Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help - 0545 arrival in Auckland!

Help - 0545 arrival in Auckland!

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of
Default Help - 0545 arrival in Auckland!

Hi everyone
I'm in a pickle.

We're on the early flight from London through LAX to Auckland. I gather you can't check-in to hotels earlier than 2pm (according to helpful person at tourist board). So, what have people done with their luggage in the interim? We are travelling with our lovely little girl who will have just turned 3 and I'm 5 months pregnant so lugging them round is not an option. We're thinking about a day room at the airport for a few hours but to be honest we just want to get on with our recce - we've only got 16 days. Any suggestions for where to store luggage in the city centre would be gratefully received. I have emailed a couple of apartment hotels that we're interested in staying at to see if they would store anything but no-one has come back yet. Obviously we could pay for the previous night's accommodation but the thought of spending $180 if there is another way just fills me with grumpiness!!

Hope you can help!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help - 0545 arrival in Auckland!

Originally Posted by hosebergine
Hi everyone
I'm in a pickle.

We're on the early flight from London through LAX to Auckland. I gather you can't check-in to hotels earlier than 2pm (according to helpful person at tourist board). So, what have people done with their luggage in the interim? We are travelling with our lovely little girl who will have just turned 3 and I'm 5 months pregnant so lugging them round is not an option. We're thinking about a day room at the airport for a few hours but to be honest we just want to get on with our recce - we've only got 16 days. Any suggestions for where to store luggage in the city centre would be gratefully received. I have emailed a couple of apartment hotels that we're interested in staying at to see if they would store anything but no-one has come back yet. Obviously we could pay for the previous night's accommodation but the thought of spending $180 if there is another way just fills me with grumpiness!!

Hope you can help!
Have you asked the hotel or wherever you are first staying if you can arrive earlier and check in and leave the luggage there? Then I guess you wander round feeling wide awake, drink lots of coffee etc, before 2pm when you can go back and hit the sack?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

Well I've emailed them but they haven't responded yet - pregnancy turns me into a lady in a hurry We arrive in four weeks and I want to get sorted. If we ever do emigrate I fear my head will explode with the stress!!!!!

Anyone else an NZ obsessive?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've emailed them but they haven't responded yet - pregnancy turns me into a lady in a hurry We arrive in four weeks and I want to get sorted. If we ever do emigrate I fear my head will explode with the stress!!!!!

How are you getting around whilst you are over here? Car? Campervan? Hang out at the airport til you pick that up and then stick the bags in that!

It's really hard to cover all basis, particularly when preggers, I know, I've got 4 kids! We emmigrated and I organised everything and everyone, including the 2 dogs, but I forgot to organise how we picked dogs & crates up, and got a family of 6 down to Papamoa from Auckland. Ended up with a clapped out, dented MPV & trailer. Didn't really matter, worked out in the end!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:19 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll say forget the email, you must have their phone number off the internet so call them and ask direct. It'll cost less than a couple of quid and that'll sort you wories no problem as I I'm sure they'll store your stuff for a while.

Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Relax. No one will turn you away from the hotel you've booked in. Simply go there with your your luggage which they'll take and probably let you ilnto the room as well. The day begins really early in NZ and you'll find that
unlike some places in the Uk folks are already up and about by six in the morning. At least you'll get rid of your luggage at the hotel and be able to relax and have breakfast.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for those calming suggestions. I'm a right worry-wart!!! Our plan is to spend 2 nights in Auckland then pick up a hire car to scoot north for a bit of diving etc then pass back through Auckland (possibly staying over to catch up with estate agents / recruiters) before venturing further south ending up with a few days in Wellington to take in the sights and check out some recruiters and estate agents down there. Then we'll jump on the plane and talk about the rest of our lives. Perhaps we just need to get over there and I'll be a bit more chilled out with some Kiwi vibes
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Initially, I think you should take it easy - relax. Don't over-plan or you'll be unable to see anything for looking too hard!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 5:53 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

• Call the hotel directly and tell them what time you're arriving
  • Explain your family situation and ask that if any rooms become available for an early check-in, please could you go at/near the top of the list to be considered for them
  • Let them know you'll be leaving your bags with them when you do get there, if a room's not available when you get there

Sorted.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:40 pm
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice

As peops have said, phone the hotel. They will at least let you keep your bags there till check-in time. If they have a room free from the night before they normally let you check in early without hassle if you speak to them. Last year we arrived at every hotel and every campsite well before check-in without problems, so long as we spoke to them (two kids in tow helped though!)
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help - 0545 arrival in Auckland!

Hi there remember although you arive at that time it will take a while to get through customs and get your bags.
I googled Auckland airport for you and found a place that will store suitcases (information centre at the airport) this may be an option for you.

http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/Guide/services.php

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!
Cheers
Cally
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely be able to leave your luggage at the hotel until check-in time but seriously I really think you will want to hit the sack straightaway and if 'playing the pregnancy card' in advance doesn't work (It probably will -just ask for early check-in) I would seriously consider booking for the night before as well. Your health and wellbeing is the most important thing, especially in your condition and with a young child.

I was in tears from exhaustion when I finally arrived at Wellington at 1pm NZ time and I'd only come from Singapore via Christchurch and I was not pregnant. One of my kids was asleep in my arms also...probably accounts for my exhaustion!

It's very tiring especially if have no stopover to gradually adjust to the time zone changes.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Well I've taken a bit of everyone's advice! Booked a hotel, requested storage there until check-in and will phone them just before we leave the UK to say why early check-in / storage is pretty important! Thanks all, you've been jolly helpful