British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hello-421037/)

summersun Jan 22nd 2007 11:27 pm

Re: The Really Useful Thread

HI ALL,.PLEASE READ ME!
just found this site, and how refreshing and above all interesting!
weve just returned to the uk ( family of 4 ) from a stint living in rural france,funny how the same remarks are on the forums there!
personally ive lived in the canary islands ( 5 yrs ), also germany ( very briefly!), new zealand auckland (also briefly but didnt want to leave ), and travelled to many different countrys worldwide over a space of 15 years. back in blighty now though, and have to say its ok! but having feet like mine we will be on the move again! (my poor hubby!)
anyway you may think i must be REALLY well paid in a high flying job to be doing all that, but no.... shock horror sorry to dissapoint you. normal job. VERY COMMON, just a good brain is all it needs, along with the right frame of mind.
you see, it really doesnt matter WHERE you are these days its really all the same when you relocate. its the frame of mind that makes it right for you,and thats the hardest thing to have.
britain isnt that bad, although i have to agree totally it depends on the area you live in, (LIKE EVERYWHERE.)
we are on the south coast, very vibrant and very rich, so you have to have the will and find a way to live in these areas ( like many migrants are currently! but thats another story!)
we are one of many british familys of hard working nature with some (not alot ) equity looking for a better life abroad.
france was the ONLY place we could go, and even then we bought a run down mud shack of a heap of ****(lovelyness) to do up!!!!!!!!!
thinking i had an advantage with all my worldly knowledge,( and speaking french) and now having a hubby and 2 kidos in toe we did it.( but it was with many tears and hard work along the way.)
born british, feel british, but not afraid to trysomething else!
my moto may not be wise, but this world isnt very wise at the moment, i want my kids to see feel and learn although it is becomming harder as they grow older ( 6&10 ) as most parents will know worry sets in at a certain age.
i think auckland will be our next destination. maybe last who knows,
i loved it 12 yrs ago, hairdressers came above doctors on the wanted list then!(lucky me!)
well guys i love you all you x pats! ....i can say one thing that will bring a smile to you face........whilst your eating your bacon butty ( pre made on purpose in a lunch box, OH AND A FLASK OF TEA! ) on a moment of rememberance on some country lane in britain that you find, just think how wonderful YOU ALL are for being one of those minority that actually try to fulfill their dreams! ( you know the saying.)..........BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DREAM FOR...THEY JUST MIGHT COME TRUE!
D.X

Danemad Jan 23rd 2007 4:46 pm

Re: Hello

Hi,

Well you are more well travelled than me although I have been in Spain for the last 3 years (I was brought up here aged 7 to 15) and always wanted to return but it was not what I remembered or expected.

Now have itchy feet again and (unlike you) have NO desire to return to the country (UK) I have been trying to escape from for the last 23 years. Apart from Debenhams, extra thick double cream and my mum, the UK has nothing to offer me! Bleh! :thumbdown:

We also have decided upon NZ, will probably be Auckland as I have a cousin there otherwise CHch would have probably won pending further investigation of other areas.

Anyway, it will be interesting to read about your progress. Good luck.