Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello to you all - Newbie with questions

Hello to you all - Newbie with questions

Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of
Default Hello to you all - Newbie with questions

Hello Folks

I'm new to this site and would like you to know how useful it has been.
I have a few questions, so it might sound like the Spanish Inquisition
Hubby, the 2 kids and myself are thinking of moving to NZ (there's a suprise!!)
I've heard the education system is fantastic (2 boys aged 7 & 10) is this true?
We've just sent an email to a couple of telecommunication companies to see what the job prospects are like for Hubby, but they are on the immediate shortage list, so we'll have to wait and see.
I've heard mixed meassages about the weather throughout the year, I've been told it's much better than hear in the soggy wet UK, and also that it's just like the UK with lots of rain, which is it?

What about thte cost of living, is it better, on a par or worse than the UK?

Oh I could go on, but I'll post questions in a block as and when I think about them.

I look forward to any replies and advise you might have.

Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hello to you all - Newbie with questions

HI JACKY G HERE
we've only been here about a week,so i can only give you my opinion so far.
schools;dont know if the education system is any better than uk.i think it would be hard to stay here for few years then go back and try to have your child fit back into education system back home(more so secondary pupils)
cost of living;i find it more expensive,but were starting to find cheaper alternatives to uk brands.if you buy like you would back home it is expensive.you have to live the kiwi way.
what i will say regarding schools is that they have old fashioned standards which i think is great.they are very strict on the social side of things and i think britain can do with some of that.teach them a bit of respect.gl with your choice.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi me again
forgot about weather;were in auckland locals are going on about how cold it is just now,there all wearing jackets and scarfs;we were sitting sun bathing yesterday;they cant believe us.im from scotland so this is like our summer,cooler at nights,but i think its great and this is as bad as it gets apparantly.does rain but drys up as quick as it starts.but its very green here.lovely scenery so a bit of rain small price to pay for all this lovely views.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:41 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catkin09
Hello Folks

I'm new to this site and would like you to know how useful it has been.
I have a few questions, so it might sound like the Spanish Inquisition
Hubby, the 2 kids and myself are thinking of moving to NZ (there's a suprise!!)
I've heard the education system is fantastic (2 boys aged 7 & 10) is this true?
We've just sent an email to a couple of telecommunication companies to see what the job prospects are like for Hubby, but they are on the immediate shortage list, so we'll have to wait and see.
I've heard mixed meassages about the weather throughout the year, I've been told it's much better than hear in the soggy wet UK, and also that it's just like the UK with lots of rain, which is it?

What about thte cost of living, is it better, on a par or worse than the UK?

Oh I could go on, but I'll post questions in a block as and when I think about them.

I look forward to any replies and advise you might have.

Thanks

hi Catkin09

Welcome to BE!

I'll try and answer your questions in order

Schools - IMO primary schools are better than in the UK. Children are treated as children not a statistic for league tables! Our girls, especially our eldest has groen so much in confidence especially in the 3 months we've been here. Kids are taught to look at the consequences of things, how to be respectful and how to be responsible. I can't comment on senior schools, as my 2 aren't there yet!

For jobs here, have you looked on www.seek.co.nz

As for the weather, I think we're getting the better end of the deal at the moment & it's winter here. If you look here it'll show the weather for the whole of NZ www.metservice.co.nz

BTW it's forecast to be 17deg here today!

Shopping. If you shop the 'Kiwi' way then life is more affordable. By the Kiwi way I mean buy in bulk when it's on offer!! and wherever possible buy the biggest size too, loads cheaper. I do lots more home cooking here too, which has the approval of the whole family. It does take some getting used to but once you're in a 'routine' it works well. Depending on where you live, you may need to go to more than one shop for your weekly!! I go to Countdown for the basics, another place for my meat & bin inns for stuff like spices, baking powder etc. You buy it all loose there so you my what you need/want! Our shopping bill for the week usually averages around $180 -$200 for 5 of us.

Hope that all Helps

Sarah
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Shopping. If you shop the 'Kiwi' way then life is more affordable. By the Kiwi way I mean buy in bulk when it's on offer!! and wherever possible buy the biggest size too, loads cheaper. I do lots more home cooking here too, which has the approval of the whole family. It does take some getting used to but once you're in a 'routine' it works well. Depending on where you live, you may need to go to more than one shop for your weekly!! I go to Countdown for the basics, another place for my meat & bin inns for stuff like spices, baking powder etc. You buy it all loose there so you my what you need/want! Our shopping bill for the week usually averages around $180 -$200 for 5 of us.

Sarah
"Shopping the Kiwi Way". That sounds like the title of a book.

Yeah, it's really the only way to go here if you need to watch your budget.

We also do the Bin Inn run along with trips to the butcher, baker, fruit and veg shop and weekly swings through the Pack 'n' Save for essentials. We spend about NZ$90 to NZ$120 a week on average. I think we get away with a slightly less than average cost because we absolutely don't buy fizzy drinks, crisps or other cruddy toxic stuff like that (I can't help editorialising about junk food).
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Hi all

Thanks for your replies so far. I agree respect needs to be bought back in to the education system here.
The weather sounds bliss!! I've lost so much veg on my allotment due to the weather, which has caused serious blight, and my poor chickens have asked me to buy them some wellington boots and waterproof coats
Job wise for hubby, I sent an email to a telecoms company earlier and they've asked to see his CV ASAP
The cost of living doesn't sound too bad, I'm a Yorkshire lass who won't pay full price for anything. And my weekly shop here is usually about £130:curse:
I look forward to hearing from anymore of you lucky people already out there.
It's now getting late and I need my beauty sleep, got work in the morning
Thanks again
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

We have been here nearly a year we had a bit of windy weather in the beginning and one frost last week.On the whole its pretty mild compared to uk even from the south east.Although we have had some pretty strong winds and managed to miss the twisters that hit up the road where people lost roof tiles and fence panels.I have two boys 8 & 10 and they have adapted really well enjoy school and hanging on the monkey bars.They spend more time on English and maths.In year 6 have had waterwise which is sailing and kayaking and camp for 4 days down near Cambridge.
Cost of living for food shopping is cheaper for us again we cook from scratch no pre made stuff . Housing is really dependant on where you come from the uk and where you end up here and how you want to live.Saying that the interest rate has gone up to 8.25 this morning so in time it might make a difference.
For us we have more family time no m25 and a more relaxed life so far.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

IMO I wouldn`t say that the education system is better, I would say that it is very different. Especially for the 5-11 age groups. Much more focus on activity and social issues. Both my kids are finding the work very easy which is quite nice as its giving them a chance to settle, but I would emphasise that its not better but I would guess that depends a little on there education now.
The cost of living I would agree with everyone else. You probably wont do a weeks shopping in one shop.
The weather. We too were from the South East of England , which always seemed to catch the best weather. It very much depends on where you move to here. In the Bay Of Plenty, the winters are mild. It rarely goes below 10 degrees during the day and you do get days (3 last week) when you can sit out in the sun in a T shirt. Its supposed to be the middle of winter at the moment so if this is as bad as it gets , I say "bring it on". The weather here is definately better.
I would strongly recomend a recce, if you can. Its a massive move and you really need to suss out areas.

All the best
Ash
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Hi, I'm from Berkhamsted, Herts. and today's forecast is is light showers with highs of 17C - it hasn't stopped drizzling all day!
What happened to having better weather in the South East!

Doesn't make the summer hols any easier!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Wilma & Co & Donna F both have kids the age of yours, all love school. Send them a PM, they'll be full of info.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

We find the homework,the system,the sports,the motivation,the teachers,the pupils all to be better than in the UK,my kids would say the same-and often they don't even mind doing the homework.(Ages 10,9 and 3)
I still say cost of living is worse here. The weather is better-and we're in Wellington.
NZ-bigger than UK, with only 4.2 million people. Now that I love.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:00 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by danny.f
NZ-bigger than UK, with only 4.2 million people. Now that I love.
Hey, where did you get the extra 200.000 Kiwis? Are they over on holiday from Sydney visiting the rellies?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Hey, where did you get the extra 200.000 Kiwis? Are they over on holiday from Sydney visiting the rellies?

Here maybe?

http://www.stats.govt.nz/populationclock.htm
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Oh.

Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Oh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.