British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HELP!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-453502/)

reecefam May 27th 2007 6:56 am

HELP!!!

Hi,

I need your help and advice!

We are a couple in our mid 30's, with 2 girls aged 10 and 7 and we live an average life in Lincolnshire.

I have been offered a job within the Auckland area...and need to know from people who have made the jump, is it worth it, what the pro's are and what are the cons!

Can you advise???

My email address is <<snip>>if you want to email direct.

I appreciate your time in replying.

Martin
:confused:

phil01 May 27th 2007 6:51 pm

Re: HELP!!!

Hi,
sent you an email via the message system so hope you get it.
Debbie

Heavenlyscent May 27th 2007 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 4836303)
Hi,

We are a couple in our mid 30's, with 2 girls aged 10 and 7 and we live an average life in Lincolnshire.

I have been offered a job within the Auckland area...and need to know from people who have made the jump, is it worth it, what the pro's are and what are the cons!

Can you advise???

Martin

Hi
We moved from Healing lovely village in Lincolnshire to Rotorua in December 2005 and are returning to the uk in June 2007. We brought over 4 children with us, 2 dogs and a cat. It will depend on what jobs you have and what you are expecting from the move.

Genesis May 27th 2007 8:47 pm

Hi,

Can you advise???

Martin

From what I can glean......Auck. is very expensive housing wise, there is apparently an extra charge on petrol. There are a million people living there. the traffics bad. Crime is quite bad in some isolated areas apparently..from what I read in the papers. On the plus side its warmer than in the lower north where we are, theres endless culture and things to do, its beach side, close to the BoP and Northland...all great stuff the latter but we could NEVER afford to live in Auck. on a nurses wage and we would be living in a cardboard box. Here in Palmy we were able to afford a very, very nice shed with a pool and mountain views.

My opinion is that unless you are going to be very very well paid stick to somewhere cheaper (and less crowded..otherwise you miss out on one of the best benefits of life in NZ..low stress and space!!), somewhere where you don't need squillions to get a gaff. Good luck.

reecefam May 27th 2007 9:25 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice...we were thinking of somewhere north of Auckland, say 30 minutes north of it, so cheaper houses but still near enough.
Is that far enough away for houses to be cheaper?
Thanks.
Martin

happynz May 27th 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 4839025)
Thanks a lot for your advice...we were thinking of somewhere north of Auckland, say 30 minutes north of it, so cheaper houses but still near enough.
Thanks.
Martin

Not particularly, sorry.

Genesis May 27th 2007 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 4839025)
Thanks.
Martin

Cheap houses = Palmerston Nth:eek:

Been here 2 years WE LOVE IT!!!!!

As do the kids, great place tonnes to do and see..loads of attractions to hand..the sea, Wellington, Taupo, skiing, Hawkes Bay..all less than 2-3 hrs..the beach is 20 mins. What do you do for a job?

By the way, there's no traffic in Palmy and there are some really nice neighbourhoods..we also have a world class indoor outdoor pool complex..old but one of the best I have visited anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Its still being sold as the MOST boring place on earth!!!!!!!!! I am a demanding, moaning old git and have never been bored once here...EVER!!!!!!

Apple13 May 27th 2007 11:23 pm

Errrm I am not sure that PN (as good as it is) really counts as commutable from Auckland :p

Jude J May 27th 2007 11:33 pm

Hi,

Can you advise???

Martin

Hi Martin,

We did it 5 years ago, and the only con for us (well me mostly) is how far away we are from family. Of course, we were well aware before we moved here of the distance, but that is the only thing that stops it being perfect for me.
My best friend has just been over for my birthday, we have had a fantastic time. She was due to fly back tomorrow night but this morning she announced she had phoned the airline and changed her flight to one that leaves at 2 this afternoon. She is at the airport now with my hubby (I couldn't have managed the drive home from the airport on my own whilst blubbering) and I am here looking for distractions!
Apart from that, we all love it.
:D but also :(

Genesis May 27th 2007 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Apple13 (Post 4839381)
Errrm I am not sure that PN (as good as it is) really counts as commutable from Auckland :p

Helicopters and Bugatti Veyrons are all available in NZ:p. To boot the speed:eek: at which the average Kiwi drives makes PN to Auckland do-able!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is almost zero unemployment here in Palmy, some really good jobs too..perchance Martin could find a job here?

There is some money around. I regulary see a brace of Porsches, the odd Ferrari and a brand new A. Martin poodling around town. And since you would NEVER drive by palmy for a look see (I didn't when I was here 15years ago!!), one assumes said vehicles and drivers reside in the area..its not all penny, halfpenny round here you know!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Rustie May 28th 2007 12:06 am

It very much depends on what you want from the move? What are you looking for? Is it just a change? Would you have considered it if you hadn't had the job offer?

If i were you I'd evaluate what you are looking for, whether you are unhappy where you are and why, then once you know what you want you can look at where to go.

New Zealand can work for some and not for others and you definately come here for the lifestyle not the money! :ohmy:

I live North of Auckland and it would take me about an hour to get into CBD (centre of Auckland) from here but thankfully I don't work there! :rofl:

If you think that you definately want to move I'd look at where would suit your needs rather than base everything around a job, although you could always use the job as a stepping stone to get here if you really want to and put up with the commute.

reecefam May 28th 2007 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 4839420)
Helicopters and Bugatti Veyrons are all available in NZ:p. To boot the speed:eek: at which the average Kiwi drives makes PN to Auckland do-able!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is almost zero unemployment here in Palmy, some really good jobs too..perchance Martin could find a job here?

There is some money around. I regulary see a brace of Porsches, the odd Ferrari and a brand new A. Martin poodling around town. And since you would NEVER drive by palmy for a look see (I didn't when I was here 15years ago!!), one assumes said vehicles and drivers reside in the area..its not all penny, halfpenny round here you know!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Brilliant advice...thank you...how far is Palmerston North away then? Sorry for my ignorance, just know the job is going to be on the north shore of Auckland and so we need to be based within 30 miles or so of the area!
How are Schools in the area, is there a way of finding out good Schools from bad ones, from over here?

reecefam May 28th 2007 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Rustie (Post 4839458)
It very much depends on what you want from the move? What are you looking for? Is it just a change? Would you have considered it if you hadn't had the job offer?

If i were you I'd evaluate what you are looking for, whether you are unhappy where you are and why, then once you know what you want you can look at where to go.

New Zealand can work for some and not for others and you definately come here for the lifestyle not the money! :ohmy:

I live North of Auckland and it would take me about an hour to get into CBD (centre of Auckland) from here but thankfully I don't work there! :rofl:

If you think that you definately want to move I'd look at where would suit your needs rather than base everything around a job, although you could always use the job as a stepping stone to get here if you really want to and put up with the commute.

Hi Rustie...thanks...tired of live and the weather over here in England.
There must be a better place to live out there!
Had been looking at AUS but New Zealand came up, hence why we are looking into it, to see if it is for us.

reecefam May 28th 2007 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 4839350)
Cheap houses = Palmerston Nth:eek:

Been here 2 years WE LOVE IT!!!!!

As do the kids, great place tonnes to do and see..loads of attractions to hand..the sea, Wellington, Taupo, skiing, Hawkes Bay..all less than 2-3 hrs..the beach is 20 mins. What do you do for a job?

By the way, there's no traffic in Palmy and there are some really nice neighbourhoods..we also have a world class indoor outdoor pool complex..old but one of the best I have visited anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Its still being sold as the MOST boring place on earth!!!!!!!!! I am a demanding, moaning old git and have never been bored once here...EVER!!!!!!

Hi Genesis...i am a retail Area Manager/Store Manager...for my sins! They wanted me to go to the South Island but the weather is a ket reason for us moving out of this place and looking into your climate, thought the North Island matched what we were looking for a lot more, warm most of the year round, without ever being far too hot and not being cold either!

Gill and Rob May 28th 2007 6:14 am

Hi,

Can you advise???

Martin

Do a quick search and read up on some of the posts what already write on this subject and remember take everything with a pinch of salt.
Only you can say if the jump is worth it. Everyones experience is so different.

Good luck
Gill NZ since 2003 and LOVING IT.