Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help and advice needed from those experienced in NZ life

Help and advice needed from those experienced in NZ life

Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:47 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and advice needed from those experienced in NZ life

Originally Posted by mickey_d
That's just for 2 of you though, isn't it?

Bit tougher for family of 4. Also you have to allow for school fees which seem to appear all year round, think ours have come to about $600 not including the donation + uniforms, books etc, etc..
Also, Doctors, Dentist, Opticians, Car Tax, Wof, Heating fuel etc......
True only 2 of us... Should have read ur post better...

Anyway - we agree it'shard!!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
True only 2 of us... Should have read ur post better...

Anyway - we agree it'shard!!
I shouldn't have mentioned the school fees!!!
Just had an extra bill come through today for a metal/art project my son did, which consists of a 100x100x25mm piece of wood, 3 setscrews, 4 short lengths of threaded studding & 3 short lengths of round bar.
The result is good, but they want $50 to pay for the materials

Will take a piccy of the item when I can find my camera, I think it's great!!!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Going off topic a bit but a friend of mine just had to fork out $110 for a school trip. They said it wasn't compulsory to go, but it was really as it was a class school field trip.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
Yes, but you've forgotten Working For Families. If his two children are under 12, net income will be

$39,600 after income tax
PLUS
$8060 WFF

Total $47,660 NET INCOME ($3,971.66 per month)
WFF not a definite......we do not get it as we have some money in the bank. I am a nurse earning $38k ( work 32 hrs per week ) and my OH has no job,but we still do not qualify as we have savings......which are dwindling fast with 2 boys aged 9 and 7.

Phyl x
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
WFF not a definite......we do not get it as we have some money in the bank. I am a nurse earning $38k ( work 32 hrs per week ) and my OH has no job,but we still do not qualify as we have savings......which are dwindling fast with 2 boys aged 9 and 7.

Phyl x
Thought it was totally income based, it doesn't take savings into account on any of the calculators or literature.
There are some on here who have substantial savings & still get it.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:03 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Thought it was totally income based, it doesn't take savings into account on any of the calculators or literature.
There are some on here who have substantial savings & still get it.
Think I have to agree with you there. I've been right through the website and cant find anything about WFF being dependent on savings.

If it is, they keep it REALLY quiet. Anyone know for certain?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Think I have to agree with you there. I've been right through the website and cant find anything about WFF being dependent on savings.

If it is, they keep it REALLY quiet. Anyone know for certain?
I'm 99.99% sure that WFF is not dependent on savings. weejie, where did you get this information??

Note that you have to 'register' for WFF:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/online-servic...fftc-2010.html

If I was you, I'd phone them up ASAP to explain my situation and clarify things - if you are eligible for WFF it may be possible, if you've been misinformed and have missed WFF payments because of it for instance, for you to get some or all of the payments you've missed.

When you register for WFF, you can opt to receive it weekly, fortnightly, or all in one lump sum at the end of the tax year. So certainly if you're entitled to it, once you register for it you could start receiving it in your bank account immediately.

(By my calculations, on a $38K salary and with 2 children under 12, you're entitled to............ $201 PER WEEK!! That's $871 per month, $10,452 per year. That's a hell of a lot of money to be missing out on. Best you get on the phone right now!! WFF calculator here: https://interact2.ird.govt.nz/forms/famcalc2009/ )

EDIT - I've just seen that you are only recently arrived in NZ. According to the WFF ( http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credi...s/eligibility/ ):

You must meet at least one of the following residency requirements:

* You are both a New Zealand resident and a New Zealand tax resident and have been in New Zealand continuously for at least 12 months at any time.
* You are caring for a child who is both present and resident in New Zealand.
From the wording, one might think that you are eligible based on the second requirement (you ARE caring for children who are both present and 'resident' in NZ, right?). But it seems a rather odd coupling of 'either/or' requirements, so best to confirm with them on this point....

Last edited by Black Sheep; Dec 15th 2009 at 9:37 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

i have to say that at 50K a year.. and $260K loan.. you will struggle.. and hard.. life will be at a bare min.

its do able in the short term.. but not going to be much fun if thats your life
i suspect you will have to rent.. might not be much difference in the rent v loan.. but the standard of housing will be much better.

I must admit.. i struggle to work out how the average paid kiwi family who is buying a house now ( not the ones who have hit the housing escalator) survive.

We are a family of 4 ( soon to be 5!) and the family income is more than double that and while we are nice and happy.. we're still not in the traveling by business class style of living ( couldnt bring myself to pay the price!)