British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-656349/)

traceyandco Feb 23rd 2010 9:15 pm

Hello

Hi

I'm Trace and me and my daughter are moving out to auckland from the uk (cornwall). If all goes well it should be happening in May.
Any tips would be great. I've been looking at flights and any advise regarding who to avoid etc would also be good.
Cheers

alanmacc Feb 23rd 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Hello

Originally Posted by traceyandco (Post 8369132)
Hi

I'm Trace and me and my daughter are moving out to auckland from the uk (cornwall). If all goes well it should be happening in May.
Any tips would be great. I've been looking at flights and any advise regarding who to avoid etc would also be good.
Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum, flights are really a matter of opinion, we flew Emirates and thought it was great, had also flown Quantas a few years back who were also pretty good, but personally British Airways id give a miss on, didn't like them atall.

There are tons of people in Auckland so im sure you will get plenty of advice

traceyandco Feb 23rd 2010 9:58 pm

Hi, thanks for that. I've got friends who flew out last year for a holiday and they flew with air nz. The only problem they had was with the stop at LA,said they'd never go that way again! I've read a few times in the emigrate mag about different airlines offering increase in baggage allowence on the first flight?? But I've spent the best part of today trying to find any info on this and I'm getting no where. Guess i'll have to keep looking!
Cheers

RobDon Feb 23rd 2010 10:15 pm

Hello & Welcome from us too ;)

We flew Emirates last year and couldnt fault either the flight or the service. :thumbup:

Him and Me Feb 23rd 2010 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by traceyandco (Post 8369239)
Hi, thanks for that. I've got friends who flew out last year for a holiday and they flew with air nz. The only problem they had was with the stop at LA,said they'd never go that way again! I've read a few times in the emigrate mag about different airlines offering increase in baggage allowence on the first flight?? But I've spent the best part of today trying to find any info on this and I'm getting no where. Guess i'll have to keep looking!
Cheers

Hi we flew Nz to L.A in January and it was fine, we we're told that immigration in usa was awful and we'd be queing for hours but in fact we went thru under 45mins with 2 kids in tow..:thumbup: i think the fact that we landed at night helped thou. cant fault Air nz...they were brilliant with the 2 kids :thumbsup:

Am Loolah Feb 24th 2010 10:10 pm

Hello and welcome to BE.:thumbup:

You can go on to the main front page for the NZ forum and on the right hand side is a "Search Forum" facility. You could try using this for investigating airlines and baggage allowances as I'm sure it's here somewhere!

Alternatively start a new thread in the main forum for any questions you may have - we're a helpful bunch on the whole.:lol:

Happy posting.

Wooly_Cow Feb 24th 2010 10:43 pm

Air NZ imho are the best.

Qantas - not so good - my DD flew with them a few weeks ago and said the food wasn't as good, neother the space or entertainment or cabin crew

If you can and don't need the extra luggage go east via HK so the stop over is pleasant. A stop over in LA whilst not terrible anymore does nothing to add to the enjoyment (you don't look forward to getting off the plane but more to getting back on it!)

(LAX as the first impression of the US - well if I were in charge of a country with over 200 million people, I'd be embarrassed at the rudeness, paranoia and tattiness. Some say that LHR is as bad but I've never found it so...certainly not T5 and the new T1/2)

Air NZ has the advantage that if you are going further than AUK your baggage allowance goes all the way.

traceyandco Feb 26th 2010 3:45 pm

Hi all,thanks for all the tips. I've been working nights so haven't had chance to reply on here or look. can anyone also recommend good shipping companies. I've emailed about 6 companies - had one reply from PSS (i think),sounded really helpful but would like other people's perspectives.
Thanks a lot. I'm going for my tea now:thumbsup:

bevissa65 Feb 27th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by traceyandco (Post 8369132)
Hi

Cheers

Hello and welcome, we flew October via LA for the extra baggage allowance. LA was crap just because the shopping was lousy and we had 8 hours to kill :rofl: BA were fine and Qantas were good I'm told but as I was asleep for about 11 out of the 12 hours I couldn't really comment :rofl: Depends on how important the luggage allowance is I guess. We live in North Shore, only about 15 mins from Auckland and we love it :thumbsup: Good luck, Bevissa

Am Loolah Feb 27th 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by traceyandco (Post 8377569)
Hi all,thanks for all the tips. I've been working nights so haven't had chance to reply on here or look. can anyone also recommend good shipping companies. I've emailed about 6 companies - had one reply from PSS (i think),sounded really helpful but would like other people's perspectives.
Thanks a lot. I'm going for my tea now:thumbsup:

If your moving from Cornwall - we used Britannia Lanes in Truro who were excellent.:thumbup: