Hello

Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:25 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of
Smile Hello

Hi

My name is Darryl and I have been living in Auckland for 5 yrs and I wish I had known about this site then (was it around then?), especially would have loved to have heard from other people about their experiences in NZ.

My kiwi hubby and I live in Auckland on the North Shore and love it, although for a non driver like myself, transport can sometimes be a problem - doesnt the transport system (or lack of) suck - one of the baddies about NZ (there aren't many).

I look forward to chatting and may be meet up. I am mid 40s (very young though) and my hubby is late 30s. We have no kiddies.

Look forward to chatting.

Darryl
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:37 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Originally Posted by dazal
Hi

My name is Darryl and I have been living in Auckland for 5 yrs and I wish I had known about this site then (was it around then?), especially would have loved to have heard from other people about their experiences in NZ.

My kiwi hubby and I live in Auckland on the North Shore and love it, although for a non driver like myself, transport can sometimes be a problem - doesnt the transport system (or lack of) suck - one of the baddies about NZ (there aren't many).

I look forward to chatting and may be meet up. I am mid 40s (very young though) and my hubby is late 30s. We have no kiddies.

Look forward to chatting.

Darryl
Welcome to the site! Not sure if this site was around then, but 5 years is certainly a long(ish?) time to be here. Miss public transport? Then be extremely lucky you don't live in the US. Seriously anything is better! I would have to walk 2 miles to the nearest "bus stop" to take me to the train station. Yay...

OK, sorry, ramlings/rant over. There are a few on here that are already in Auckland, please do join in.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:10 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Oh dear, I am brand spanking new and have been told off already
Sorry, I will stick with my transport woes though. I am a non driver - much to my husband's disgust so do have some troubles there. Trying to get my A into G for driving lessons! and to sit that 'orrible test first, but cant say its something I am looking forward to.

Thanks for the welcome

Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:01 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, I am brand spanking new and have been told off already
Sorry, I will stick with my transport woes though. I am a non driver - much to my husband's disgust so do have some troubles there. Trying to get my A into G for driving lessons! and to sit that 'orrible test first, but cant say its something I am looking forward to.

Thanks for the welcome

Oh hello!!!!!! You've no idea how pleased I am to 'see' you I too live on the Shore and don't drive and also have a hubby who gets peed off with me and I am also 'thinking' about starting Whereabouts are you?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:11 am
CockneyLass

Hello, the feeling is mutual. It is so nice to come across someone else who is in the same boat. There aren't many of us are there!

My husband has actually put his foot down now and told me that until I at least get past the written test he wont be driving me around anymore. Which means he wont pick me up from places or take me to places that I might need to go!!! But to be honest, he does have a point, I really should at least get through the written part but I think after so many years of not driving its incredibly difficult to get motivated to do it. I am sure you can understand my sentiments.

I live in Birkdale - where abouts are you?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:31 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, the feeling is mutual. It is so nice to come across someone else who is in the same boat. There aren't many of us are there!

My husband has actually put his foot down now and told me that until I at least get past the written test he wont be driving me around anymore. Which means he wont pick me up from places or take me to places that I might need to go!!! But to be honest, he does have a point, I really should at least get through the written part but I think after so many years of not driving its incredibly difficult to get motivated to do it. I am sure you can understand my sentiments.

I live in Birkdale - where abouts are you?
Not far away at all - Glenfield I'm always afraid that OH will put his foot down like that but tbh, he knows that if he gives me an ultimatum I'll never do it - I'm a bit stubborn My sister learned when she was 42. She has 4 children and it was getting really difficult to get them ferried around so she had to do it - I think so long as the public transport is there - limited as it is - it's easier to put it off. But, it is limiting - there's loads of stuff I'd love to be able to do, like going to visit friends and 'popping down to the shops' isn't really an option is it? I started learning to swim a few weeks ago (not going fantastically well but it's early days ) and since then I've done a few things that I wouldn't normally do - like climb really high on a ladder It's as if actually taking the plunge has made me braver and I've been thinking more and more about the driving.

What's Birkdale like to live in? We're (sort of) thinking of selling in the Spring and I've been looking around Birkenhead/Beach Haven/Birkdale areas. I wouldn't want to be further from the City and it's still handy for OH's work in Wairau.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:41 am
CockneyLass

I know it is incredibly limiting. I dont have a problem getting into Takapuna (where I work) or into town if I have to but if I need to get anywhere else I am pretty much stuck and I hate having to get people to drop me off places as well! And no we cant really pop anywhere unfortunately. I keep on telling myself, I will do it

As for Birkdale. I love it. The whole area Birkdale/Birkenhead/Beachhaven is really nice. I know it had quite a bad reputation for a while but think that was a good few years ago and its really nice now. We have only been here just over a year as we lived in Bayswater before now which is much posher! but I much prefer it here and the cafe at the top of our road does the best breakfast ever! so thats always a bonus There is no problem getting into town either. I have to say I do love it.

How long have you been in Akl?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:02 am
By name and by nature

Hi Darryl. I've sent you a PM
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:42 am
CockneyLass

Hi ya have replied by PM