Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello from Edinburgh!

Hello from Edinburgh!

Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from Edinburgh!

Well, actually, i'm travelling 1st class on a train to Aberdeen for a few days, free wifi, how cool!!

Anyway, its freezing here, I landed on Monday and the jetlag is still rubbish, its hard to adjust your body clock when there is little daylight to adjust it to! I went from 25 degrees in Welly on Saturday to 0 degrees here on Christmas Day....great!!

Coming back here for a holiday after 3 months in NZ is confusing me, I actually feel I don't want to be here and even though I'm seeing friends and family, I miss NZ, is this normal???

Anyway, home on the 8th Jan, sunshine, can't wait, hope you all had a good Christmas and all the best for 2008
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Edinburgh!

I'm sure in your position all reactions are normal.
Based on my own experience of being expatriated (I don't just mean to NZ) you probably feel a bit like a 'fish out of water' because you have returned to UK before you feel properly settled in your new destination (Wellington).....it feels strange because you no longer belong properly anywhere at the moment.......this may not apply in your case but I find if your UK property is sold or rented out, that no longer feels like home....I find it is the lack of the 'space you can truly call your own' which causes the weird feelings....the solution...is obvious...it just takes time......I'm pleased for you though that the thought of an NZ summer now seems appealing...I haven't done the jetlag in that direction yet but it doesn't sound too good from your description...makes me want to put it off even longer!
Make the most of the time with friends and rellies though... you obviously wanted to see them or you wouldn't have gone back so soon.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I'm sure in your position all reactions are normal.
Based on my own experience of being expatriated (I don't just mean to NZ) you probably feel a bit like a 'fish out of water' because you have returned to UK before you feel properly settled in your new destination (Wellington).....it feels strange because you no longer belong properly anywhere at the moment.......this may not apply in your case but I find if your UK property is sold or rented out, that no longer feels like home....I find it is the lack of the 'space you can truly call your own' which causes the weird feelings....the solution...is obvious...it just takes time......I'm pleased for you though that the thought of an NZ summer now seems appealing...I haven't done the jetlag in that direction yet but it doesn't sound too good from your description...makes me want to put it off even longer!
Make the most of the time with friends and rellies though... you obviously wanted to see them or you wouldn't have gone back so soon.
Thank you for that, yeah, mostly makes sense! It doesn't helping getting texts and e-mails from all my new buddies in NZ telling me whats happening over there!!!

I did Welly-Sydney-Bankock-London-Edinburgh in one go, I will never do that again without a few days stopover in Asia somewhere, alas I do the reverse trip on the way back the same way, great!

I do feel a bit like a fish out of water, its a weird feeling, that coupled with a touch of jetlag is not good, and think there is a cold coming on as my nose started to run, great!!

On the plus side, it makes me feel my choice of NZ and Wellington has been a good one as I'm missing my life there after only 3 months of being there
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

hey mate glad you are back online again and saying hello!

u think it's just all the hoopla and wanting everything to be great and then it's all over?..

Nah! you will love holiday and enjoy spending time with family and friends in beautiful (snow drift) Edinburgh. Trust me, you won't regret! There's no place like home. Frankly I've been missing the place since back home (Welly) last year

A Savage WIND here over the last several days mate. The wind has been pushing me...

btw I am absolutely "shocked" (just now) OMG OMG the mouse ate my Raspberry Licorice in the cutlery draw. ... It's a damn MESS!

hope you enjoy yourself while you can

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 27th 2007 at 11:51 am.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:20 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya mate. Enjoy your time with your friends and family, but don't try to let on too much that you hanker for the place you now consider home, ie. Welly. There were some telling clues in your post about how settled you already feel in Wellington, which can only be good. It'll still be here when you leave Scotland, have a blast and hopefully meet you sometime in the new year.