Reload this Page >

Hello from a, "do we don't we?" girl

Hello from a, "do we don't we?" girl

Old May 2nd 2013, 9:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hello from a, "do we don't we?" girl

Good one Escapedtonz.

One can send a private message or a BE email by clicking on the persons username and then selecting the option from a drop down menu.

Link to the official NZ Immigration points indicator.
Also - Please read HERE for a breakdown of the points table.

Points for your husbands degree
Points for his age
Points for the occupation being in absolute shortage
Points for work experience
Max points if Hazlenut herself has a qualification = 20 .

poss points if there is close family already in NZ. 10

Escapedtonz - As an engineer you might think to start a thread/topic about this Washington Accord malarky for others looking in. This subject does crop up so to have something that points people in the right direction would be most helpful.

Last edited by BEVS; May 2nd 2013 at 9:25 pm.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I've been lurking for a few months and finally plucked up the courage to join. I put a post in the introductions section and had some welcoming comments that all encouraged me to post so here I am.

Brief summary of where we are right now is that husband and I are 46 and 50yrs old this year and live in the north of England in a rambling old farmhouse with three hectares and horses. We're both in professional jobs, his is in high demand but my career prospects are a bit like a desert with tumble weed blowing across it. I've made some contacts with people who do the same job as me though and started networking. Given our ages we need to move soon or not at all.

Our parents are all incredibly supportive of us moving and are helping pay for us to come out for three weeks in January 2014 so we can see the place and make a more informed decision. We don't and won't ever have our own children.

I already know wages will be lower and living costs will be higher. Housing seems to be particularly scary.

We're open to moving anywhere in NZ but I want to be somewhere warmer. It's becoming harder and harder to do what we want to do here which is ride and drive the horses, grow our own veggies, have a few chooks and work on our own property while having a social life with friends who don't think the only way to have a good time is to get so falling down drunk that they don't remember anything of the night before.

The insane thing is that we're considering taking the horses with us.

So, we're dithering and probably won't make any decisions until after we've done our visit and chatted to a few potential employers and driven round the two islands.

Husband is an engineer at a high level but can also do basic house wiring and has the right certificates for most things electronic so we're hopeful he'd always be able to gain employment of some kind. If teaching had stayed on the list I'd have done a one year PG diploma as I've been teaching for long enough to gain a qualification by evidence but it's not worth doing now.

We'd both fall into the skilled migrant category and I think we have 150 points even without a job offer. If husband has a job offer we'd have nearly 200 points.

I have quite a portfolio of things I can do and I'm looking at doing some additional training in the hope that I can earn as a self employed, general dogsbody person if salaried employment doesn't turn up quickly. Not sure whether I'd be allowed to or not though. I'm qualified to do horse care and riding coaching and have a degree which covers learning theory and behaviour which gives me an additional skill set for doing that. I'm also fully checked and trained to work with children and ran quite a successful child minding service a few years ago. The thought is that lots of little things in different areas mean I might be able to earn some money doing little bits of everything. The other thing we've looked at doing here is running a bed and breakfast business and we've said that's something we could do over there but I don't know if the recession has hit the tourist trade over there as badly as it has here. At the moment the B&B business in our area is pretty dead.

Not knowing the way things are set up over there I have no idea if I'd earn money doing any of these things. In the south of England it's relatively easy to find work as a child minder and horse person. It's harder to do the further north you go as people have family or friends who look after their horses and children for nothing. I'm guessing NZ may be more similar to north of England than south?

It's going to be a long road and I'm not sure where our final destination will be but we're having fun finding out. The bottom line is we both feel stale where we are and would like a big adventure before we grow too old.
Hi there! I am a kiwi who has lived in Uk 10 years and are now back home in Nz. I really don't want to be negative but I would think really carefully as Nz in the last 5-7 years has become one of the most expensive countries in the world for living costs. I could not believe the price of food when I first came back. I find the weather to be very similar to the Uk - sub zero temps in south island in winter - although Auckland and tip of north island are quite warm all year around - but very windy and I've developed lots of skin allergies and hayfever since living in Auckland as I like walking and its been so uncomfortable due to the harsh wind and weather You would not like Auckland as a choice anyway I don't think as it is a supercity. - losts of skyrises and traffic. You have to think would it be better than what your current situation is. House prices here more expensive than equivalent properties in the uk so do your research by looking at real estate websites etc. I miss the Uk so much - I'm not a brit but I feel like one. Medical is more expensive as you pay for the doctor and medications here - not at all like the NHS.EG I went to get an earplug removed from my ear that had become stuck and as it was after hours I had to pay a $70 fee. Dentists etc very expensive. It does not resemble the Uk in many ways at all now, so you may find it culturally very different.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; May 2nd 2013 at 10:02 pm.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:15 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Hi there! I am a kiwi who has lived in Uk 10 years and are now back home in Nz. I really don't want to be negative but I would think really carefully as Nz in the last 5-7 years has become one of the most expensive countries in the world for living costs. I could not believe the price of food when I first came back. I find the weather to be very similar to the Uk - sub zero temps in south island in winter - although Auckland and tip of north island are quite warm all year around - but very windy and I've developed lots of skin allergies and hayfever since living in Auckland as I like walking and its been so uncomfortable due to the harsh wind and weather You would not like Auckland as a choice anyway I don't think as it is a supercity. - losts of skyrises and traffic. You have to think would it be better than what your current situation is. House prices here more expensive than equivalent properties in the uk so do your research by looking at real estate websites etc. I miss the Uk so much - I'm not a brit but I feel like one. Medical is more expensive as you pay for the doctor and medications here - not at all like the NHS.EG I went to get an earplug removed from my ear that had become stuck and as it was after hours I had to pay a $70 fee. Dentists etc very expensive. It does not resemble the Uk in many ways at all now, so you may find it culturally very different.
How can the weather be similar to the UK, yet complain about the "harsh" weather in Auckland?

As someone, who has actually lived in Auckland and now currently living in the "Sub Zero" South Island. I can say that the weather in either location is very different to the UK. Auckland is wetter, warmer and at times muggy. Rain in general comes in short sharp bursts, so most days you get a good mix of sun and cloud.

In the South Island (East Coast) its drier, warmer Summers, lots of Sun. Cold night time temperatures in the Winter.

It's a misconception that NZ is "like" the UK. It's not. NZ is its own country, with its own culture. It is not a timewarped 1950's stride through the rural English countryside.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catchafire
How can the weather be similar to the UK, yet complain about the "harsh" weather in Auckland?

As someone, who has actually lived in Auckland and now currently living in the "Sub Zero" South Island. I can say that the weather in either location is very different to the UK. Auckland is wetter, warmer and at times muggy. Rain in general comes in short sharp bursts, so most days you get a good mix of sun and cloud.

In the South Island (East Coast) its drier, warmer Summers, lots of Sun. Cold night time temperatures in the Winter.

It's a misconception that NZ is "like" the UK. It's not. NZ is its own country, with its own culture. It is not a timewarped 1950's stride through the rural English countryside.
Yes you are right. I have definitely found the weather in Nz to be harsher and more unpleasant in Nz than the uk.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:48 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I find the weather to be very similar to the Uk - sub zero temps in south island in winter - although Auckland and tip of north island are quite warm all year around - but very windy and I've developed lots of skin allergies and hayfever since living in Auckland as I like walking and its been so uncomfortable due to the harsh wind and weather
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:21 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The Summer weather in the part of nz I live in is not greatly different from Britain. Yes really (please don't be boring and start quoting sunshine hours). The sun is much stronger though, much higher sunburn risk, it's no surprise that NZ has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the developed world. The winters in this part of NZ are not as cold. Rare to see frost, let alone snow. However, it's still single figure centigrade 'positive values' for the air temperature in the winter here. So I have that need to eat winter warming food, have the heating on and snuggle up.

Oh look, this thread quickly degenerated into a weather thread and I've contributed to that.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 2nd 2013 at 11:24 pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:11 am
`

Yes you are right. I have definitely found the weather in Nz to be harsher and more unpleasant in Nz than the uk.
As a returning Kiwi you knew about the micro-climates of NZ before you returned. From here and from your rellies & pals in NZ you would have known about the COL etc.
So - should be no surprises there then for you.
Can't think why you have taken it upon yourself to rain down misery on other posters and their posts. You've even taken the time to have a pop in the Welcome Inn of all places.
Having an opinion is fine. Having a good old groan about something bugging you is fine. To look for a bit of support if you are suffering from reverse culture shock is fine too. It's allowed but to carry on as you have been doing of late on the wee NZ forum is not OK in my book.

Please desist with the wholesale damning of an entire country . Stop with the widely inaccurate, scaremongering sweeping statements and info. It's immensely unfair to other posters thinking to migrate.
The old news that the COL is not cheap and that property & dentistry can be expensive is out there already. !

On a final note - you cannot know at all what someone else whom you do not know and have not met would or would not like. Nor what they can and cannot afford. Nor what that person may see as 'better'.
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Moving swiftly on from the weather debate... All I'll say is that where I currently live we need a Land Rover to be able to reach work through the snow on an average of 14-20 days per year. We regularly have spells of a month of more in winter where the temperature doesn't come above -5 and I currently have my seedlings in a greenhouse, under bubble wrap AND fleece as we're still experiencing a ground frost 1 night in 3. I don't think the summer temperatures are much different but, by jings, the winter weather seems to be much milder! My impression from reading threads on here is that most people think of southern England when discussing NZ vs UK weather, they forget how harsh winters in the north of England and Scotland can be. We only have three months of the year without ground frosts being a real possibility and we vary between 1200mm to 2000mm of rain per year.

If I'm understanding things right, which may not be the case , if a career or qualification is listed on the current Long term Skills Shortage List like this one and you can prove you're currently working in that career it classes as a 'Yes' for absolute skills shortage points? I've redone the calculation today and it comes to 160 points if I add in me as partner (I have a level 8 qualification and underlying 3,4,5 or 6 qualifications and my English is good) and all my qualifications were started (and finished) pre July 2011. He gains points for having both level 3,4,5,6 qualifications and a level 7 qualification, being an area of long term skills shortage, started (and finished) his qualifications before July 2011, has more than 10years relevant work experience with more than 6 years being in an area of skills shortage in a comparable labour market. Age goes against us a little. Even if I've misunderstood the 'start course before July 2011' thing as only applying to people who are actively studying now we still have 140 points.

Husband communicates much better by e-mail or Skype, I'll mess about on open forums but I am careful what I say. Thank-you for the really kind offer of chatting by email escapedtonz, I'll drop you a pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:42 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

My impression from reading threads on here is that most people think of southern England when discussing NZ vs UK weather, they forget how harsh winters in the north of England and Scotland can be.
Agree
Old May 4th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's kind. Perhaps you could share about 233311 Electrical Engineer here please for the benefit of anyone else looking in . The business of the Washington Accord etc does appear here from time to time. Would be good to have a first hand account.

Per NZIS ref 233311 Electrial Engineering which is on shortage here in NZ.

For all else electrical , assessment, registration & licensing with the EWRB is a requirement.
Hi,
Sorry been a tad busy over the last few days to reply.....

So yes in my case I claimed I had the qualifications, 14 years experience and a then current UK job that met one of the roles on the Absolute or Long Term Skilled Shortage Lists - namely 233311 Electrial Engineering.
I had been in the electricity industry 25 years from leaving school - started at the bottom as an apprentice cable jointer and worked up to Senior Transmission Control Engineer and along the way had to pass the necessary City & Guilds courses and the BTEC ONC, HNC, HND in Electrical & Electronic Engineering courses. Stopped short of doing a degree. I wanted to. Would have only taken another year at college but unfortunately the timing wasnt good with company changes & my then boss needing me in work Mon-Fri with no time for study.
Anyway I sent all the above academic proof in to Immigration and they agreed I held the necessary equivalent level of study as stated :-

Quote " A Washington Accord accredited engineering degree OR
Either a qualification comparable to a:
Bachelor of Engineering, or Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours), or Master of Engineering degree OR
A qualification at Level 7 or higher with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meets the academic requirements for registration as a ‘Chartered Professional Engineer’ in New Zealand OR
NZ registration as a ‘Chartered Professional Engineer "

I didn't need any NZQA assessment or letter from IPENZ, therefore can only assume my qualifications met the comparison of an NZ Bachelor of Engineering, or Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours), or Master of Engineering degree.
This upheld my claim for the extra points off the LTSSL

When I actually secured the Residency visa I then started looking for work and it didn't take long to find a suitable role.
After 6 weeks I just missed out on a Network Electricity Control Engineer role with Powerco New Plymouth but within another couple of months I had two job offers and contracts on the table. Just had to pick one.
Generation Controller with Meridian based in Wellington or a Power System Coordinator for the National Grid based in Wellington.
Both around the same salary, but the National Grid job swung it for me due to the better employee benefits and job prospects/career progression.

My UK qualifications were received very well even though I was worried I may have needed a degree. Luckily that wasn't the case.

None of the employers mentioned EWRB registration. I only found out about this by accident.
I contacted the EWRB help desk by email who were great but they couldn't really answer my questions whether I needed registration to work as an electrical engineer in NZ or not.
I even asked my Immigration Consultant but even they couldn't find out for certain, therefore in the end I rang the EWRB and spoke directly with a member of the committee, explained my life story, experience and current role and it was decided that I didn't need EWRB registration due to the specialist nature of my role.
After these discussions with the EWRB I concluded that any Electrical Engineer wishing to work in NZ who has a job that takes them into the public arena, is remotely hands on or gives you responsibilities that could give rise to personal liability then you will need EWRB registration.
If you just sit at a desk and do everything by computers like me and only work in the real time time-frame than you should be ok and not need it to work.
Whatever happens a potential employer should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Hope that helps answer some questions for forum members.

Regards,
Old May 4th 2013, 10:05 pm
`

Being the saddo that I am , I found that really interesting. It's a quality post and worthy of being a helpful 'post of the year'.

Have your first plonking of BE karma for being so helpful .
Old May 4th 2013, 10:52 pm

The fact that your husband is an electrician is complete coincidence !
Old May 7th 2013, 6:11 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm understanding things right, which may not be the case , if a career or qualification is listed on the current Long term Skills Shortage List like this one and you can prove you're currently working in that career it classes as a 'Yes' for absolute skills shortage points? I've redone the calculation today and it comes to 160 points if I add in me as partner (I have a level 8 qualification and underlying 3,4,5 or 6 qualifications and my English is good) and all my qualifications were started (and finished) pre July 2011. He gains points for having both level 3,4,5,6 qualifications and a level 7 qualification, being an area of long term skills shortage, started (and finished) his qualifications before July 2011, has more than 10years relevant work experience with more than 6 years being in an area of skills shortage in a comparable labour market. Age goes against us a little. Even if I've misunderstood the 'start course before July 2011' thing as only applying to people who are actively studying now we still have 140 points.
Welcome!
Just a question given the above details on your points.
Your total does seem a bit on the high side looking at the information you've given us in this thread. I only came to 135 at most when I did a little calculation so I wonder if you're adding something up incorrectly somewhere.
If you don't mind telling us, how have you got to that points total?
Old May 9th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Welcome!
If you don't mind telling us, how have you got to that points total?
I don't mind at all and welcome any help as it seems very high to me too so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong

On the points indicator site I ticked the yes box for the following things with husband as main applicant and me as 'skilled spouse'. I've put questions I have in green font afterwards.

Husband

Work is in an area of absolute skills shortage

Recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8)
Recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6)
Are you only supposed to click one of these?

Began your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011 Is this only if you're studying now? We both finished our level 3-6 qualifications over 25yrs ago.

Qualification is in an area of absolute skills shortage
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) is more than 10
Number of years work experience in area of absolute skills shortage is more than 6
Work experience WAS gained in a comparable labour market
Age is in 50-55 bracket

Partner (me)
Yes he has one
I have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant
I have a recognised qualification (level 7, 8, 9 or 10)
I have a recognised qualification (level 3, 4, 5 or 6)
I began study for my level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011

That seems to give a score of 145 when I do it this morning. If I tick yes that husband has a job offer that jumps to 205. We wouldn't move if he didn't have a job already lined up to go to.
Old May 9th 2013, 10:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

highest I could get, with ticking Recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8)
Recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6)
Are you only supposed to click one of these? ,

was 120, and only 60 without ticking that.

so I must of missed something ?

Persephone and Bevs are very good with the points indicator so hopefully they can have a go and see what they get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.