Hello!

Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by Assanah
I agree. Auckland has at least double the amount of rain than London.
Spot on.

The wettest month in London, on average, is November with about 70mls of rain.

The DRIEST Auckland months, on average, are December and January with 85mls of rain respectively.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:00 pm
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

Be careful with ece 20 hrs free, lots of nurserys around where I live in auckland charge 'extras' in addition to these hrs. Plus under threes in eastern bays looking at $65-80 per day.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
I beg to differ! Big hills can be seen from my window and I'm 10 mins on the train to Glasgow city centre!
I know, there are exceptions.

But even Glasgow is long way away for most of the population of the UK.

In fact, lovely as it is (the scenery not necessarily the towns), the whole of the M8 corridor is miles away from most of the population of the UK. Even Scotland its self with its 5 and a bit million (??) is remote, in many ways - I think that's my overriding point; there are lovely spots all over the UK for sure, but due to a mixture of physical geography and population density that lead to longer travel times over shorter distances lovely spots are not, generally speaking, as accessible as they are in NZ.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bga
.. good stuff .. I ought to say though (after reading you question again) that we had permanent residence when we arrived, a work visa may be different.. I don't know
Work visa or a work to residence visa does not qualify!

Nor does it qualify for any governmental help.

You can only obtain help once your a New Zealand resident. This was bought in place I believe under the Labour administration of H Clarke (think that's her name) once migration started booming in this country. Also, I believe the Australian government had a say as well, especially with the changes to birth in 2006.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:09 am
Banned

rodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
This is true I looked into yesterday after hearing yet another murder.
Seems NZ is ahead of UK in total crimes victims and 44% higher for rape, and higher for suicide in all ages
NZ was second and UK 3rd

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/...-Kingdom/Crime
According to that statistic, the 3 most crime ridden countries in the world are Australia, New Zealand and the UK. I dont think there would be many that agree with that. The anglo saxon attitude to reporting crime probably has a big part in that stat as it also shows that all3 countries have high confidence in police. If youre in a country with less confidence in police you would probably be less likely to report a crime.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
True enough, there is no doubt there are some vast beautiful areas of the UK - but even though North Somerset isn't all that far from Devon or Cornwall getting down there and back again on that 'Spine Road' or whatever they call it down there is not fun, even less fun with kids.

Also, the parts of Scotland that are beautiful are miles away from anywhere. Whilst most of New Zealand is remote, you don't have to go far even from the Auckland to get some scenery.

Just one quick example; for me there's nothing in any town or city in the UK that compares to popping over to Takapuna beach of an afternoon and looking out to Rangitoto.

Whilst a remote areas of NZ are spectacular in a lot of urban New Zealand you can be amongst beautiful scenery quickly and be home again for tea without the need for making a massive trip of it in terms of cost and time off work.

Most Aucklanders could head out to the Hillary Trail within 45 mins. There are few comparisions in the UK from getting from a town or city to do something like the Hillary Trail. There are many from the towns and cities in New Zealand.

Though, I did once play Rugby with a lad who told me this;

"When I got to New Zealand I was awestruck by the scenery. After a few months, I got bored of turning around another corner and saying - wow".

You have to laugh at that with a sense of agreement!!

PS Sorry to bleat on about Auckland, just using it as an example being the major city. I use that term 'major' loosely.
My daughter and husband live in Auckland close to the Bridge, they bought a beautiful modern house 2 years ago for a price far less than they would have paid in the suberb they lived in the UK. They both walk to work, as compared to 40 mins on the train to London from where she lived in the UK. They can leave home on Saturday morning at 10.00 a.m. and be on Takapuna beach (with free parking) within 15 minutes, not much further and you are in Albany shopping centre, in the UK it would take a 40 minute drive to get to a shopping mall (Lakeside on M25) and the closest beach would be Southend (an hour and half on Saturday in the summer)!!

There is a simple statistic at work here, in the same land mass, there are 6 million people in New Zealand in the UK there are over 60 million (and rising much faster than NZ) - do the math as the yanks say, my husband and I are moving down in the next few months to be a proper grandma and grandpa to our new Kiwi Granddaughter - cannot wait!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:23 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Scotland has a population of 5.3 million and the scenery. Doesn't have the weather though!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

chris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nice

Originally Posted by benandtan
Hi all, I am at the very start of planning our move to New Zealand and know it will be a long road!

I am a Fire-Fighter with 8 years experience and my wife is is a manager at an events company with 7 years experience. Unfortunatley both of these (as far as I can tell) count for nothing when moving to NZ.
I am looking to learn a trade or get into IT but haven't decided which route to go down yet.

My nan was born and raised in NZ and always talked about how amazing it was. My wifes aunt and uncle moved to Christchurch last year and love it, and her parents are hoping to move out there soon as well.

Not sure where to go from here yet! Just need to decided what I want to train in and get learning!

Ben
I take it that you and your wife have never been to NZ for a visit? It is an expense, but I would strongly recommend that you come over for 2-3 weeks minimum and have a good look around - do the main cities on both islands if you can - if you don't and you get here and decide that it's not what you were expecting, you will have wasted an awful lot more money.

We came out for just two weeks as it was all the time I could get off work. What we saw was enough to confirm that this was where we wanted to be. Plenty of people will have done the same and decided against the move.

It's a huge thing to do. Don't do it without really doing your homework - that would be my best advice. This forum can help with information etc., but everyone's opinions are just that...their opinion. Yours may be the exact opposite once you experience the thing yourself.

Ultimately, you've gotta do it to know for definite, but doing your homework including a scouting visit will go a long way to helping you make the right choice.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by benandtan
Hi all, I am at the very start of planning our move to New Zealand and know it will be a long road!

I am a Fire-Fighter with 8 years experience and my wife is is a manager at an events company with 7 years experience. Unfortunatley both of these (as far as I can tell) count for nothing when moving to NZ.
I am looking to learn a trade or get into IT but haven't decided which route to go down yet.

My nan was born and raised in NZ and always talked about how amazing it was. My wifes aunt and uncle moved to Christchurch last year and love it, and her parents are hoping to move out there soon as well.

Not sure where to go from here yet! Just need to decided what I want to train in and get learning!

Ben
If your wife's parents are serious and will be there also, then go for it ,for the well being of your wife and any future children otherwise I'd say stay in the UK. NZ weather isn't that great and the winters without festivities (Christmas) can be long and grey.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rodge
According to that statistic, the 3 most crime ridden countries in the world are Australia, New Zealand and the UK. I dont think there would be many that agree with that. The anglo saxon attitude to reporting crime probably has a big part in that stat as it also shows that all3 countries have high confidence in police. If youre in a country with less confidence in police you would probably be less likely to report a crime.
I've been around a bit and I find NZ to be violent. Its in the culture and the thing is people don't really take it seriously. Go to Stuff.co.nz. Every day there are reports of brutal murders, rapes or violent gang activity. I think that a lot of crime still goes unreported because there is, in the large NZ 'subculture', little respect for police. The problem is that the subculture is not very 'sub'.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:26 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
I've been around a bit and I find NZ to be violent. Its in the culture and the thing is people don't really take it seriously. Go to Stuff.co.nz. Every day there are reports of brutal murders, rapes or violent gang activity. I think that a lot of crime still goes unreported because there is, in the large NZ 'subculture', little respect for police. The problem is that the subculture is not very 'sub'.
So what violence have you personally been subjected to?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
So what violence have you personally been subjected to?
In 2010 I found myself with zero degrees of separation from drug dealing gang members without any effort on my part and I can tell you it did not feel at all comfortable. What bloody details are you looking for?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:35 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
In 2010 I found myself with zero degrees of separation from drug dealing gang members without any effort on my part and I can tell you it did not feel at all comfortable. What bloody details are you looking for?
You made a sweeping statement that New Zealand is violent. I wondered what evidence you had, that was all.

All places are violent if we are unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of it.

I just had a look at the Met Police crime stats for London. Looks terrible but most (thankfully) people are not affected by it.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
You made a sweeping statement that New Zealand is violent. I wondered what evidence you had, that was all.

All places are violent if we are unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of it.

I just had a look at the Met Police crime stats for London. Looks terrible but most (thankfully) people are not affected by it.
In my 7 years living in London I've been a victim of crime once. On my first weekend.

I fell asleep on a night bus with my phone in my hand, when I woke up it was gone.

Quite funny when I look back, having a fell asleep I went beyond my stop and didn't have a clue where I was at 4am in the morning. Obivously I couldn't even use my phone to call someone to get advice!!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

krisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud of

swings in roundabouts I think, from 2003 to 2010 we were never really exposed to any violence in Tauranga, I did see a fight in downtown Tauranga once, my neighbour got burgled one Christmas, and that is about it.
However, back in London, just this past 2 years, living in a nice village near Heathrow, and the neighbours house was a marijuana house once Christmas, literally, a hot house of ganja, there are burglaries all the time in the village, the son in law hears domestic violence monthly from his neighbours, I can go up West Drayton on a Friday night and see a fight.

I know the figures are pretty poor for NZ, but I was never exposed to it in the same way as I am here, nor was my sister in Auckland, but then if you know the places to avoid in NZ you are ok, whereas in the UK, or London anyway, you can't really get away from it because of the population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.