Reload this Page >

Hello to all just starting out

Hello to all just starting out

Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Evilbert will become famous soon enoughEvilbert will become famous soon enough
Default Hello to all just starting out

Hi to all

Just come across this site a couple of days ago.

The wife has finally decided that she wants to emigrate for the sake of the kids, with New Zealand in mind. I always has my heart set on Canada, but after reading into the lifestyle, I have to admit I was sold instantly (plus it helps I have an Uncle there to get information out of).

So we have now decided to buckle down for a couple of years, pay off our debts and hopefully get some money behind us to make the big move.

At the moment my biggest question is what could I earn in NZ? I am currently a maintenance engineer, and looking at the job websites there does seem to be many positions available, but they never list the wages!!

Is anyone else working in electrical maintenance, and what sort of money can you get? Would I be better going into house bashing?

Good luck to all in the process of moving and of course all you lucky buggers who have already made it

Bert
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hello to all just starting out

Kia Ora and welcome to this friendly little forum.

Whereabouts in Poole are you? I hale from Bournemouth.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Canford Heath, originally from Southampton, but moved here 5 years ago. Where abouts from Bournemouth were/are you? We don't venture in there too much, Fri/Sat nights its like a riot zone, tend to stick to the quay as its nice and quiet.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Hi Bert

Wages here quite low if you want idea on hourly rate try trademe.co.nz

Welcome aboard

Jan
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Jaybirdjan i'll check it out
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. I can't help with your questions but will move it to the NZ lifestyle forum which is busier so your post will get more views.

Sue
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Ditto to Jan above re wages. Not exactly top of the scale on an international level, let's say. But there again, people don't tend to move to NZ for the super-duper salaries.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

cathdarke1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Evilbert
Hi to all

The wife has finally decided that she wants to emigrate for the sake of the kids, with New Zealand in mind. I always has my heart set on Canada, but after reading into the lifestyle, I have to admit I was sold instantly (plus it helps I have an Uncle there to get information out of).

So we have now decided to buckle down for a couple of years, pay off our debts and hopefully get some money behind us to make the big move.

At the moment my biggest question is what could I earn in NZ? I am currently a maintenance engineer, and looking at the job websites there does seem to be many positions available, but they never list the wages!!

Is anyone else working in electrical maintenance, and what sort of money can you get? Would I be better going into house bashing?

Good luck to all in the process of moving and of course all you lucky buggers who have already made it

Bert
Hi,

I have just made the move to NZ from the UK and i have to say i was a little shocked at the price of things and the wages. Yes, the wages are quite poor and the cost of living food etc is the same as the UK. Cars are a little cheaper and so is fuel. However, on a lighter note - the lifestyle aspects are excellent - so much to do at no cost - I have 2 kids age 10 and 3 and they absolutely love it.

Cath Darke
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

cathdarke1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cathdarke1
Hi,

I have just made the move to NZ from the UK and i have to say i was a little shocked at the price of things and the wages. Yes, the wages are quite poor and the cost of living food etc is the same as the UK. Cars are a little cheaper and so is fuel. However, on a lighter note - the lifestyle aspects are excellent - so much to do at no cost - I have 2 kids age 10 and 3 and they absolutely love it.

Cath Darke
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Canford Heath, originally from Southampton, but moved here 5 years ago. Where abouts from Bournemouth were/are you? We don't venture in there too much, Fri/Sat nights its like a riot zone, tend to stick to the quay as its nice and quiet.
Hi there.
We lived on the Southbourne/Pokesdown border. We are now in a village called Mapua outside of Nelson NZ.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

Hi Bert and all

This is my first post but I thought I would say that I too am a maintenance engineer (electronics industry) and moving to NZ. I am Scottish and currently selling my house in Ireland before heading down to NZ initially as a visitor but looking to get a job offer while there. Hopefully I will be there in December or January.

I've applied for a few jobs through various websites but I have had no luck with replies or telephone interviews. Most employers want to do face to face interviews and to see that you really are keen to move to NZ.

I've seen some of the job advertisements quote wages at anything between $55k-$70k per year. Not good compared to here but I am not moving for the money.

I am hoping to move to the Christchurch area but a lot of the jobs advertised look to be in Auckland.

Anyway best of luck and I hope you have success with your job hunting.

Barry
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:11 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barpolo

I am hoping to move to the Christchurch area but a lot of the jobs advertised look to be in Auckland.

Anyway best of luck and I hope you have success with your job hunting.

Barry
If you are set on migrating to the South Island I would think that you'd have not too many problems finding work here. Remember that Christchurch is the primary city in the South Island and although the city is of only modest size, 350,000, it does have amenities that usually are only in larger cities.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there dude. Income.outcome ratio is a bit tight-but who cares? It still rocks the emigration world of all that is fine,with loads of friendly folk n stuff.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

Hi Happynz
Yeah I really liked Christchurch when I was there and loved the South Island so I think I will land there and keep my fingers crossed that I get a job offer. If after 4 months I don't get a job offer then it is off to Auckland for me. If no success there then it is all the way back to Scotland or Ireland. Can't wait to get there again!

B
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:36 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough

Hi to all

Bert
you may earn a bit less at first but the general cost of living compared to pay is okay if you earn over $45,000 a year. job site to use is SEEK.NZ also give IPENZ a look on the net. My hubby has been workng there for three months and its a pretty big set up.
good luck ;-)

Last edited by sarahlou2411; Sep 5th 2007 at 9:49 pm. Reason: bad choice of words..sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.