Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help with accounting.

Help with accounting.

Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:55 am
Just Joined

JackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really nice
Default Help with accounting.

Hello ill try and make this as short as possiblev

I did 9 months in Australia this year and last, I like it a lot more than living in the UK over there. Anyway since being back I have completed a level 1 aat course here and will probably do a level 2 at College from Jan to July due to failing to find a accounting apprenticeship. Im writing on here firstly to ask about whether AAT is recognised or not in New zealand? Secondly if not can I study accounting at this level in New Zealand at a vocational centre and be on a student visa and gain a qualification which would set me on my way to being A Chartered accountant. Finally what are the best professions to get into in New Zealand at the moment?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with accounting.

Hi, I'll try and help.

I'm fully AAT qualified, and working as an accountant. The people that recognised it most were the British recuitmentment agents, some of whom were very enthusiastic about my full membership.

NZICA (the CA body here) do recognise AAT membership, and will allow you to transfer to their equivalent, but I think you need an NZICA CA that has known you for two years to provide a reference. More info here. I haven't been here long enough to do that, and as the AAT CPD is self directed, and the NZICA AT one is hours based, I'll probably not bother.

I'm keen to move on to be fully chartered myself, but having enquired with NZICA, it seems that they'll recognise my AAT to transfer me to their AT, but they won't recognise my prior learning towards CA, and want me to do a four year degree in Accountancy, on top of the honours degree I already hold, and my (AAT) diploma. So I'm looking into doing CIMA or ACCA through distance learning, as they sponsor the AAT qual, and will give me a heap of prior learning exemptions.

If you came on a student visa, you'd best to do a four years degree in Accountancy, but the fees are steep for non resident students, so look at completing your quals in the UK, and getting some experience before you come out. Accountants were on the long term shortage list (I haven't looked recently), but they had to be chartered, and have a degree in accountancy.

I didn't have a job offer before I came, but got an offer two days after we arrived, as I was willing to contract. There's quite often work around for contractors.

Keep up with your studies, it is a good course, and hope this info helps.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

CIMA is well recognised here I have both AAT and CIMA and have had no problem getting jobs, I tend to agree with other OP get quals before cominghere it will also give you level 7 with NZQA, AAT gives you level 5. When I came over in 2008 a freind of mine came out with AAt and has had no problems securing roles circ $65-80k.

Depending on your age your could come out on WHV and then look for a job whilst also studying
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:40 am
Just Joined

JackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really niceJackC93 is just really nice

Thanks for your help ladies. So your saying that there is no equivilant for AAT there as after I have completed level 2 I should just go an complete the rest of my AAT here then try coming out?

Cheers.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My thought is that you gain your qualification first & then look to come out.

If you look to a student visa , then you would pay international student fees. Very pricey.