Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello from Reading

Hello from Reading

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from Reading

Hello all

Myself, hubby and our 3 children aged 12,10 and 7 are hoping to be with you all in NZ this time next year all being well.

I hope you don`t mind me askinga few questions

My hubby who will be the applicant is a Nurse, we are looking at 2 possible places to be Napier in the North Island and Christchursh in the south.

Hubby has a friend who is a kiwi and is coming home in Sept this year,and she lives in Napier so would be handy to live near, but we also like the Christchurch area from we have seen and read.

So could i please have some views from anyone in these 2 areas, that might help us decide where might be best .

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all
Default Re: Hello from Reading

Hi and welcome to the forum

I qualify in September as an adult nurse and are hoping to move to NZ in 18 months time. I know it seems ages away but I've to gain experience and my OH is studying for a degree in IT!! We aren't 100% sure where we want to finally end up, I guess the job situation will decide. There are plenty of nurses on here, who are more than willing to help Boopy is a mind of information so maybe pm her!! With regards to nursing she is in Wellington but maybe able to shed some light on the areas that you are looking at!!

Ask away with any questions, everyone is so helpful and friendly

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373
Hello all

Myself, hubby and our 3 children aged 12,10 and 7 are hoping to be with you all in NZ this time next year all being well.

My hubby who will be the applicant is a Nurse, we are looking at 2 possible places to be Napier in the North Island and Christchursh in the south.

Hubby has a friend who is a kiwi and is coming home in Sept this year,and she lives in Napier so would be handy to live near, but we also like the Christchurch area from we have seen and read.

So could i please have some views from anyone in these 2 areas, that might help us decide where might be best .

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:29 am
Just Joined

delcat will become famous soon enoughdelcat will become famous soon enough

Hi and welcome

Husband and I live in Christchurch, been here 9 months now after 2 years in Auckland, but he is originally from the Hawkes Bay and his folks still live just outside Napier (lovely little town called Havelock North).
Both areas are lovely, as a city I personally prefer Christchurch, just because its prettier and seems more 'established'. It's an easy city to get out of and there are heaps of nice places to go to, and it's also a lovely city centre to walk around - loads more character than Napier I think.
However both areas have a lot to offer and good climates (proper seasons and not too wet!). I guess the winters are harsher down south, but then there are more ski fields and the Southern Alps are only a 2 hour drive away... Both cities are also near nice beaches, so I guess its a hard choice!! the Hawkes Bay beaches are nicer but a bit of a drive from Napier, and the ones around Christchurch are only 15 -20 minutes from town centre.
Tough one. Suppose ultimately its a choice of being based on the North or South Island and job prospects - there are probably more opportunities in Christchurch.

Good luck with it all
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for answering me, i think hubby is set on Christchurch so it looks like thats where we are heading

So anyone know of the good areas to base in and what areas to avoid i would be happy to recieve your advice.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hello all

Thanks
Hi moomoo,

We moved from Reading to NZ in June last year to Christchurch.
Where abouts are you from,we came from Woodley.
We live in Rangiora 25 mins from the city a easy commute.

Good luck with your plans and ask away with the questions.

Helen
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi.
I'm bunging you some welcome karma.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hjmilligan
Hi moomoo,

We moved from Reading to NZ in June last year to Christchurch.
Where abouts are you from,we came from Woodley.
We live in Rangiora 25 mins from the city a easy commute.

Good luck with your plans and ask away with the questions.

Helen
Hi Helen

We used to live in Woodley, now in Shinfield, Rangiora is area we like.....how weird it that, but hubby thinks Christchurch area as he might be able to walk to work.

How are you finding it out there and help would be very gratefully recieved.

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:07 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi Helen

We used to live in Woodley, now in Shinfield, Rangiora is area we like.....how weird it that, but hubby thinks Christchurch area as he might be able to walk to work.

How are you finding it out there and help would be very gratefully received.

Ginny
If he wants to walk into the city centre in Christchurch you should be looking into suburbs like St Albans, Merivale, Fendalton, perhaps Riccarton, maybe Papanui, Shirley or Richmond.

We live near Edgeware Road in St Albans and the city centre is about a fifteen minute stroll.

edit: I just noticed that you have three children. St Albans Primary School is a nice little school for the younger ones. Heaton Intermediate is apparently well thought of and also much of St Albans will put you into the desirable Christchurch Girls High School and Christchurch Boys High School zones.

Last edited by happynz; Jan 24th 2008 at 10:10 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, Ginny,

Dont no much about the suburbs of CHC or schools but someone will answer that on for you.

Well isnt that uncanny both from the same area! We moved here in June came over on a vistors visa husband got a job hes in the painting and got permanent residency in dec. We got 2 children jodie just turned 13 and George just turned 15(now hes legal to drive)
We love it here and made friends with others from this site who live in the area. Rangiora is very popular with british but maybe too far out if your OH wants to walk to work! Christchurch is a lovely city no way near as busy as London or Reading for that matter. The roads are lovely and wide and not much traffic,it would probably take you longer to commute from woodley to Reading than it would from Rangiora to Christchurch!!!

Good luck with your plans,plenty of people to help you out looking for areas around the CHC area.

Helen