British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello from Mairangi Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-mairangi-bay-595281/)

Trenchfoot Mar 3rd 2009 8:09 pm

Hello from Mairangi Bay

I see this is the place to say hello, or tena koutou more accurately.

I'm a pom that has landed up on the North Shore with wife (6 months preggers) and 3-year old son. Been here since 18th December, previously we lived in Hampshire and we chucked it all in for the good life in the colonies (;)) - not bad here is it!

We're slowly but surely building a life after a real 'fish out of water' feeling for the first couple of weeks. We'd be keen to get involved in any Auckland meet-up's, formal or informal. Or if anyone fancies an after work beer in Rothsay Bay or Brown's Bay I'd be keen.

Cheers all
Trench

Am Loolah Mar 13th 2009 8:35 am

Re: Hello from Mairangi Bay

Hi Trench and a very warm welcome!:D
:beer:

Have some welcome karma.

Loolah

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 14th 2009 5:27 am

Wotcha!

Welcome to Auckland. Takes a wee bit of time to settle in but it's a great life out here. We are on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula & love it up here. Like being on a permanent holiday, though work does interfere with that. Great that you're settling in.

Chief V ;)

bevissa65 Mar 14th 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Trenchfoot, we have just got our ITA and hope to be in the Browns Bay area July/August time. Are you renting? If so do you think its expensive? We have been looking at some rental properties on-line and it seems pricey compared to wages! If all goes to plan we'll see you on the beach the first time the sun's out (or at Speakers Corner!!) Bevissa:thumbsup:

Trenchfoot Mar 15th 2009 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7377854)
Wotcha!

Welcome to Auckland. Takes a wee bit of time to settle in but it's a great life out here. We are on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula & love it up here. Like being on a permanent holiday, though work does interfere with that. Great that you're settling in.

Chief V ;)

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, things are slowly begining to fall in to place, we don't feel quite as 'mateless' anymore.

Cheers!
Gavin

Kags1694 Mar 15th 2009 5:09 am

Hi Trenchfoot,

We arrived 25 Feb, based in Albany but moving to Torbay next week.
If you fancy a meet up, we would love to see you. We have a son
who is 16 (the full kevin & Perry, but please dont put you off he does smile some times!!!!!)

PM me if you would like to meet up

Bryan & Karen

Trenchfoot Mar 15th 2009 5:14 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7379734)
Hi Trenchfoot, we have just got our ITA and hope to be in the Browns Bay area July/August time. Are you renting? If so do you think its expensive? We have been looking at some rental properties on-line and it seems pricey compared to wages! If all goes to plan we'll see you on the beach the first time the sun's out (or at Speakers Corner!!) Bevissa:thumbsup:

Hi Bevissa

Yeah we're renting. Is it expensive? I guess that sort of depends what you compare against. The North Shore is a pretty premium place to live, what with the beaches, access to the city etc etc. As an area it has a hell of a lot going for it... but then so do other bits of Auckland. There are cheaper areas in Auckland, but I guess where you want to live (along with where you need to live) will dictate where you end up.

What does seem to be common (amongst contributors to this forum both here and those still in the UK) is a general perception or agreement that the cost of living seems higher than in the UK. I'd say that is probably true, although some things seem comprable.

I think if you pitch in July or August it'll more likely be Speakers Corner rather than the beach - might be a tad wet and cold for the beach around then! :unsure:

Good luck with the move plans. If you have more questions ask away, happy to help if I can.

Cheers
Gavin

Trenchfoot Mar 15th 2009 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Kags1694 (Post 7380407)
Hi Trenchfoot,

We arrived 25 Feb, based in Albany but moving to Torbay next week.
If you fancy a meet up, we would love to see you. We have a son
who is 16 (the full kevin & Perry, but please dont put you off he does smile some times!!!!!)

PM me if you would like to meet up

Bryan & Karen

Just PM'd you (1st PM have sent, so hope I haven't completely buggered it up)

You are revealing your sense of humour with the Kevin and Perry comment. Apparently I'm a bit Tim (nice but...)

Gavin