Reload this Page >

Help advice bay of plenty

Help advice bay of plenty

Old Sep 7th 2016, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

whitmore steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help advice bay of plenty

I need some advice please,
We are considering emigrating to bay of plenty from a London suburb.
We have read threads here and there mentioning there is a drug problem there as well as gangs and a lot of robberies etc, whilst we know that happens here we wonder if we are jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Honestly what is life like in bay of plenty we have two children one 17 the other 13
Old Sep 7th 2016, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help advice bay of plenty

Can't help with Bop as I'm north of Auckland. You'll probably have to wait for a few hours for replies as most of us will be tucked up in bed and fast asleep now. Yes there are gangs in NZ, they tend to be concentrated in some less well off areas. For most of us they don't impact on our lives. Drugs are a problem world-wide, 'P' being the main problem drug in NZ. That's methamphetamine btw. You just need to be careful that you don't rent or buy a house that has previously been used as a P lab.

There are other issues about life in NZ that will have a bigger impact on your day to day lives than the issues you have raised, for example, the build quality of houses, the poor driving standards, house prices and the cost of cucumbers in winter . I suggest you have a read through a few threads first.
Of course the main issue is whether you can uplift a visa to entitle you to live here in the first place.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good post Big Sticks.

NZ has its issues just like anywhere else. It annoys me that the issues are not properly addressed for the good of the country however I can't say it impacts hugely on my everyday life.

I live n the Top of the South Island area where smoking weed and drink driving is rife. Heck, we even have helicopter sweeps to burn the dope growing in the bush. Recently the Hells Angels took over the local biker gang The Lost Breed & ran their own so-called 'poker run' from town into our village and back.

None of this actually impacted on my life. I heard the noise of the bikes and I see the helicopters.

Yes. There is a weed and alcohol culture here . Perhaps more so in the rural and semi rural areas where there is no so much to do other than hunting or walking somewhere. However, it doesn't have to touch your lives at all , unless you or your kids get into that.

More important daily probs will be the standard of driving here. The isolation from the rest of the world. Perhaps the cost of living depending on income. If the kids don't settle and want to leave. That sort of stuff really.

I've not come to think of the Bay of Plenty as any sort of pit anymore than where we live. In fact, Tauranga and surrounds is likely one of the better , more central areas to be.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitmore steve
I need some advice please,
We are considering emigrating to bay of plenty from a London suburb.
We have read threads here and there mentioning there is a drug problem there as well as gangs and a lot of robberies etc, whilst we know that happens here we wonder if we are jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Honestly what is life like in bay of plenty we have two children one 17 the other 13
Awesome idea. London or the BOP, London or the BOP....Hmm!
We've lived in the BOP for 2 years now. Spent the first 2.5 years in Wellington but wasn't for us long term. We moved up North for a much better climate, much better beaches, a slower pace of life, to have the beach as part of our daily lives and to open up many more opportunities for places to go with Tauranga as a base....got a bit bored in Wellington as there's not much nearby within a couple hours. I am a biker and any Sunday blast was meet in Upper Hutt, blast over the Takka's in to the Wairarapa, blast round the countryside, coffee/lunch in Martinborough then back home.....there was no other option really so once you've done that 20 times it get's boring. Up here I can go East to Whakatane then East Cape, over to Hawkes Bay, South to Rotorua/Lake Taupo/Hamilton, West to The Coromandel and Auckland....just so many more opportunities.
We love it here. It hasn't disappointed in any way.

Yes there is a drug problem here but I for one wouldn't believe there is as you just don't see any sign of it during normal day to day habits. My wife is a practice nurse in one of the main Tauranga GP's and she says P (meth, speed etc) is a big issue in the BOP, but it's no worse than any other city in NZ and it is majority concentrated in and around the low socio-economic areas which is where you will also find a concentration of gangs (Mongrel Mob, Black Power etc).
In our 2 years here we've never come across any drug and/or gang related incidents in any part of the BOP. It is actually very rare to see gang members out and about during the day but they are here. We did bump in to around 20 or so members one Sunday in the local park as we went out with the kids meeting friends for a BBQ, but although slightly intimidating at first they were just like us, in the park with their families and kids, having a laugh and a kick about plus beer in the sun.
Weed is also rife across NZ and in my experience more so in rural areas where drink driving is also an issue. Neither have ever been a problem for me or any of the family though.

Is any of it to the level of London ?
Would it be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire?
...Hell NO!
The population of the BOP is around 300 000. London is getting on for 9 million. You just can't compare.

Life in the Bay is stunning. I feel truly blessed every time I climb the Mount (Mt. Maunganui or Mauao to give it it's proper Maori title) and gaze out at the stunning scenery. Just to stand up there, look out and call this place home makes me so happy that I'm here, sharing it with my soul mate and bringing up our children in a totally different way of life than they would normally have had back in the NW of England.
The weather is generally good and mild. Winter has been non-existent this year. We've had a lot of rain over approx a 1 month spell but other than that the lowest temperature I've seen leaving for work at 5am is 5 degrees and by late morning it's in double figures. We've had some cracking days lately and we're only just in Spring. Getting lots of blue sky days and warm weather lately. Have been in shorts from mid August when I'm at home and that'll keep on through till mid May next year at least I should expect.
Cost of living is also slightly less here compared to Wellington and of course Auckland. Our average house price has just hit $634k while in Auckland it is now tipped over the $1M mark. Wouldn't like to be in Auckland anyway. There's just too many people and too much traffic for me now. Was used to it back in the UK but having had it easy for the last 4.5 years I like my space.

Happy to answer any specifics you wanna know about.

Cheers
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt fret over this issue. If by the BOP you mean Tauranga, then I think theres a good chance you wont recognise either a gang member or someone noticeably affected by meth in your first 12 months being there. Theyre there, but generally we arent all scared witless, or even think about it that much. To be fair much of the gang problem in the media seems to focus on trying to keep some of the notorious Aussie gangs out. Dont get me wrong, wouldnt want to live next to a gang as there will probably be some drug making or worse going on. As far as crime goes its probably similar to UK on a per capita basis. I think murders per capita are similar.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

To correct a bad rap I gave in previous post, wanted to add that not all NZ gangs are into drugs or even crime I believe. I think when this is the case they can serve a good purpose and actually keep people out of crime.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garethwm
To correct a bad rap I gave in previous post, wanted to add that not all NZ gangs are into drugs or even crime I believe. I think when this is the case they can serve a good purpose and actually keep people out of crime.

thanks for all of your advice, i take it all in ps the gangs dont bother me, i just worry for my kids, i am from a rough council estate in hackney east London and ive seen them all, my kids however have been wrapped up in cotton wall....(my wife)....so im making sure that it will be ok for them.

i have checked prices versus London food shopping etc and they are similar.
vitalstatisix there should be no problem with the visa (fingers crossed) as im actually investing in the area and bringing a business over
thank you all though i have a clearer picture of it all , much appreciated
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

cheers to all
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

You should find the food prices more expensive here at the moment overall, in comparison, because of the historically high value of the $NZ vs the £UK.Not sure Tauranga has anything equivalent to a London council estate but there will probably be some rougher suburbs in comparison to other suburbs there. And I think it is still possible your kids will find themselves in the wrong crowd. The ACDC drummer got into the drug world while living there. But Tauranga is a nice place. I like it.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

2 questions. Do you have visas? And have you thought about or tried moving to another part of the UK?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:47 am
Just Joined

hi garethwm, we dont live in London we live in a London suburb, i originally came from a London council estate so know the dangers

we dont have visas yet but as im moving a business there it should be ok
basically we dont really like the uk its overcrowded, traffic drives me mad and we quite like a bit of adventure, also i like travelling so the kids learn to open their minds and meet new people
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
You should find the food prices more expensive here at the moment overall, in comparison, because of the historically high value of the $NZ vs the £UK.Not sure Tauranga has anything equivalent to a London council estate but there will probably be some rougher suburbs in comparison to other suburbs there. And I think it is still possible your kids will find themselves in the wrong crowd. The ACDC drummer got into the drug world while living there. But Tauranga is a nice place. I like it.
Yes there's a couple of rough burbs here namely Merivale and Parkvale which are the lowest socioeconomic areas in Tauranga and have been voted the least desirable places or unsafest places to live in Tauranga for a while but I can't stress enough how they are nothing whatsoever like a rough estate in the UK. I've travelled all across this beautiful country and I've not yet found a suburb or area I wouldn't walk through unlike many places in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitmore steve
hi garethwm, we dont live in London we live in a London suburb, i originally came from a London council estate so know the dangers

we dont have visas yet but as im moving a business there it should be ok
basically we dont really like the uk its overcrowded, traffic drives me mad and we quite like a bit of adventure, also i like travelling so the kids learn to open their minds and meet new people
I'm not sure where you could go in NZ that doesn't have a traffic problem. Forget Wellington and Auckland. Tauranga is getting worse by the day in spite of new roads being built. Crime is up in most places. The UK has some beautiful scenery, in my opinion better than NZ, and lovely small towns and villages and there's way more to do in the UK. If you like to travel it's easier from the UK. My advice to anyone considering coming here is to read the NZ herald online, it will give you a good idea of life here in general.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:15 am
Just Joined

yeah i read the nz herald this morning apparently kiwi fruit is expensive.....not much else really
Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayandbill
I'm not sure where you could go in NZ that doesn't have a traffic problem.
Anywhere in the South Island I should imagine! There are delays in Chch in the rush hour but the rest of the time I can get from one side of Chch to the other in 30 mins.