British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello from Dunners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-dunners-598561/)

vetnurse1 Mar 19th 2009 8:19 am

Hello from Dunners

Hi all

Am enjoying reading the posts here on the trials and tribulations of emigration and starting life in a new country! Brings back memories.
We've been here in NZ for 4 years, spent two in West Auckland (west-side!!!) (never got the black jeans and mullet though) and are now in sunny Dunedin (ok, not always sunny but we do get sun down here you know). I worked as a vet nurse in Auckland and now teach vet nursing in Otago, husband has a franchise business.
We moved from Leicestershire in 2005. Have 2 kids (a 19 year old son who has left home now, living in Invercargill (couldn't do that in the UK cos he couldnt afford to)) and my daughter is 10.
Moved onto a lifestyle block in West Otago for a couple of years but decided that they should be called 'no lifestyle' blocks cos we seemed to be forever weeding, fencing, worrying about feed for the animals etc etc you get the picture....
Now living in coastal Otago and loving it here. Be great to hear from any other members in Dunners.

weejie Mar 19th 2009 10:13 am

Re: Hello from Dunners

Welcome to BE forum. Will be arriving in Dunners 4th July and looking forward to it. I am a psychiatric nurse who will be working at Dunedin Hospital,OH is a H&S officer but will look for a job once we get there,2 boys age 9 and 6.

Phyl x

southerner Mar 19th 2009 8:27 pm

Hi from me too.

We've been out here 5 or so years now, although I am originally a born and bred southerner who married an English lass, and the rest is history. Glad to see you are enjoying Dunedin life.

SLH Mar 20th 2009 2:40 am

Hi from me too

Been in Dunedin almost 6 years, me, OH and 12 year old daughter. Have done lots around and about the South Island. :thumbsup:

vetnurse1 Mar 20th 2009 6:23 am

Hi guys -thanks for your welcomes - do you ever have any meet ups in Dunedin? Be good to meet some fellow immigrants :)

englishheaven Mar 31st 2009 2:11 am

Hi all
This is my first post on BE forum. We have been in Dunedin for a few years now, and although we enjoy it have found it rather hard to meet new people. This is possibly down to my dislike of many of the things that kiwis seem to adore like rugby, speights beer, fishing and hunting. The kiwis i do get along with seem to be the ones who have lived in UK for a while and so know about/like the things i do such as British tv (hurray for UKTV) music and comedy. It is just easier to get on with people who share a common background and culture. I know that this is one of the things people in the UK (me included) moan about with regards to immigrants to UK but now i can understand how they feel.
Anyway, Dunedin is a very nice place, the weather is not as bad as people on the North Island would have you believe, housing is affordable and being a university city it has most of the things that make cities attractive without the crowds and traffic that make them unattractive. Best wishes with the move.

BEVS Mar 31st 2009 5:16 am

Originally Posted by vetnurse1 (Post 7400136)
Hi guys -thanks for your welcomes - do you ever have any meet ups in Dunedin? Be good to meet some fellow immigrants :)

Best bet would be to stick up a thread in the meet-ups section here & see what response there is.;)