help!!!

Old May 3rd 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Jacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help!!!

Hi all,
well this is my first time posting on this site so I have lots of questions for you all! first a short intro to me and my situation...I'm married an NZder, I have been offered a job in wellington starting on July 18th. Because we don;t have much time to sort things out I have been advised by NZ immigration (london) to apply for a partnership work visa then apply for residency when I get to NZ. So far I am trying to get everything together for my visa application, feeling a bit helpless at the moment as I am just waiting for my police certificate and medical stuff to come through...had my medical last week and applied for my police cert back in Mid April but I have been told this can take upto 40 days to come through!!!!

Does anyone know how long on average a partnership work visa takes to come through....do I need to be worried that I haven't applied for the visa yet (due to waiting on police cert and medical) but we we want to leave the country on July 6th so I have at least a week to get adjusted before starting work??

I am also finding the NZ immigration website a bit overwhelming so can you let me know if there are any other key things I need to be sorting out now in terms of docs/info for my visa application ...other than medical/police cert, evidence of relationship, letter of support from spouse?

thanks all.....yours, anxious from cambridge!
Old May 4th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: help!!!

Originally Posted by Jacks
Hi all,
well this is my first time posting on this site so I have lots of questions for you all! first a short intro to me and my situation...I'm married an NZder, I have been offered a job in wellington starting on July 18th. Because we don;t have much time to sort things out I have been advised by NZ immigration (london) to apply for a partnership work visa then apply for residency when I get to NZ. So far I am trying to get everything together for my visa application, feeling a bit helpless at the moment as I am just waiting for my police certificate and medical stuff to come through...had my medical last week and applied for my police cert back in Mid April but I have been told this can take upto 40 days to come through!!!!

Does anyone know how long on average a partnership work visa takes to come through....do I need to be worried that I haven't applied for the visa yet (due to waiting on police cert and medical) but we we want to leave the country on July 6th so I have at least a week to get adjusted before starting work??

I am also finding the NZ immigration website a bit overwhelming so can you let me know if there are any other key things I need to be sorting out now in terms of docs/info for my visa application ...other than medical/police cert, evidence of relationship, letter of support from spouse?

thanks all.....yours, anxious from cambridge!

Hi, good luck with the move. Can't help with the visa questions sorry. Just moving you to the top maybe someone else can help you.
I love Wellington, hope you do too
KAZ
Old May 4th 2005, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: help!!!

Hi there

I am going down the same route as you althought my husband isn't a true kiwi, just been granted NZ citizenship as his mum was born there. I have spoken to New Zealand House etc and they have advised me that the Partnership work VISA is only currently taking 3/4 weeks! Hence why I haven't applied for mine yet as we have a holiday in Europe at the end of May and also need to put our house up for sale. I haven't actually gathered all my paperwork together yet but I know what you mean about the website, it isn't the best to use. Can I ask why you had the medicals done? I was told that if you apply for just a 2 year VISA, no medicals and police checks are required, although if you state on your application that you are then going to apply for perm residency, they may ask for the medicals as you have no plans of going back to the UK. I have been in touch with 2 couples that may be able to help you, will look into and come back to you.
Old May 4th 2005, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Betty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally
Hi there

I am going down the same route as you althought my husband isn't a true kiwi, just been granted NZ citizenship as his mum was born there. I have spoken to New Zealand House etc and they have advised me that the Partnership work VISA is only currently taking 3/4 weeks! Hence why I haven't applied for mine yet as we have a holiday in Europe at the end of May and also need to put our house up for sale. I haven't actually gathered all my paperwork together yet but I know what you mean about the website, it isn't the best to use. Can I ask why you had the medicals done? I was told that if you apply for just a 2 year VISA, no medicals and police checks are required, although if you state on your application that you are then going to apply for perm residency, they may ask for the medicals as you have no plans of going back to the UK. I have been in touch with 2 couples that may be able to help you, will look into and come back to you.

Sally I am going through the exact same thing as Jacks - was told by New Zealand house to have the medical done because I am applying under a residence scheme as oppsed to a temporary one, which doesn't require medicals or police clearance.
Old May 4th 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Betty
Are you applying for perm residency from the UK then? I know you can apply for it out there. I now can't decide what to do. Thought the quickest way was to just get the VISA under partnership for now, then residency once settled out there. I do have the forms for perm residency and the list of the Hospitals etc for the medicals, just haven't got the money right now for all those!
Old May 4th 2005, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Betty
Are you applying for perm residency from the UK then? I know you can apply for it out there. I now can't decide what to do. Thought the quickest way was to just get the VISA under partnership for now, then residency once settled out there. I do have the forms for perm residency and the list of the Hospitals etc for the medicals, just haven't got the money right now for all those!
Sally I am also applying for a visa under the partnership scheme, but when I went to the NZ embassy in London you talk to someone from either the temporary section (working holiday visa's/ holiday visa's etc) or the residence section (partnership/ family quota/ Work to residence etc). After I explained why I was there I got a ticket (similar to the argos ticketing system) and had to wait in line to see a residence person. I think its because people getting partnership visas are generally intending to stay in NZ indefinitely. I can only apply for residency after 2 years, and I assume might have to go through the whole process again (although I hope not!)

I am having my medical tomorrow. Its costing me £150 and the x-rays an additional £35. Considering the police clearance certificate is £10 (which I will do tomorrow too) its a fair bit of cash to part with in one day!!!! It will all be worth it in the end though!!!! When are you thinking about going?
Old May 4th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

I got confused as I spoke to different people at NZ House and they advised differently. Are you saying that you need the Medicals to support only a Partnership VISA Policy or only if you do the residency thing at the same time? May mail you separate to this so I don't overtake Jacks original thread!

No time lines yet except for wanting to be there by the end of the year. We have a holiday booked for Greece in 3 weeks and then will put our house up for sale when we get back. I want to go ASAP, although suddenly torn about leaving close family.

What about you?
Old May 4th 2005, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

I got confused as I spoke to different people at NZ House and they advised differently. Are you saying that you need the Medicals to support only a Partnership VISA Policy or only if you do the residency thing at the same time? May mail you separate to this so I don't overtake Jacks original thread!

No time lines yet except for wanting to be there by the end of the year. We have a holiday booked for Greece in 3 weeks and then will put our house up for sale when we get back. I want to go ASAP, although suddenly torn about leaving close family.

What about you?
I'm getting the visa only. I wasn't entirely sure about needing the medicals etc.... but you've made me wonder if it really is necessary now. Might just cancel my appointment tomorrow and go back to NZ house and ask them again.... I'll be glad when all this is over.....

Mail me and I'll tell you what I know. Maybe we can figure it out between us!

Am hoping to go in July....
Old May 4th 2005, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Betty
I'm getting the visa only. I wasn't entirely sure about needing the medicals etc.... but you've made me wonder if it really is necessary now. Might just cancel my appointment tomorrow and go back to NZ house and ask them again.... I'll be glad when all this is over.....

Mail me and I'll tell you what I know. Maybe we can figure it out between us!

Am hoping to go in July....
Hmm, sounds confusing...all I know is that I was advised by NZ house that I needed the medicals and police clearance certs wehn applying for my owrk visa. The work visa application form indicates you need a Medical and xray certificate for 'people who will be in NZ for more than 12 months'. Let me know what immigration tell you....I wouldn't cancel your appointment just yet as it takes ages to get a new one!!
Old May 4th 2005, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Hmm, sounds confusing...all I know is that I was advised by NZ house that I needed the medicals and police clearance certs wehn applying for my owrk visa. The work visa application form indicates you need a Medical and xray certificate for 'people who will be in NZ for more than 12 months'. Let me know what immigration tell you....I wouldn't cancel your appointment just yet as it takes ages to get a new one!!
Sorry Jacks, you don't need a medical for your work visa if you are in NZ for more than 12 months. It's 24 months. Saying that, things might have changed since I got my visa last year. All I can say is that I never needed a medical or police check for my 23 month visa...because I went for 23 months as opposed to the 24 months thus avoiding having to pay for the aforementioned things.
Old May 4th 2005, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Sorry Jacks, you don't need a medical for your work visa if you are in NZ for more than 12 months. It's 24 months. Saying that, things might have changed since I got my visa last year. All I can say is that I never needed a medical or police check for my 23 month visa...because I went for 23 months as opposed to the 24 months thus avoiding having to pay for the aforementioned things.
I think things have changed recently as the application form has 2 sections under health care requirements..for applications lodged before 4 April 2005 it says you need the med and xray 'for people who will be in NZ more than 2 years', for applications lodged after 4 April 2005 it says you need the med and xray 'for people who will be in NZ more than 12 months'.

under the poilce cert section it does say you need to submit one if you intend to be in NZ more than 2 years.

So I guess the answer to the question is if you intend to be in NZ less than 1 year you dont need either med or police cert, if you will be in NZ 1-2 yrs you'll need a med cert but not a police cert, but if you're staying longer you need both! Best to get advice from NZ house on this one i think!
J
Old May 5th 2005, 7:24 am
Just Joined

I think things have changed recently as the application form has 2 sections under health care requirements..for applications lodged before 4 April 2005 it says you need the med and xray 'for people who will be in NZ more than 2 years', for applications lodged after 4 April 2005 it says you need the med and xray 'for people who will be in NZ more than 12 months'.

under the poilce cert section it does say you need to submit one if you intend to be in NZ more than 2 years.

So I guess the answer to the question is if you intend to be in NZ less than 1 year you dont need either med or police cert, if you will be in NZ 1-2 yrs you'll need a med cert but not a police cert, but if you're staying longer you need both! Best to get advice from NZ house on this one i think!
J
You're right Jacks, I read over my application form last night and it does say you need to attach medical and x-ray certificates as well as the police clearance one. As far as I can understand you can only hand in the application form once you have all the documentation... so I'm going to go have my medical (now) and my x-rays - I'd rather have them done and not really need them than to delay my application even further!! He (the immigration guy) definitely told me that I may not be able to get over to NZ as soon as July cos sometimes medical certificates can take a while to come through....