Helensville anyone ?

Helensville anyone ?

Old May 21st 2011, 9:48 pm
VAJ
Just Joined

VAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helensville anyone ?

Hi
We have been here for about 5 months and are living in Warkworth (which I love) whilst DHB commutes to Auckland CBD. We were hoping to by a largish section but house prices are high here so are considering moving west towards Helensville area.

Does anyone know what the Helensville area is like, including schools etc ? If I am honest I haven't heard great things, but haven't spoken to anyone actually living in the area. We can't afford Riverhead, Waitoki, Waiuku type areas unfortunately so are looking in and around Helensville.

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all
Default Re: Helensville anyone ?

I'd quite like to know about this too! We've been looking out that way as the prices are so much more affordable but like you are a little wary without knowing much about the area.
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever driven through it but it always reminds me of a desolate American town with tumbleweed blowing through! Sorry, not very helpful I know but it wouldn't be somewhere I would want to live.
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:13 am
VAJ
Just Joined

Yes unfortunately I haven't heard particularly good things about the area or the schools, but it is soooooo affordable in comparison. I was hoping that someone living there would give me some positive news but its looking unlikely
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

It's obviously the reason why it's so affordable!
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:50 am
VAJ
Just Joined

Originally Posted by faye_h
It's obviously the reason why it's so affordable!
I know....though there is that part of me which wonders how long it can remain like that with the Auckland sprawl and cost of houses.....maybe its a good idea getting in whilst its still cheap ? (or am I just kidding myself!!!)
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Personally don't much like Helensville and think the commute would be harder but others might know for sure.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to like Helensville, because there is seemingly nothing wrong with it - however I agree with Vital there; you feel like you stepped off your horse and walked into the wrong town and everyone knows you're a stranger.

It does most certainly have that 'poverty stricken' Northland town look and feel to it and if you've travelled a bit North of Warkworth, you'll know what I mean. That's not to say there isn't plenty of money thereabouts, with many people having baches and second homes out on the West Coast beaches.

If I was wanting a rural property,then by all means I would not rule the whole area out perse as it has a lot going for it simply being close enough to the larger Auckland amenities should you want or need them. For the right property I would consider that North/West area as a whole and then use Albany as my base for shops and other amenities. I would simply avoid the centre of Helensville completely.

Have you looked at Dairy Flat or Kumeu?
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:38 am
VAJ
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I tried to like Helensville, because there is seemingly nothing wrong with it - however I agree with Vital there; you feel like you stepped off your horse and walked into the wrong town and everyone knows you're a stranger.

It does most certainly have that 'poverty stricken' Northland town look and feel to it and if you've travelled a bit North of Warkworth, you'll know what I mean. That's not to say there isn't plenty of money thereabouts, with many people having baches and second homes out on the West Coast beaches.

If I was wanting a rural property,then by all means I would not rule the whole area out perse as it has a lot going for it simply being close enough to the larger Auckland amenities should you want or need them. For the right property I would consider that North/West area as a whole and then use Albany as my base for shops and other amenities. I would simply avoid the centre of Helensville completely.

Have you looked at Dairy Flat or Kumeu?
We looked at Dairy Flat.......OK if you have about $600k upwards ;-) I have heard good things about Kumeu but haven't looked their yet.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Kumeu is expensive too. How much do you want to spend?
What about Franklin? Awhitu? it's a way out but you can till get a bargain out there. And hubby might be able to drive to Pukekohe and get the train in