Hello!

Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:29 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by Synky
Don't talk to me about childcare costs!

Question - I saw that 3 year olds get 20 hrs free kindergarten, do you know if you have to be in the country for a set period of time to get this or if you can right away with a work visa. Thanks?

P.s. hello benandtan!
Hi, you get the 20hrs straight away ... we had a 3 year old when we arrived 3 years ago and got the free 20hrs - the other 10 or so hours were $4 an hour so even at the crummy exchange rate it was only £20 ($40) for a week :-)
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:33 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Thank the heavens! With 2 year old twins that is good to know.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:36 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

.. good stuff .. I ought to say though (after reading you question again) that we had permanent residence when we arrived, a work visa may be different.. I don't know
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:29 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Anyone know? Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

benandtan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I would question if Auckland would be the right location for you to have all these factors available, without having huge amounts if money. The weather in particular can be very variable.

Places to consider

Nelson/Marlborough
Tauranga
Whakatane
Gisborne
Dunedin
Thanks for the info Catchafire. I'll make sure I check those areas out
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:00 am
Just Joined

benandtan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krisby
If you have decided on the area you want to live in you need to find out the primary job sectors available if you need to retrain. No point training to be an database administrator and living in Christchurch when they need tradesman and engineers.
So find out from family that is already there what the local job market is like, look on seek or trademe and get ideas then perhaps tailor your re-training towards that.
Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know? Thanks.
Blimey, at risk of hijacking the OP - I've looked at this and it's as clear as mud, no real mention so far of visa/residency to qualify.

I'll ask my OH when I get home to see if she knows anything.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Where are you working at the moment? Yes NZ has a lot of beautiful scenery but Cornwall, Devon and areas of Scotland are lovely. So is the south of England and areas around the national parks.
True enough, there is no doubt there are some vast beautiful areas of the UK - but even though North Somerset isn't all that far from Devon or Cornwall getting down there and back again on that 'Spine Road' or whatever they call it down there is not fun, even less fun with kids.

Also, the parts of Scotland that are beautiful are miles away from anywhere. Whilst most of New Zealand is remote, you don't have to go far even from the Auckland to get some scenery.

Just one quick example; for me there's nothing in any town or city in the UK that compares to popping over to Takapuna beach of an afternoon and looking out to Rangitoto.

Whilst a remote areas of NZ are spectacular in a lot of urban New Zealand you can be amongst beautiful scenery quickly and be home again for tea without the need for making a massive trip of it in terms of cost and time off work.

Most Aucklanders could head out to the Hillary Trail within 45 mins. There are few comparisions in the UK from getting from a town or city to do something like the Hillary Trail. There are many from the towns and cities in New Zealand.

Though, I did once play Rugby with a lad who told me this;

"When I got to New Zealand I was awestruck by the scenery. After a few months, I got bored of turning around another corner and saying - wow".

You have to laugh at that with a sense of agreement!!

PS Sorry to bleat on about Auckland, just using it as an example being the major city. I use that term 'major' loosely.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:01 pm
NZ wannabe

I beg to differ! Big hills can be seen from my window and I'm 10 mins on the train to Glasgow city centre!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ! Big hills can be seen from my window and I'm 10 mins on the train to Glasgow city centre!
we' 're spoiled in Scotland
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benandtan
We are attracted to being able to do outdoor things with the kids without it raining constantly, the low crime rates, more laid back, beautiful scenery etc
Crime rates in New Zealand are not low.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I would question if Auckland would be the right location for you to have all these factors available, without having huge amounts if money. The weather in particular can be very variable.

Places to consider

Nelson/Marlborough
Tauranga
Whakatane
Gisborne
Dunedin
I agree. Auckland has at least double the amount of rain than London.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
it was a perfectly sensible question. You spend a lot of time at work so having a job you don't like in the sun isn't likely to make you happy, no matter what the view out of your bedroom window is like. If like me you spent last winter in a different city living in a motel due to work commitments you may understand just how long the winters can be here.

I have no intention of telling the OP what is best for them or, from memory ever have in the past, with anyone.
Yup, again, I agree. Good jobs are much more important than scenery (to me at least). Simply because you spend so much time working.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Crime rates in New Zealand are not low.
This is true I looked into yesterday after hearing yet another murder.
Seems NZ is ahead of UK in total crimes victims and 44% higher for rape, and higher for suicide in all ages
NZ was second and UK 3rd

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/...-Kingdom/Crime
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
This is true I looked into yesterday after hearing yet another murder.
Seems NZ is ahead of UK in total crimes victims and 44% higher for rape, and higher for suicide in all ages
NZ was second and UK 3rd

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/...-Kingdom/Crime
Those NZ suicide stats are bloody shocking. I wonder why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.