British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello from Timaru (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-timaru-508650/)

Stef_Paul Jan 24th 2008 12:26 am

Hello from Timaru

Hello everyone,

We have been in New Zealand now 1 month and our new hometown of Timaru for 2 weeks. Is anyone on here near us? My name is Stef and my husband is called Paul and we are from Chesterfield in the UK. We have come out here on full Residency Visas under the skilled migrant category as my husband had a job offer and has the relevant qualifications.

We are really pleased to have made it out here after all the months of planning and so far we think it is wonderful. I suppose we are still in the "honeymoon period" at the moment but so far so good. Paul is loving his new job and getting on well with everyone. The only issue I have got is it is alot harder for me to find work than I thought it would be. I don't have a skill, I work in administration and those jobs are hard to come by here. I need to find one soon or I will go crazy:blink::unsure: LOL.

We had the opportunity of travelling through the north island on the way to Timaru and NZ is so beautiful. We visited Auckland, Coromandel, Rotorua, lake Taupo, Wellington and Christchurch.

I thought it would be nice to join the site to see other peoples experiences and see if anyone is in Timaru also. Emigrating is a big thing so anyone who is going through the same as us or been through would be great to chat to!:)

Thanks

Stef

BEVS Jan 24th 2008 1:36 am

Re: Hello from Timaru

Hi there and welcome to this forum.

What a lovely opening post. :)

Planty from this site also lives in Timaru. Here is A LINK to a previous thread .

JasonSouthYorks Jan 24th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5831351)

Planty from this site also lives in Timaru. Here is A LINK to a previous thread .

I've pm'd you.
sarah

Stef_Paul Jan 24th 2008 9:40 am

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 5832412)
I've pm'd you.
sarah

Thanks for the PM, unfortunatly I cannot seem to open it because I need to have posted 3 things according to the administrator:unsure:? Hopefully this will become my second post and I will post another shortly to see if that works! Hope so, I am very keen to read!

Thank you

Stef

Stef_Paul Jan 24th 2008 9:41 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5831351)

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate that. Hopefully I will be on here alot, especially if I cannot get a job, LOL:D

Glad there is someone else in Timaru!!!! Woo hoo:rofl:

Stef

vincesam Jan 24th 2008 11:03 am

Hi Steph

Sam(antha) here, originally from Sheffield. We're in the process of completing our EOI, stuck on 90 points....can you offer any ideas/things that might help us.
Partner is a screenprinter, has a job offer, but don't seem to be able to get any points for me.....need to get 100 to get into pool...
is it better to use an agent to help us or is the process do-able on our own...?

Any help / suggestions gratefully received...
Sam
x:)

BEVS Jan 24th 2008 8:52 pm

It is doable on your own , especially if you already have a job offer..

A breakdown of the points would be helpful. Can you start a thread in Immigration showing this and then folks will come in and try to help.

Ta

Stef_Paul Jan 24th 2008 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by vincesam (Post 5833016)
Hi Steph

Sam(antha) here, originally from Sheffield. We're in the process of completing our EOI, stuck on 90 points....can you offer any ideas/things that might help us.
Partner is a screenprinter, has a job offer, but don't seem to be able to get any points for me.....need to get 100 to get into pool...
is it better to use an agent to help us or is the process do-able on our own...?

Any help / suggestions gratefully received...
Sam
x:)

I was just going to say before Bevs did that you don't need to use an agent, they are very expensive and I feel that you still do everything anyway. Save that money for when you get here!!!! let everyone know what points you have an I am sure you will get help, everyone here is really nice and the job offer your partnet has will help. :thumbup: Good luck!

planty Jan 28th 2008 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul (Post 5832717)
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate that. Hopefully I will be on here alot, especially if I cannot get a job, LOL:D

Glad there is someone else in Timaru!!!! Woo hoo:rofl:

Stef

Welcome to Timaru!
Have sent you a PM.

Debbie.