Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello,new to all this

Hello,new to all this

Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Hello,new to all this

Hello there,I have never done this before...I am a forum virgin. My husband and I are planning on leaving Scotland and going to NZ with our 2 boys aged 7 and 5. We are planning on moving to Dunedin. I am a psychiatric nurse and I am in the process of applying to the Nursing Council of New Zealand to see if they will allow me to work in NZ as a nurse. My husband is about to finish his degree in Occupational health and safety in May. Any advice at all would be much appreciated. We are going to the Expo in Edinburgh on 23rd Feb and hope to pick up lots of info and advice there but all you folks who have been and done it must have some tips for us. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hello,new to all this

Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forum.

Have fun posting.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
Hello there,I have never done this before...I am a forum virgin. My husband and I are planning on leaving Scotland and going to NZ with our 2 boys aged 7 and 5. We are planning on moving to Dunedin. I am a psychiatric nurse and I am in the process of applying to the Nursing Council of New Zealand to see if they will allow me to work in NZ as a nurse. My husband is about to finish his degree in Occupational health and safety in May. Any advice at all would be much appreciated. We are going to the Expo in Edinburgh on 23rd Feb and hope to pick up lots of info and advice there but all you folks who have been and done it must have some tips for us. Hope to hear from you soon.
Hey, welcome!!

Make sure you set aside at least half a day for the Edinburgh expo, is it at the Corn Exchange again??

I attended last years one, basically the info I got there and the contacts I made got me me job out here, so it is very worthwhile.

Make sure you speak to Immigration about your options and points etc, they will be putting on presentations about moving/NZ/etc which are worth while as there is a lot of useful info plus a Q&A sesssion, as its a group some people may ask questions that you hadn't thought of but will be of use to you!

Take copies of your up to date CV's with you, plenty of agencies there and a few companies recruiting.

Make sure you pick up loads of literature and magazines etc, you can sit down at your leisure back home and have a good look through it, a lot of companies/agencies who aren't in atttendance will have adverts in some of these jobs papers etc.

There will be folks there to talk about banking, money transfers, shipping, house buying etc, all good info and contacts to make

Basically speak to everyone, even if its not exactaly what you are looking for, they are a friendly helpful bunch!

And most of all, just relax and enjoy it as its a worthwhile way to spend a few hours if you are serious about coming out this way!!

Good luck!!

And is that the right way to spell Weejie???
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:42 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - welcome. We're based in Dunedin, with kids about the same age as yours - feel free to ask any questions you want answered.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Irnbru14,don't know about the spelling but it's weejie as in short for Glaswegian not as in board. The expo is at Ingliston arena,thanks for the tips. Looking forward to it. Have got passes for the presentations as well as expo in general,and even better the in-laws are taking the kids so we can concentrate on the expo and not on them running amuck! Yes,we are serious about coming,the sooner the better in-fact.

Southerner,thank-you so much. You may just regret the offer as I will probably be asking lots of questions.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Irnbru14,don't know about the spelling but it's weejie as in short for Glaswegian not as in board. The expo is at Ingliston arena,thanks for the tips. Looking forward to it. Have got passes for the presentations as well as expo in general,and even better the in-laws are taking the kids so we can concentrate on the expo and not on them running amuck! Yes,we are serious about coming,the sooner the better in-fact.

Southerner,thank-you so much. You may just regret the offer as I will probably be asking lots of questions.
I always thought it was spelt Weegie...but then I am an Edinburger...

Enjoy the expo, its very useful and I left the one last year with a bag full of literature (and free pens and keyrings!) and the urge to jump on the next plane back to NZ, which you can do as Ingliston is just next door to the airport!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

bibby is a jewel in the roughbibby is a jewel in the roughbibby is a jewel in the roughbibby is a jewel in the roughbibby is a jewel in the rough

hi. im also new ti this and waiting to hear from the new zealand nursing council!!! the whole process of verification of qualifications at this end has been a nightmare.good luck