Help!

Old Feb 19th 2005, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

lily34 is on a distinguished road
Default Help!

Hi All

We're about to begin the arduous process of migrating to NZ - still ploughing thru the EOI, can't imagine what the actual real process will be like!

I'm confused about the distinction between the absolute skills shortage list and the immediate skills shortage list? Except that you can get points for one on the EOI but not for the other? Why have an immediate skills shortage list at all?? Help! The reason this is important is that my partner is a primary teacher, which is no longer on the absolute skills list but IS on the immediate skills list. As all 3 of us (him, me and our 2 month old son) are applying on his application, the more points the better! Without any extra, we've got 115 points so far - is it worth putting in an EOI with just 15 points over the threshold?

nice to be here, by the way, lots of interesting posts
Old Feb 19th 2005, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

debnjohn will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Help!

Originally Posted by lily34
Hi All

We're about to begin the arduous process of migrating to NZ - still ploughing thru the EOI, can't imagine what the actual real process will be like!

I'm confused about the distinction between the absolute skills shortage list and the immediate skills shortage list? Except that you can get points for one on the EOI but not for the other? Why have an immediate skills shortage list at all?? Help! The reason this is important is that my partner is a primary teacher, which is no longer on the absolute skills list but IS on the immediate skills list. As all 3 of us (him, me and our 2 month old son) are applying on his application, the more points the better! Without any extra, we've got 115 points so far - is it worth putting in an EOI with just 15 points over the threshold?

Lily34,
I wouldn't worry about extra points. The important thing is getting your EOI selected. If you look here you'll see that the last 13 selections were made with a minimum point score of 100. The best thing to do is get an EOI submitted whilst the score is so low (it can't get any lower). It makes no odds how many points you are over the threshold, as NZIS are effectively taking everyone out of the pool at present.

Best of luck

John.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:08 pm
Damages

Default Re: Help!

Hi

We are in the uk too and thinking of moving to NZ. Teaching is also the game here. We have only made some tentative enquiries so far but have done a humungous amount of research into every aspect we can think of. I used to live in Australia (grew up there from age 11) and have some knowledge of living abroad and have first hand knowledge of ex-pat whingers having stupidly been one myself in my teens!!

This, of course goes nowhere towards answering your questions but you are in a similar position to ourselves.

We do have a question for you though.

Does your partner have a job lined up already and if you are not going through an agency (y'know the one in the TES) how did you approach it?

Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by debnjohn
Lily34,
I wouldn't worry about extra points. The important thing is getting your EOI selected. If you look here you'll see that the last 13 selections were made with a minimum point score of 100. The best thing to do is get an EOI submitted whilst the score is so low (it can't get any lower). It makes no odds how many points you are over the threshold, as NZIS are effectively taking everyone out of the pool at present.

Best of luck

John.
thanks, thats really helpful - and reassuring!going to take the advice and get our EOI in ASAP. have you already migrated?
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Damages
Hi

We are in the uk too and thinking of moving to NZ. Teaching is also the game here. We have only made some tentative enquiries so far but have done a humungous amount of research into every aspect we can think of. I used to live in Australia (grew up there from age 11) and have some knowledge of living abroad and have first hand knowledge of ex-pat whingers having stupidly been one myself in my teens!!

This, of course goes nowhere towards answering your questions but you are in a similar position to ourselves.

We do have a question for you though.

Does your partner have a job lined up already and if you are not going through an agency (y'know the one in the TES) how did you approach it?
Hey we're really just at the beginning of it all - we're stuck here until Jan next year, as I'm finishing my final year of a degree. would have finished this may but I took 6 months off last year to have our son. So we've got to try and time it right - apply too soon and we might be accepted before I finish, in which case we can't go! We have done some research - as i already said on another thread, my uncle went 5 years ago and we hear lot about the country, culture, wages etc from him.

Primary teaching is no longer on the skills shortage list which does seem to make it advisable to get a job before we go - have you had a look on the NZ dept of education website? its at www.teachnz.govt.nz .There's a link on there for foreign teachers applying from abroad which is pretty useful. Seems as if it is possible to just apply directly for jobs, although there's a huge amount of paperwork involved! According to the immediate skills shortage list, there's a lack of primary teachers in the Auckland, Bay of Plenty and Northland area's of the country, so any posts there would be a good place to start. I don't know about this agency though, do you have a website add for them? What age do you teach?
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=lily34]Hey we're really just at the beginning of it all - we're stuck here until Jan next year, as I'm finishing my final year of a degree. would have finished this may but I took 6 months off last year to have our son. So we've got to try and time it right - apply too soon and we might be accepted before I finish, in which case we can't go! ....QUOTE]
lily,
I wouldn't worry too much about the timing.
If you're going under the skilled immigrant programme, you have up to 4 months to return your ITA. If subsequently granted PR, you are then allowed up to 6 months to pay the Migrant levy (at which point your passport gets processed). Once the passport has the visa attached, you have up to 12 months to set foot in NZ and activate the visa.
So even without taking into account EOI processing times, you could in theory have up to 22 months to make the move!
Cheers,
John.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

thats excellent news! thanks for that, its nice to know what we're working with

have you actually migrated, and if so, when, where and how have you found it?
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:20 pm
Been In welly 7 years

Ianm41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there we have just had our EOI selected and approved and are now waiting for the ITA, I was just wondering what other cost's are involved in the application process, I'm figuring that the ITA has a charge involved and how much is the migrants levy for the passport visa entry..we are a family of 4 so just trying to figure out what the total cost's will be what with medicals..ect...thanks all
Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lily34
thats excellent news! thanks for that, its nice to know what we're working with

have you actually migrated, and if so, when, where and how have you found it?
No, haven't emigrated yet. We're in the process of gathering together our ITA.
John
Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ianm41
Hi there we have just had our EOI selected and approved and are now waiting for the ITA, I was just wondering what other cost's are involved in the application process, I'm figuring that the ITA has a charge involved and how much is the migrants levy for the passport visa entry..we are a family of 4 so just trying to figure out what the total cost's will be what with medicals..ect...thanks all
We too are a family of four, one child over 16 (and thus an adult in medical terms).
Costs so far are £116 (EOI) + £20 (2 x Police certificates) + £180 (4 x X-rays) + £430 (4 x Medicals).
Then there is a £540 ITA application fee plus £460 Migrant Levy (Migrant Levy is £115 per person capped at a maximum of £460 )
So you're looking at the better part of £2k as things stand.

Medicals can be got cheaper at some clinics (depends on the children's ages). However, the rules change on April 5th 2005, and medicals are probably going to get considerably more expensive :scared: under the new stricter checks.

John.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:19 am
Damages

Hi

I am in an odd but perhaps advantageous position with regard to teaching. I have a PGCE in which I am trained as a secondary teacher Science with physics as my subject speciality although I am doing my QTS year in primary because I have an intense interest in the transition between primary and secondary education. I am not too sure how this is likely to translate in the emigration process but I have extraordinarily good subject knowledge in physics (particularly nuclear, radiation and particle physics). Among the drawbacks however is the 'I'm no spring chicken' syndrome. I did my PGCE at a late stage and to top it off I was tempted into a medical engineering post for the past three years. I have a resounding echo in my head. It is the voice of a 14 year old girl in a dangerously undisciplined Hackney (school which was awash with drug dealers and ne'er-do-wells) while on a supply assignment saying

"That was the best science lesson I've ever had. I wish you could be our permanent teacher"

I nearly wept I was so overwhelmed. Later the same day standing between two fighting boys and acting as the receptacle for both of their punches I had to concede defeat and accepted a job in medical engineering. Stupidly or otherwise I am still irresistably drawn toward teaching but with the sorry state of education in the UK after so much governmental tampering I feel that NZ may offer better prospects. This is particularly important for our son, Alex, who is about to enter secondary education. Quite frankly the schools available to him here are not very promising (with particular regard to behaviour) and we are not keen to send him. We feel our options are

1 I get a job in a good secondary school and get him in that way.
2 We move to another place in the catchment for an appropriate school
3 Teach him at home (and get alot poorer)
4 Try our luck in NZ

We have researched NZ quite exhaustively (even by trawling this forum) to gauge facts, impressions and opinions. We are still quite determined to give it a go. I have spent many years in Oz which gives me some perspective on the grumbles and moans of immigrants (I was a teenage whinging pommy basxxxd!!). I am sure that if we take the huge step of moving O/S (as far as you can go) we are surely going to find things that we will sorely miss but I have grown up feeling that I have no fixed home. When I'm in the UK, I wish I was in Oz and when I was in Oz I wished I was in the UK. So now I want to wish I was either in the UK or Oz instead of NZ. If that doesn't work I could be in Oz wishing I was in NZ or the UK. I could even be in NZ thinking why didn't we go to Canada!! If you have ever lived in more than one place for a significant length of time you will always feel unsettled. That is the main reason people spend so much energy whinging. Humans are resistant to change but also thrive on it. So we will dare to change - there is alot of world to see.

Er.......oh yes your questions!!! (sorry! went into a bit of a rant)

What age do you teach?
7 - 18 is the age group

I don't know about this agency though, do you have a website add for them?
www.emigration.uk.com

Kind regards
Ali

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:58 am
Been In welly 7 years

Ianm41 is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are a family of four, one child over 16 (and thus an adult in medical terms).
Costs so far are £116 (EOI) + £20 (2 x Police certificates) + £180 (4 x X-rays) + £430 (4 x Medicals).
Then there is a £540 ITA application fee plus £460 Migrant Levy (Migrant Levy is £115 per person capped at a maximum of £460 )
So you're looking at the better part of £2k as things stand.

Medicals can be got cheaper at some clinics (depends on the children's ages). However, the rules change on April 5th 2005, and medicals are probably going to get considerably more expensive :scared: under the new stricter checks.

John.

WOW thanks for that I tried looking on the NZIS web site but I find it quite hard to navigate and could not find all the details I required..so with two kids...one 6 and one 18 months we wil be looking at £2k,...well at least now we know thanks again
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Damages
Hi

I am in an odd but perhaps advantageous position with regard to teaching. I have a PGCE in which I am trained as a secondary teacher Science with physics as my subject speciality although I am doing my QTS year in primary because I have an intense interest in the transition between primary and secondary education. I am not too sure how this is likely to translate in the emigration process but I have extraordinarily good subject knowledge in physics (particularly nuclear, radiation and particle physics). Among the drawbacks however is the 'I'm no spring chicken' syndrome. I did my PGCE at a late stage and to top it off I was tempted into a medical engineering post for the past three years. I have a resounding echo in my head. It is the voice of a 14 year old girl in a dangerously undisciplined Hackney (school which was awash with drug dealers and ne'er-do-wells) while on a supply assignment saying

"That was the best science lesson I've ever had. I wish you could be our permanent teacher"

I nearly wept I was so overwhelmed. Later the same day standing between two fighting boys and acting as the receptacle for both of their punches I had to concede defeat and accepted a job in medical engineering. Stupidly or otherwise I am still irresistably drawn toward teaching but with the sorry state of education in the UK after so much governmental tampering I feel that NZ may offer better prospects. This is particularly important for our son, Alex, who is about to enter secondary education. Quite frankly the schools available to him here are not very promising (with particular regard to behaviour) and we are not keen to send him. We feel our options are

1 I get a job in a good secondary school and get him in that way.
2 We move to another place in the catchment for an appropriate school
3 Teach him at home (and get alot poorer)
4 Try our luck in NZ

We have researched NZ quite exhaustively (even by trawling this forum) to gauge facts, impressions and opinions. We are still quite determined to give it a go. I have spent many years in Oz which gives me some perspective on the grumbles and moans of immigrants (I was a teenage whinging pommy basxxxd!!). I am sure that if we take the huge step of moving O/S (as far as you can go) we are surely going to find things that we will sorely miss but I have grown up feeling that I have no fixed home. When I'm in the UK, I wish I was in Oz and when I was in Oz I wished I was in the UK. So now I want to wish I was either in the UK or Oz instead of NZ. If that doesn't work I could be in Oz wishing I was in NZ or the UK. I could even be in NZ thinking why didn't we go to Canada!! If you have ever lived in more than one place for a significant length of time you will always feel unsettled. That is the main reason people spend so much energy whinging. Humans are resistant to change but also thrive on it. So we will dare to change - there is alot of world to see.

Er.......oh yes your questions!!! (sorry! went into a bit of a rant)

7 - 18 is the age group

www.emigration.uk.com

Kind regards
Ali
Hi Ali,

I used to live in Hackney and I can personally vouch that it really is awash with drug dealers and n'er do well's I take my hat off to you for daring to set foot in a hackney school! :scared:
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:37 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help!

[QUOTE=debnjohn]Lily34,
Agreed! Get your EOI in ASAP! I put mine in mid Jan with 110 points and was pulled out almost immediately! We now have recieved our application for residence and have medicals booked for Wed 4th March. It's all going sooooo quick now. Scary but fantastic.

Good Luck Lily
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Biddy]
Lily34,
Agreed! Get your EOI in ASAP! I put mine in mid Jan with 110 points and was pulled out almost immediately! We now have recieved our application for residence and have medicals booked for Wed 4th March. It's all going sooooo quick now. Scary but fantastic.

Good Luck Lily
wow,that is quick!We're just finishing the EOI now, aiming to have in within the next 2 weeks. Thats really good news, sounds like as long as you have the basic points, they'll accept you Where are you planning on settling and what are you planning to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.