British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Helensville anyone ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/helensville-anyone-717923/)

VAJ May 21st 2011 9:48 pm

Helensville anyone ?

Hi
We have been here for about 5 months and are living in Warkworth (which I love) whilst DHB commutes to Auckland CBD. We were hoping to by a largish section but house prices are high here so are considering moving west towards Helensville area.

Does anyone know what the Helensville area is like, including schools etc ? If I am honest I haven't heard great things, but haven't spoken to anyone actually living in the area. We can't afford Riverhead, Waitoki, Waiuku type areas unfortunately so are looking in and around Helensville.

Thanks

faye_h May 22nd 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Helensville anyone ?

I'd quite like to know about this too! We've been looking out that way as the prices are so much more affordable but like you are a little wary without knowing much about the area.

scrubbedexpat094 May 22nd 2011 10:43 pm

I've only ever driven through it but it always reminds me of a desolate American town with tumbleweed blowing through! Sorry, not very helpful I know but it wouldn't be somewhere I would want to live.

VAJ May 23rd 2011 3:13 am

Yes unfortunately I haven't heard particularly good things about the area or the schools, but it is soooooo affordable in comparison. I was hoping that someone living there would give me some positive news but its looking unlikely :(

faye_h May 23rd 2011 3:27 am

It's obviously the reason why it's so affordable! :thumbdown:

VAJ May 23rd 2011 3:50 am

Originally Posted by faye_h (Post 9381543)
It's obviously the reason why it's so affordable! :thumbdown:

I know....though there is that part of me which wonders how long it can remain like that with the Auckland sprawl and cost of houses.....maybe its a good idea getting in whilst its still cheap ? (or am I just kidding myself!!!)

dorrick May 23rd 2011 5:21 am

Personally don't much like Helensville and think the commute would be harder but others might know for sure.

Bo-Jangles May 23rd 2011 8:34 am

I tried to like Helensville, because there is seemingly nothing wrong with it - however I agree with Vital there; you feel like you stepped off your horse and walked into the wrong town and everyone knows you're a stranger. :rofl:

It does most certainly have that 'poverty stricken' Northland town look and feel to it and if you've travelled a bit North of Warkworth, you'll know what I mean. That's not to say there isn't plenty of money thereabouts, with many people having baches and second homes out on the West Coast beaches.

If I was wanting a rural property,then by all means I would not rule the whole area out perse as it has a lot going for it simply being close enough to the larger Auckland amenities should you want or need them. For the right property I would consider that North/West area as a whole and then use Albany as my base for shops and other amenities. I would simply avoid the centre of Helensville completely. :rofl:

Have you looked at Dairy Flat or Kumeu?

VAJ May 23rd 2011 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9381904)
I tried to like Helensville, because there is seemingly nothing wrong with it - however I agree with Vital there; you feel like you stepped off your horse and walked into the wrong town and everyone knows you're a stranger. :rofl:

It does most certainly have that 'poverty stricken' Northland town look and feel to it and if you've travelled a bit North of Warkworth, you'll know what I mean. That's not to say there isn't plenty of money thereabouts, with many people having baches and second homes out on the West Coast beaches.

If I was wanting a rural property,then by all means I would not rule the whole area out perse as it has a lot going for it simply being close enough to the larger Auckland amenities should you want or need them. For the right property I would consider that North/West area as a whole and then use Albany as my base for shops and other amenities. I would simply avoid the centre of Helensville completely. :rofl:

Have you looked at Dairy Flat or Kumeu?

We looked at Dairy Flat.......OK if you have about $600k upwards ;-) I have heard good things about Kumeu but haven't looked their yet.

pricklykina May 23rd 2011 8:54 am

Kumeu is expensive too. How much do you want to spend?
What about Franklin? Awhitu? it's a way out but you can till get a bargain out there. And hubby might be able to drive to Pukekohe and get the train in