Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello - hoping to move to NZ by Xmas 08

Hello - hoping to move to NZ by Xmas 08

Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice
Smile Hello - hoping to move to NZ by Xmas 08

Hello, My name is Linda and my OH is Richard, we have 3 kids and are hoping to move to NZ by xmas 08. I am a teacher and hubby a farmer and trained electrician. Want to be in the Canterbury area. Rugby mad and very excited/nervous. any advice?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:24 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - hoping to move to NZ by Xmas 08

Hello and welcome

Have you got jobs arranged, have you started applying for visas etc etc, are you going for residency or work visa, where are you from? Sorry, I've got my nosey hat on!

Sue
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to the NZ forum.

Have you started the process of emigrating at all yet or are you absolutely just starting out ? I've got my nosey hat on too.

Have some karma to get you started.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by gozzy
Hello, My name is Linda and my OH is Richard, we have 3 kids and are hoping to move to NZ by xmas 08. I am a teacher and hubby a farmer and trained electrician. Want to be in the Canterbury area. Rugby mad and very excited/nervous. any advice?
You should be OK with your and his skills.

Welcome.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:30 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Want to be in the Canterbury area. Rugby mad and very excited/nervous. any advice?
Hi - Canterbury is a big area. It takes about 3.5 hours to drive from north to south, and at least 2 hours from west to east.

There is plenty of work on farms available at the moment, with a lot of new investment in irrigation schemes and dairy conversions, mainly from about Christchurch south. Ashburton and Timaru are the main service towns. Timaru is the bigger of the two with probably better facilities (although Ashburton is handier to Christchurch).

With trades, such as electricians, it pays to understand what qualifications are transferrable, and whether any local retraining is required). Can be a bit debilitating (to say the least) for experienced guys to have to be supervised once again. And if you wish to go out on your own (which is where the best money normally is) you will need to get the licencing in order.

Hopes that helps.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

All in the hands of our agent! Waiting to hear if quals ok then take next step. Taylors are looking for work for me. Not put an EOI in yet. Fingers crossed for us. Thanks for all your advise makes me want to cry - people so helpful. Hard to get anything out of gov. agencies.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:23 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

All in the hands of our agent!
Oh man, I hope you have an honest one.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:42 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

No advice apart from: DO IT!!
and welcome to the forum!
Have some karma to help you settle in round here
Karen
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linda and welcome!
Canterbury is a great place to be - we've been in living in Timaru for over 18 months now, and we love it here!
Good luck.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Hello - hoping to move to NZ by Xmas 08

Super - what is Timaru like? Want to be between somewhere nearish to Christchurch, Ashburton and Timaru. Still waiting for my quals to be ok'ed. If ok then move to next phase.
Linda
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

Hi Linda,

Welcome and good luck with everything

Sarah
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Super - what is Timaru like? Want to be between somewhere nearish to Christchurch, Ashburton and Timaru. Still waiting for my quals to be ok'ed. If ok then move to next phase.
Linda
Linda, Starfish started a thread on the main forum about South Canty, so that might be worth a look for you.
Timaru is about 2 hours drive from Christchurch (haven't seen a traffic jam yet!!), Ashburton is about halfway between the two.
Timaru suits us - has pretty much everything we need, so we don't make too many trips to the big metropolis that is Christchurch!
Best wishes,
Debbie.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

balmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nice

Hi I've just found this site & registered.
We are using an agent & from looking on this site they don't seem that popular. We are planing to move to NZ about Nov 08 if all goes well. We sold the house & putting ourselves in the position ready to go. People keep say were brave but I wouldn't say that. May be stupid. But we'll see.
Good luck.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

We are in the same boat, just waiting for my quals to be assessed and my registration with the teaching council to go through. We hope to move out by Xmas so I can start a job in the beginning of the new academic year at the end of Jan beg Feb. We have never been to NZ but have a cousin who lives in Ashburton, hence the request for work in the Canty area. Do you have kids? We have 3 boys - LOL! mad house here.