British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello - Can we arrive for 6 months on holiday and apply for jobs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-can-we-arrive-6-months-holiday-apply-jobs-803946/)

stumilburn Jul 24th 2013 11:12 pm

Hello - Can we arrive for 6 months on holiday and apply for jobs?

Hi there, I m a primary teacher wanting to emigrate to NZ with a young family. After visiting last August and staying with a friend it simply made my mind up. I have had my qualifications checked and have registered with the teaching council. I know teaching jobs are hard to obtain from non residents. I want to sell our house and just go for it! Can we arrive for 6 months on holiday and apply for jobs in that time? I know it is a risk but I m willing to take it. A supply agency has already rang me and enquired about my situation. Any advice please? I m 37, virtually filled in an online EOI but points seem to be only 125 when predicted 145. My mate reckons we can stay at his house also for a few months... I m sick of waiting. Cheers.

Jerseygirl Jul 24th 2013 11:18 pm

Re: Hello

Originally Posted by stumilburn (Post 10817687)
Hi there, I m a primary teacher wanting to emigrate to NZ with a young family. After visiting last August and staying with a friend it simply made my mind up. I have had my qualifications checked and have registered with the teaching council. I know teaching jobs are hard to obtain from non residents. I want to sell our house and just go for it! Can we arrive for 6 months on holiday and apply for jobs in that time? I know it is a risk but I m willing to take it. A supply agency has already rang me and enquired about my situation. Any advice please? I m 37, virtually filled in an online EOI but points seem to be only 125 when predicted 145. My mate reckons we can stay at his house also for a few months... I m sick of waiting. Cheers.

Hi...welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our New Zealand forum...someone will probably be along soon to help you.

Good luck and once again...welcome. :)

MrsFychan Jul 24th 2013 11:54 pm

it's risky coming over on holiday visa and looking for work, plus you can't ship your household goods unless you have a valid visa so I would certainly say don't look at selling the house now just in case you are not successful. Teaching jobs are hard to come by for people already here but I suppose it does depend on the area and what level you are at, plus you have the problem with the NOVAPAY problems which has had a knock on effect for everyone.

My personal thoughts would be to apply for jobs from UK, upgrade the EOI if you get an offer and if they need you in the mean time take out a temp work visa until the EOI/ITA goes through

davros1984 Jul 24th 2013 11:59 pm

I know teaching here is difficult (its something I've looked at when considering a career change). Not so long ago the government laid off a series of teachers (as part of a plan to increase classroom size numbers) so there's people out of work who are looking for work and as a result of the changes there are less teaching posts.

stumilburn Jul 25th 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for the advice and insight MrsFychan and Davros. Maybe I put the EOI first and wait the 6 months. I applied for about 40 jobs last year and got 1 offer in manurewa, but my partner was not willing to quickly sell up and move then. Shame that might come back to haunt me! I m confused with visas. I basically take it you cant get one unless you have a job offer? I m 37 so no working holiday. Could I get a temporary visa working for a supply agency and what is NOVAPAY?
May I ask about your emigration experiences. How long did it take? And what are you enjoying the most?
Thanks and best wishes.

MrsFychan Jul 25th 2013 10:14 am

NOVAPAY are the people that pay the teachers, or this year NOT pay the teachers.

I'm not sure about the visa situation for you now that teaching has been removed from the skilled list. You could get a job offer from a company but to be able to get a visa to allow you to take up that job it would have to be through an accredited company or they have to show that no one already resident in NZ can do the job they are offering you.

What does your partner do?

As for costs depends on what visa, how many people, what you ship and lots of other factors but for a family of 4 I estimate that we spent in the region of £12000 just to get here and then the initial start up costs of settling in and keeping the kids happy.

Persephone Jul 25th 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by stumilburn (Post 10818343)
Thanks for the advice and insight MrsFychan and Davros. Maybe I put the EOI first and wait the 6 months. I applied for about 40 jobs last year and got 1 offer in manurewa, but my partner was not willing to quickly sell up and move then. Shame that might come back to haunt me! I m confused with visas. I basically take it you cant get one unless you have a job offer? I m 37 so no working holiday. Could I get a temporary visa working for a supply agency and what is NOVAPAY?
May I ask about your emigration experiences. How long did it take? And what are you enjoying the most?
Thanks and best wishes.

Welcome to BE!
I can't help at all about the teaching side of things but can give a bit of help with the visas.
Basically your only options are a Work Visa, a Work to Residence Visa [WTR] or the Skilled Migrant Category [via the EOI]

As teaching is not on any of the skills shortage lists then it will be harder to get a Work Visa as it means the employer must prove no NZers can do the job. This visa requires a job offer before you can apply, it is also temporary only.

WTR: Job offer first. The only way for you to get this visa is via an accredited employer. You would have to earn at least $55,000 pa. Not sure how many schools would be accredited but you could ask:unsure:

SMC: This is an application for residency. It does not require a job offer to apply but in many cases people need a job offer to either get enough points or to have a good chance of success. I'm not sure what you mean by predicted 145pts but have 125, do you mean the Points Indicator? If you have 125 pts and no job offer then there's probably little point in submitting the EOI-it is not likely to be selected. If you have 145 then it will be selected at the next draw. Those EOIs with 140 or over or those with 100-140 that include points for a job offer are generally selected every fortnight.
So with 125 points you will need a job offer to be selected. There's probably little point submitting your EOI until you have one. Submit it and worst case scenario is that you do not get a job offer and you waste the cost of the EOI. If you wait until you have a job offer then you'll be selected automatically at the next draw anyway. Depends on how much risk you want to take! The employer does not have to prove no NZers are available if applying under this category.

P:)

rossojo Jul 25th 2013 9:20 pm

Re: Hello - Can we arrive for 6 months on holiday and apply for jobs?

Mackenzie College Fairlie is looking for teachers of Yr7/8 (English, Maths, Social Studies) which is classed as Primary here. Start date January, which would give time for residency visas and the Principal and many of the staff are English.

School house available too :)

http://www.edgazette.govt.nz/Vacanci...cancyId=601584

stumilburn Jul 25th 2013 10:41 pm

Thankyou Persephone and Rossojo,
I think I ll persevere with job applications then. The majority of teaching posts come up between August and December for the beginning of term 1. Maybe if I check my EOI and complete the predicted 145 may be there. Some options anyway. My partner is a college lecturer (Sport) and is qualified to deliver personal training and do sports massage so I ll have to get her to apply for jobs too... but I know these aren't on any shortage list also. (She doesn't have a masters for higher education- I see lecturing is on one of the lists.)
I ll check out that school then Rossojo, thanks. Did you guys get jobs from a far or did you visit then get a job? The gung ho streak in me wants to just sell up and go on an adventure. (We need to move house anyway.) I have a really good friend in Auckland who says we can stay with him in Massey for months if we wish. He has a 4 bedroomed place... the benefit of no kids.

Best wishes.

rossojo Jul 25th 2013 10:48 pm

We did the same, sold up and decided to wing it, can't say it's been a bed of roses, but things are dropping in to place slowly.
You will find that rural schools struggle to find staff and the job often comes with a house which is a bonus. The primary school in Fairlie is also advertising I notice.
Good luck on your quest stumilburn

stumilburn Jul 25th 2013 11:00 pm

You are giving me the encouragement I need! Fortune favours the brave- one of my favourite sayings. I might just follow your lead. I was in Auckland last winter and loved it. Stayed with my mate in his one bed apartment before he moved in with his richer girlfriend. So being near him would be ideal for friendship, support etc but as you say going rural to settle might have to be done first. Good luck to you too.

Wiz'n'Ton Jul 26th 2013 3:46 am

I say 'go for it'! You'll find it much easier to find work when you are here, and are doorstepping schools etc.

It does depend on how much risk you like to take on, but for me it would be the way to go. 'He who dares....' and all that ;)

pixiewink Jul 26th 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by stumilburn (Post 10817687)

This is exactly what we did.....easier to find employment & employers take you seriously....Good Luck:thumbsup:

stumilburn Jul 28th 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. We ll sell the house and see. Hopefully last Christmas over here. I ve got to give it a go and follow through. Interesting reading some doubters in the forum. All you can do is give things a go. But I suppose everyone doubts what they do from time to time. I m not materialistic so I know I ll be ok in NZ... and I love nature.