British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello Christchurch! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-christchurch-369299/)

Rich & Mitz Apr 23rd 2006 11:50 am

Hello Christchurch!

Hi all!

We have been reading all the forum items over the last few months.

We know everything from lack of decent sausages to where we can get a decent pint! (ie, all the important things!)

We are due in Christchurch in early June with our two young girls. We have successfully completed our medicals and I have a job with an accreditated employer, so the visa process (work to resident or 'talent' visa) should be streamlined.........allegedly!

Anyway, as I have sold the house and quit my job, I will be up s**t street if they say no! Oh well, life is about taking gambles I guess, 'he who dares wins' as Del Boy says!

Is they a meeting place for expats in Christchurch, ie, do you guys get together to share experiences, help overcome issues or generally have a few drinks etc?

Failing that, would anyone be interested in getting together to build a social circle and all that and make the transition easier?

We hope so and look forward to seeing you all soon!

Rich, Mitzi, Dani(10) and Ashleigh(9) xxxx :)

Andrew Cross Apr 23rd 2006 12:09 pm

Re: Hello Christchurch!

Hi Guys,

Hope the next couple of months go smooth for you and you all get to Christchurch ok.
There are a few expat families in Chch, but to my knowledge there have been no meet ups (unless i wasn't invited!), but there is always a first.
When you are settled let us know and I'm sure you will get a few people out for a get together and a few :beer:

Best of luck !

Joshlin Apr 24th 2006 6:32 am

we'd be up for a chch get together - we've been here 6 months and having a ball. As Sue says there are quite a few expats and more arriving all the time so sure we could get something sorted - would need to be a weekend, somewhere family friendly (we've got Josh age 4 and Caitlin age 2)
Good luck with your move and catch up soon.
Vicki

Stevemw Apr 24th 2006 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Rich & Mitz
Hi all!

...We are due in Christchurch in early June with our two young girls....

We are heading for CHC too, though slightly ahead of you - we arrive on 23 May. Appalling timing - straight from the UK spring to the NZ autumn, without ever passing through summer!

See you there,
Steve

SarahB Apr 24th 2006 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Stevemw
We are heading for CHC too, though slightly ahead of you - we arrive on 23 May. Appalling timing - straight from the UK spring to the NZ autumn, without ever passing through summer!

See you there,
Steve

We arived here early June last year. Dunno about chch but Auckland winter wasnt exactly like UK one.... it lasted about 2 months and lowest daytime temp we had was 13 degrees. It rains a lot (seems to rain for weeks on end sometimes!!) but still warm days and beautiful blue sky. Have seen more blue sky since moving here than Ive seen my whole life in the UK. :D I was enchanted by all the laden citrus fruit trees.... and amazed that the grass has to be cut all year round!!

Andrew Cross Apr 24th 2006 10:59 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
We arived here early June last year. Dunno about chch but Auckland winter wasnt exactly like UK one.... it lasted about 2 months and lowest daytime temp we had was 13 degrees. It rains a lot (seems to rain for weeks on end sometimes!!) but still warm days and beautiful blue sky. Have seen more blue sky since moving here than Ive seen my whole life in the UK. :D I was enchanted by all the laden citrus fruit trees.... and amazed that the grass has to be cut all year round!!

Hi Sarah, love your new avatar by the way...

SarahB Apr 24th 2006 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Hi Sarah, love your new avatar by the way...

Thanks.... thats Zack, failed trotter who was destined for Jimbos Petfood Factory. He was a scraggy little horse when I got him but now hes filling out on the good grass and hes great to ride.... he loves cantering along the beach and bombs up all the hills.... hes lovely.

Rich & Mitz Apr 24th 2006 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we'd be up for a chch get together - we've been here 6 months and having a ball. As Sue says there are quite a few expats and more arriving all the time so sure we could get something sorted - would need to be a weekend, somewhere family friendly (we've got Josh age 4 and Caitlin age 2)
Good luck with your move and catch up soon.
Vicki

Hi Vicki

Thats great! Look forward to meeting you all. Glad you are having a ball, was it difficult to adapt or did everything come together with ease?

We've got two girls (9 and 10) so we would need something family orientated. We will sort it out when we get settled and get some more of these expat pommies out as well!

Keep in touch and look forward to seeing you soon,

Rich :)

Rich & Mitz Apr 24th 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Stevemw

See you there,
Steve

Hi Steve

Timing is not the best! we will have to wait until Christmas to see the sun (that sounds strange?!?)

Hope the move goes well and keep in touch. Once settled we will sort out a get-together.

Happy travelling!

Rich and family

Joshlin Apr 26th 2006 5:58 am

Hi Vicki

Thats great! Look forward to meeting you all. Glad you are having a ball, was it difficult to adapt or did everything come together with ease?

We've got two girls (9 and 10) so we would need something family orientated. We will sort it out when we get settled and get some more of these expat pommies out as well!

Keep in touch and look forward to seeing you soon,

Rich :)

Hey Rich
We are surprised at how easily we've adapted - we got a lot of info from this site before the move so felt well prepared and then have just approached everything with an open mind and a positive attitude.
Good luck with your move
Vicki

tam21 Jul 10th 2006 3:44 am

Hi all!

We have been reading all the forum items over the last few months.

We know everything from lack of decent sausages to where we can get a decent pint! (ie, all the important things!)

We are due in Christchurch in early June with our two young girls. We have successfully completed our medicals and I have a job with an accreditated employer, so the visa process (work to resident or 'talent' visa) should be streamlined.........allegedly!

Anyway, as I have sold the house and quit my job, I will be up s**t street if they say no! Oh well, life is about taking gambles I guess, 'he who dares wins' as Del Boy says!

Is they a meeting place for expats in Christchurch, ie, do you guys get together to share experiences, help overcome issues or generally have a few drinks etc?

Failing that, would anyone be interested in getting together to build a social circle and all that and make the transition easier?

We hope so and look forward to seeing you all soon!

Hi hope you made it over ok, let us know if you have any queries that we can help with. My OH is a local kiwi so has his uses. :)