fast moving and Vibrant

There will be involvement in aspects of PLCcontrol software, but the main function is the development of SCADA applications, as well as working on site in a commissioning capacity.

You may be degree or NZCE qualified in mechanical or electrical engineering, and have up to 5 years experience in this field, as the role requires the ability to appreciate all aspects of the equipment for which control programmes are being written.

The role will have client liaison responsibilities and involvement in design meetings with mechanical and electronics engineering staff.

For more information please phone Roger Hurley on 3603164 or apply in confidence through this web page.

Electrical Engineer -Industrial

South Auckland
Huge career development
Professional team
Our client is a leader in the delivery of engineering, environmental and business solutions to NZ industry and has a track record that covers over 100 years.

With a strong presence in the industrial sector ,including Petrochem, Refrigeration, Dairy, Pulp & Paper etc., they now require a suitably experienced and qualified Senior Electrical Engineer.

To be successful in this role will require you to possess the following skills and experience;
B.Eng (Electrical) qualified plus min 8 years experience
Sound knowledge in MCC and PLC systems
An analytical and technical mind set
Have a high level of enthusiasm to liaise with clients & develop relationships with key players as well as being able to nurture projects from start to finish
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
To register your interest in this role please contact Chris Story at [email protected] or ph 09 368-0544 for a confidential conversation.

http://www.bbtworldwide.com/Default.asp

Just some I've seen on a job site
Cheers carol
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:34 am

the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future

Dear Carol,

Thanks so much for your very informative reply and for taking the time to list all the very useful websites - I was scouring the web for school info when you replied!

The $23 dollar is basic and we hope it will go up after 1 months trial, there is also opportunity to earn extra doing evening and weekend callouts if money gets tight. I hope to find part time work which will fit around the school hours - are there part time jobs available to Mums? I have a business diploma, speak 3 languages and have plenty of office experience, so hopefully I will earn more than the minimum wage.

Where are the property areas to look out for which have the nicest neighbourhoods and best schools? We are very keen to build a good social life for us and the kids, so don't want be anywhere too isolated, but we also couldn't cope too well with city life either!

Thanks again for your time.

Andrea
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:33 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

If you are on a 2 yr work visa and your partner gets a better job offer in NZ doing the exact same job but more money you only have to apply for a Variation of Condition ($60). This will alllow you to move employers.

You may want to check out www.*****.co.nz. You may not like what you read but I know unless you will be mortgage free or have huge savings you will struggle to live off of that wage. Unless you went back to work as well.

Alot of folk seem to "manage" but alot have also left NZ because you cant live off of scenery and beaches.

Home and Happy!!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:48 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Try www.netcheck.co.nz, they are showing quite a few jobs in the automotive industry.

$23.00 seems a bit on the low side for Auckland.

We find that, for a family of four, it costs about $3000.00 per month to live and pay the bills - rent/mortgage, food, petrol, rates, phone, power, etc. You would probably be staying home a lot!

Having said that, if there was overtime or if your wife worked a bit, you should be OK.

It depends where in Auckland you live, how much you value the lifestyle, etc.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Andrea,

You won't have any problem finding work. Have a look at the job sites that I posted to give you an idea.

You didn't mention the area that your Husband would be working in? I could let you know what the areas/schools etc are like, surrounding that.

Where I live for eg; is a small coastal/country area, by the Beach but not too far from town (30 mins away). The people are friendly, small primary schools of about 250, few local shops, and a great lifestyle.
We have about 8 new English families move here within the last two years.

If you want to know anymore let me know or email direct on [email protected]
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by annaerb
Hi Andrea,

You won't have any problem finding work. Have a look at the job sites that I posted to give you an idea.

You didn't mention the area that your Husband would be working in? I could let you know what the areas/schools etc are like, surrounding that.

Where I live for eg; is a small coastal/country area, by the Beach but not too far from town (30 mins away). The people are friendly, small primary schools of about 250, few local shops, and a great lifestyle.
We have about 8 new English families move here within the last two years.

If you want to know anymore let me know or email direct on [email protected]

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your replies today on the Ex Pat website – it’s so nice when somebody takes time to help others. We are currently living in Spain and people here really don’t make any effort to be friendly and considerate and will ignore you whenever possible! It can give you a bit of a complex and you begin to think that there must be “something wrong� with you, until you see that it is just the way it is here – keeping yourself to yourself. The UK is very much like it too. This mentality makes for quite a lonely time, especially when you have small children, and after nearly 2 years in Spain have not yet made a good friend - despite my best efforts. I have heard that people are generally much more welcoming in New Zealand, this in my opinion, is worth more than a huge salary!

Matt will be working in the Penrose area, but he will be mobile with a van so we can live outside the city. I had a look at the website for Maraetai Beach School and it looks lovely, we also had a look at the real estate website you recommended and there are great houses within our budget in the area. Maybe we will get to meet!

Are the other English families settling in OK do you know?

Kind regards,

Andrea

Ps I tried to e-mail you direct with the [email protected] address but it didn't work!!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the turner family
Hi Carol,

Thanks for your replies today on the Ex Pat website – it’s so nice when somebody takes time to help others. We are currently living in Spain and people here really don’t make any effort to be friendly and considerate and will ignore you whenever possible! It can give you a bit of a complex and you begin to think that there must be “something wrong� with you, until you see that it is just the way it is here – keeping yourself to yourself. The UK is very much like it too. This mentality makes for quite a lonely time, especially when you have small children, and after nearly 2 years in Spain have not yet made a good friend - despite my best efforts. I have heard that people are generally much more welcoming in New Zealand, this in my opinion, is worth more than a huge salary!

Matt will be working in the Penrose area, but he will be mobile with a van so we can live outside the city. I had a look at the website for Maraetai Beach School and it looks lovely, we also had a look at the real estate website you recommended and there are great houses within our budget in the area. Maybe we will get to meet!

Are the other English families settling in OK do you know?

Kind regards,

Andrea

Ps I tried to e-mail you direct with the [email protected] address but it didn't work!!
Hi Andrea,

Sorry email [email protected]
You could live in any surrounding place as Penrose is central but depends what distance your Hubbie wants to travel to work everyday. Look at Real estate in Greenlane,Ellerslie,Mt Wellington OR in another direction look at Botany,Howick,Maraetai (HAHA).

I'm at home today with broken toes, don't ask how, supposed to be resting LOL but spending my time on the computer.

I used to live in Irian Jaya in the middle of the Jungle due to my hubbies work
so can relate to a lonely sort of life. Most of the Expats were American.
I've been back in NZ 6 years. I wouldn't say I have a close friend that I can tell all my wordly problems too LOL , but I do have friends.

The other English families are settling in fine and most of them have built new houses and have there children at private schools, so that's saying something.

I posted all those websites on another chat site for my family in Scotland as they are thinking of coming out here and thought that other people may benefit.

When are you looking at coming to NZ? Where is the company arranging
Accomodation for your first month?
Cheers
Carol