Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello *wave* Just starting our potential journey :-)

Hello *wave* Just starting our potential journey :-)

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 3:05 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello *wave* Just starting our potential journey :-)

Depends what you have in your house worth shipping. I'm in south island. We sold everything and shipped 7 boxes full of clothes. If we had the money def ship everything but if not there is countless secondhand stores. Fb selling pages are great. Furnished house for 2500 dollars but we aren't fussy.

We paid 350 pound for boxes with Anglo pacific cost another 150 dollars this end.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:01 am
Just Joined

annieo24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I must be getting confused - I qualify as a Midwife in 2016 so just starting to research it all now and thought I read on the immigration site about having to prove you can fund yourself for a year and have enough money to fly home if it was needed From what I can see I think the first step is to apply for registration with NZ midwifery council once Ive qualified here, apply for jobs and then start the skilled worker visa application x
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, just seen this. I will PM you more information about the process I have been through
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annieo24
Thanks I must be getting confused - I qualify as a Midwife in 2016 so just starting to research it all now x
Don't you have to be qualified for a certain amount of time to apply? 2 yrs or was that just nursing?)
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what the MC decide. I am told some folks get spaces on the graduate courses over there... so freshly qualified...
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by WhatToDo82
It depends on what the MC decide. I am told some folks get spaces on the graduate courses over there... so freshly qualified...
Now I'm confused. But it doesn't take much.

What does your post , which I have quoted above, refer to please?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:55 am
`

Thanks I must be getting confused - I qualify as a Midwife in 2016 so just starting to research it all now and thought I read on the immigration site about having to prove you can fund yourself for a year and have enough money to fly home if it was needed
Ah ! Are we talking about this ?

Originally Posted by NZIS Work Visa Guide 1016
Post-study work visa (employer assisted

You may be eligible for a Post-study work visa (employer assisted) if you have successfully completed a qualification in New Zealand that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category and you have a job offer which is relevant to that qualification.

You may apply for a work visa for a maximum of two years to get practical experience suitable to your qualification. You may apply for a work visa for a maximum of three years if you are working towards getting membership or registration from a New Zealand professional association, which requires more than two years of relevant practical work experience.

You must apply for the
work visa no later than three months after the end date of your student visa for that course or qualification, or be the holder of a Post-study work visa (open).

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 24th 2014 at 1:57 am. Reason: it double quoted .
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Not quite. I was referring to your question of whether 2 years experience is required to come over as a midwife as it is with nursing. Which it's not per se. It's dependant on the NZ midwifery council (MC) giving you registration, which they can do straight from qualification, but I understand they will impose limits on your practice if this is the case. The hospitals I NZ offer graduate programmes for newly qualified midwives that I have been told some UK new graduates have had places on. But any work (and therefore visa) is dependent on acceptance by the MC.

I hope that makes more sense, sorry if it was a bit garbled before :-)
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:20 pm
`

Ooo. We're all a bit muddled which I rather like

That question came from MrsF , not me.

So. Do you know if NZIS will allow points under the SMC for a newly qualified midwife without any work experience please?

It would be an important difference between nurses and midwives.

edit....

I had another thought too.

Do you have to do IELTS like nurses do?

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 24th 2014 at 9:29 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Doh, sorry. Mostly replying in my phone, so I can't see what came before once my keyboard pops up!

Points, yes, for being skilled, but no extra points for extra experience.

Nope, we don't need the IELTS if our qualification was obtained from an English speaking country. Although, apparently we used to, 5 or so years ago.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:56 am
`

Great posts.
Have some BE karma. They are the blue boxes that have just appeared.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Ooh cool :-) Thank you :-)
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I must be getting confused - I qualify as a Midwife in 2016 so just starting to research it all now and thought I read on the immigration site about having to prove you can fund yourself for a year and have enough money to fly home if it was needed From what I can see I think the first step is to apply for registration with NZ midwifery council once Ive qualified here, apply for jobs and then start the skilled worker visa application x
Just came across this and thought I'd update it with information that just came through today from the midwifery council, looks like they've stopped taking on any overseas newly graduated midwives...

Internationally Qualified Midwives Registration Policy review

The Council formally reviewed the policy on the Registration of Internationally Qualified Midwives (IQM). It made the following changes:

That midwives seeking registration must provide evidence of two years’ post registration midwifery practice, within the immediate five years preceding application. This must include practice across the scope. The Council will no longer register Internationally Qualified New Graduate midwives
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

I hope that doesn't scupper my chances, having had my application put on hold and all. I've been qualified 2.5 years but only worked sporadically in that time :-/