Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello wonderful people

Hello wonderful people

Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:43 am
Just Joined

RowanandRick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello wonderful people

What an amazing site and support network this is.
Im 23 and full time mother to my beautiful 8 month old boy my husband is 27 and full and over time slave to somebody I dont know. Hes a mechanical engineer and so far so good he gets offered work everywhere he goes.
we spent 3 months in nz 2 of which in Gisborne with a friend. My OH had been there before on holiday after living in aus for 18 months where he loved it but got very low and lonely.

we think we might apply for a skilled migrant visa. We have been trying to make a decision since the day we got back 17 months ago. We know what the lifestyle is like and we like it alot. we know what we can achieve here and what we will never have here. But Family! FAMILY!
Any advice on making that decision would help.
We dont have alot of money and it will be a long time before we can get on the property market here to afford a box flat surrounded by busy roads. Were country people stuck in town! We want our children to live outdoors.
I want to study Herbal medicine and have a large garden full of veggies and herbs and England sadly im not sure if we can get that here. not untill the children have grown up anyway.
I love our families. they all frustrate us like all families.

I wonder were we will be when in a position to give advice to others.
Thankyou to all in advance and its nice to be apart of this awesome site.

Last edited by RowanandRick; Apr 26th 2012 at 7:45 am.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:47 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello wonderful people

Hello RowanandRick

My advice to you would be do lots and lots of research. I'm afraid its not cheap to move anywhere nowadays but even more so to the other side of the world. As you keep mentioning family you would also want, if you came, to try and keep some money in reserve for journeys back be it organised or have to go type trips. Also I would say talk to your family about wanting to move and the reasons why you think it would be good for your family unit to give it a go, you don't have to make it a forever move.

Look forward to hearing more
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:00 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello wonderful people

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierge in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary