British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello from Simon and Lorraine (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-simon-lorraine-436198/)

simonandlozzie Mar 21st 2007 1:34 pm

Hello from Simon and Lorraine

Hi, let me introduce my family. My name is Lorraine and my hubby is Simon. We have 2 children and 1 St. Bernard dog (yes very large). We have both decided to up sticks and move to NZ. We have a friend over there who is very helpful, but your site is extremely helpful. We are looking at Auckland (probably North or West) depending on job offers. My hubby has applied for 3 jobs at the moment and we will just sit tight and keep looking/applying. I have my own business in the UK, but am quite happy to sell it or give it to my business partner, as I've had enough:eek: as well as taxi driver to the children and their various clubs and activities! We are soooo much looking forward to a more relaxing lifestyle (hopefully) whereby we can have time for ourselves and the children. OK, I know the grass isn't always greener, but after waying up the pro's and con's of life in England, we are ready to take the plunge! We are only in our early 40's (18 at heart though ;) ) and feel now is the time. This forum is brilliant and so we shall be watching it avidly for as much help as possible.

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 7:34 pm

Re: Hello from Simon and Lorraine

Originally Posted by simonandlozzie (Post 4542308)
Hi, let me introduce my family. My name is Lorraine and my hubby is Simon. We have 2 children and 1 St. Bernard dog (yes very large). We have both decided to up sticks and move to NZ. We have a friend over there who is very helpful, but your site is extremely helpful. We are looking at Auckland (probably North or West) depending on job offers. My hubby has applied for 3 jobs at the moment and we will just sit tight and keep looking/applying. I have my own business in the UK, but am quite happy to sell it or give it to my business partner, as I've had enough:eek: as well as taxi driver to the children and their various clubs and activities! We are soooo much looking forward to a more relaxing lifestyle (hopefully) whereby we can have time for ourselves and the children. OK, I know the grass isn't always greener, but after waying up the pro's and con's of life in England, we are ready to take the plunge! We are only in our early 40's (18 at heart though ;) ) and feel now is the time. This forum is brilliant and so we shall be watching it avidly for as much help as possible.

Welcome to the forum, good luck to hubby on the job front...what is it he does?

Hope all goes well for you and if you have any questions plenty of people on here are happy to help.
Debbie

Leighlou Mar 21st 2007 11:44 pm

Hi there, Best of luck with the jobs. What stage are you at? Have you submitted EOI, got ITA..?

We've submitted and now been selected from the pool, which at first we thought was fab, and the waiting over, only now to be stuck waiting for our EOI to be "vetted". I suppose for them to be sure we have the points we say we have. All v. frustrating, but have found this site invaluable, as so many people are in the same boat, or have experienced it all already, that they can give you a bit more insight. V. helpful :cool:
Cheers.

P2L Mar 21st 2007 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4544710)
Hi there, Best of luck with the jobs. What stage are you at? Have you submitted EOI, got ITA..?

We've submitted and now been selected from the pool, which at first we thought was fab, and the waiting over, only now to be stuck waiting for our EOI to be "vetted". I suppose for them to be sure we have the points we say we have. All v. frustrating, but have found this site invaluable, as so many people are in the same boat, or have experienced it all already, that they can give you a bit more insight. V. helpful :cool:
Cheers.

Leighlou

Congratulations on being selected. whilst you're waiting to find out if you're gonna get an ITA & TBH honest to save your sanity for further down the line :eek: can I suggest that you start gathering all your information together now, then when it arrives it should be relatively straight forward.

Things to sort include
Police Checks
Medical & X rays - find a panel doctor on the list from NZIS. Be warned they vary in price greatly depending on where you live. Check that they include blood tests too.

Work References & Comprehensive evidence of work history

Qualifications - if they need assessing do it now!!

Relationship evidence

Any Custody Issues require proof of consent for removal of children from the UK or if no contact is maintained then a sworn Stat. Declaration has to be made

Hope that Helps :eek: :eek:

Maz Mar 22nd 2007 3:23 am

Welcome to the site, Lorraine & Simon! *waves* :)

cathynclive Mar 22nd 2007 10:56 am

Hi Simon and Lorraine,

We've just submitted our EOI this morning - oh dear, I thought that we were nearly there. I think that we've done things a%*e about face, we've already done the police checks, blood tests and x-rays and have our medicals tomorrow:( Can anyone tell me what to expect from the medical? Are we talking blood pressure check etc or are we talking full cavity search:eek: i'm getting myself in a right ol tizz about it.

Cheers,

Cathy

simonandlozzie Mar 22nd 2007 1:58 pm

Hi everyone
Many thanks for all your replies. Well to be honest, we havent done anything yet (EOI or ITA) as we thought we would apply for that once Simon has been offered a job. Are we doing things the wrong way round? Should we be applying for these now and then apply for a job? Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Lorraine

Leighlou Mar 22nd 2007 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4544754)
Leighlou

Congratulations on being selected. whilst you're waiting to find out if you're gonna get an ITA & TBH honest to save your sanity for further down the line :eek: can I suggest that you start gathering all your information together now, then when it arrives it should be relatively straight forward.

Things to sort include
Police Checks
Medical & X rays - find a panel doctor on the list from NZIS. Be warned they vary in price greatly depending on where you live. Check that they include blood tests too.

Work References & Comprehensive evidence of work history

Qualifications - if they need assessing do it now!!

Relationship evidence

Any Custody Issues require proof of consent for removal of children from the UK or if no contact is maintained then a sworn Stat. Declaration has to be made

Hope that Helps

Hi Kev&Sarah, Many thanks for this. I just filled in our police check requests last night, so that's one thing done at least. And, I'll start checking the doctors out (thanks for the tip re: fees including blood tests). Regarding the Work references and evidence of work history, what exactly is needed? And, will marriage cert cover relationship evidence? Fortunately no custody issues other than our two aged dogs (OH wants them to be left here with parents, and I still think they should come with us). Definitely feels better when one has things to do (other than house work and clearing up after two monster children):)

Hi Simon & Lorraine, re: which way round to do things is really purely down to you, and your personal time scales etc. Have you checked how many points you have without a job offer? If you are in a rush the more points you have the quicker you should be selected for an ITA and a job offer puts you to the top of the queue. But, if you have a reasonable level of points and are not desperate to get out there asap, then perhaps you can proceed without the job offer.

We personally have decided to wait until we get out to NZ before job hunting. Our own thinking for this is that if Mark (OH) has a job to go to, he could well have to leave ahead of the rest of the family, I'll have to pack up the house myself (whilst being a temporary single parent) and then when we arrive Mark will be up to his neck in a new job, and will have no real time to try and settle in (again leaving me to house hunt etc), so we kinda hope it'll be less stressful to arrive jobless. Now obviously the downside to all of this is that we have no income until he does get out and get a job (or god forbid, I might have to get a job (perish the thought! ;) )). So at the moment we are not actively job hunting, but should the job from heaven arrive, we may be tempted to apply.:unsure: We'll see.

Anyway, enough from me. Best of luck and hope this helps.:thumbup:

cottageinthesky Mar 23rd 2007 6:32 am

[QUOTE=Leighlou;4548872] ... Fortunately no custody issues other than our two aged dogs (OH wants them to be left here with parents, and I still think they should come with us)/QUOTE]

Hi there Simon and Lorraine - personally, I wouldn't subject aged dogs to the journey to NZ - some dogs make the journey really well, but others, even young animals, are traumatised - if you have parents who would be willing to look after them, perhaps that would be a good result for you all - just my thoughts - obviously you know your own dogs.

karonious Mar 23rd 2007 12:56 pm

Hi and welcome,
don't let the early 40's thing be a barrier. We have raised our boys - now all in their 20's and decided to move to NZ. We have been here nearly 6 months and love it here. Karma for your post.
Never too late!
Karen B

simonandlozzie Mar 23rd 2007 4:28 pm

Hi everyone
Many thanks for all your helpful hints and tips.
First of all - reply to Debbie: my hubby works as a sound engineer for an events company - dealing with conferences, seminars, bands (lighting, rigging, sound etc etc).
Cottageinthesky - thanks for your reply regarding your dogs, but we really would like to bring our dog here as we feel she would be too traumatised by being re-homed (again) as we originally got her from a rescue centre and she was a complete mess.... so I suppose we will have to take the chance (but to be honest she is so big, it will be hard to home her here).
Leighlou - you are sooooo brave just taking the plunge and moving over, good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
And thanks to everyone else for all your support. We can't wait now, my hubby is on the pc everyday searching for jobs... fingers crossed.
Take care
Lorraine

Leighlou Mar 24th 2007 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky (Post 4550446)
- personally, I wouldn't subject aged dogs to the journey to NZ - some dogs make the journey really well, but others, even young animals, are traumatised - if you have parents who would be willing to look after them, perhaps that would be a good result for you all - just my thoughts - obviously you know your own dogs.

Hi Cottage in the sky - thanks for the bit on aged dogs. We are almost certainly going to be leaving them. Just me feeling so guilty and rotten still about it all, that I keep thinking (wishing really) that we will take them. Good to have someone elses opinion (with some knowedge) backing up what we have decided. Many thanks, Leighlou.:cool:

Boopy Mar 25th 2007 9:27 am

Welcome Lorraine & Simon,

We're in our 40's, been here 9 months and love it. Go for it - life's too short for regrets.
Good Luck.

simonandlozzie Mar 25th 2007 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 4558629)
Welcome Lorraine & Simon,

We're in our 40's, been here 9 months and love it. Go for it - life's too short for regrets.
Good Luck.

Hi Boopy
Many thanks. Did you have a job to go too or did you just 'take a chance'?
My hubby and I are visiting Excel in a few weeks time for an emigration roadshow - not sure if they are any good, but we can at least try it.
I've seen a beautiful house on the internet and stuck it on my kitchen cupboard, I've told my hubby that's our inspiration :-)
Many thanks
Lorraine

P2L Mar 25th 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by simonandlozzie (Post 4559254)
Hi Boopy
Many thanks. Did you have a job to go too or did you just 'take a chance'?
My hubby and I are visiting Excel in a few weeks time for an emigration roadshow - not sure if they are any good, but we can at least try it.
I've seen a beautiful house on the internet and stuck it on my kitchen cupboard, I've told my hubby that's our inspiration :-)
Many thanks
Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

Try this Expo this weekend coming at Earls Court. We visited last year & found it very useful. Plenty of other people have used it too :thumbup:
http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/