Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice
Default Re: hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

Originally Posted by SarahB
I hate getting bitten by sandflies. They are in our garden and on the beach, specially when the tide is on its way out... I've reacted a bit odd to a couple of their bites.... looked like I had massive love-bites on my body! They dont seem to like biting through sun-screen so I plaster my legs with that.... not had a single bite through sun-screen.
Our first day in this rental and I was pegging out the clothes,when I saw something move in the peg basket...there was this spider, I called my OH and we looked it up on the internet....yup, sure enough it was a white tail !!
Sounds like a grim picture in this rental...rats and white tail spiders...!!
I got a tip on this site to use Vit B suppliments, or eat marmite, to stop the sand flies biting, I hate marmite, so I take the supplements, and I have noticed that I am not bitten(as much)
Hope you get the ants sorted.....we don't have ants thank goodness, I think the rats and spiders frighten them off!!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex
Our first day in this rental and I was pegging out the clothes,when I saw something move in the peg basket...there was this spider, I called my OH and we looked it up on the internet....yup, sure enough it was a white tail !!
Sounds like a grim picture in this rental...rats and white tail spiders...!!
I got a tip on this site to use Vit B suppliments, or eat marmite, to stop the sand flies biting, I hate marmite, so I take the supplements, and I have noticed that I am not bitten(as much)
Hope you get the ants sorted.....we don't have ants thank goodness, I think the rats and spiders frighten them off!!
LOL.... oh you poor thing! Our ants are still around everyday but not in the same numbers as before. They come out of hiding so damn quick.... I only have to say leave a used plate in the kitchen and leave it there for 5 mins and theres ants all over it.

I think I've seen some white tails but I'm not really sure if they were or not. They had white markings on their bums so I assumed they were?!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:52 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah, the Robocan is great and you can take that with you to your new place. it stops the moths coming in at night too. We had loads of moths in our pantry - it was horrible - every evening I'd open the doors and they were all over the undersides of the shelves :scared: It really freaked me out and then we realised that the robocan had run out so bought a new one and they were all gone in a week. We don't get any insects at all in the house when we've got that.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Today sees the return of the kitchen ants with a vengeance. Bl00dy things!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Today sees the return of the kitchen ants with a vengeance. Bl00dy things!!

Bloody hell not again!! Poor you
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

They seem to be in the kitchen more in wet weather and certainly had plenty of that lately. Also, because I have had flu pretty bad last night I left a couple of things to wash up in the sink coz I just couldnt be @rsed.... silly me..... my fault really. OH is gonna put some more bait down as we have plenty and it worked last time.... we move out in 2 weeks and 3 days anyway... not that Im counting...
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

They seem to be in the kitchen more in wet weather and certainly had plenty of that lately. Also, because I have had flu pretty bad last night I left a couple of things to wash up in the sink coz I just couldnt be @rsed.... silly me..... my fault really. OH is gonna put some more bait down as we have plenty and it worked last time.... we move out in 2 weeks and 3 days anyway... not that Im counting...
Sarah, Batty is right, get yourself a robocan!!!!!
When we moved a month ago we had a lovely clean kitchen and within days it was covered in ants but we put a fresh can in and haven't had any since. Also we get horrible roach things that come in from the garden and within 3/4 minutes of them getting in the kitchen they are on the floor on their backs with legs wiggling about. Also good for mozzies, spiders etc...
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jude J
Sarah, Batty is right, get yourself a robocan!!!!!
When we moved a month ago we had a lovely clean kitchen and within days it was covered in ants but we put a fresh can in and haven't had any since. Also we get horrible roach things that come in from the garden and within 3/4 minutes of them getting in the kitchen they are on the floor on their backs with legs wiggling about. Also good for mozzies, spiders etc...
Thanks, I will definately put one on my shopping list. Its not like our kitchen is on the ground floor either.... we have an upside down house with bedrooms downstairs and living/kitchen etc upstairs. I think they must be living in the walls and if I even leave a crumb out or littlun leaves a sticky fingerprint somewhere then within minutes they are there. I normally shop at PacNSave.... do they sell them there? Theres no other creepy crawlies in the house.... just these ants.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, I will definately put one on my shopping list. Its not like our kitchen is on the ground floor either.... we have an upside down house with bedrooms downstairs and living/kitchen etc upstairs. I think they must be living in the walls and if I even leave a crumb out or littlun leaves a sticky fingerprint somewhere then within minutes they are there. I normally shop at PacNSave.... do they sell them there? Theres no other creepy crawlies in the house.... just these ants.
I think they do something simular, but check the contents as with the robocan brand, the ingredient that actually kills things, is natural and harmless to infants and pets, but I'm not sure about other makes. Hope that made sense! It's just I know you have the toddler plus one on the way and if you want it postitioned in the kitchen in your new house you will need the unharmful one.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I think they do something simular, but check the contents as with the robocan brand, the ingredient that actually kills things, is natural and harmless to infants and pets, but I'm not sure about other makes. Hope that made sense! It's just I know you have the toddler plus one on the way and if you want it postitioned in the kitchen in your new house you will need the unharmful one.
Youre right.... my OH flips his lid if he thinks theres anything in the house that might harm us or littlun anyway.... hes right to worry too. We've never seen as many air fresheners of every shape and size as they make in this country... and they advertise them on TV a lot too.... surely too much of that stuff is bad for you.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Youre right.... my OH flips his lid if he thinks theres anything in the house that might harm us or littlun anyway.... hes right to worry too. We've never seen as many air fresheners of every shape and size as they make in this country... and they advertise them on TV a lot too.... surely too much of that stuff is bad for you.
True, I was at a friends house warming on Saturday, they had one in the loo that sprays as you close the door. Loo smelt lovely but you get a blast of chemicals in your face, I would rather open a window!

The one to look for then is made from some kind of plant extract, it doesn't smell and is safe. The first one I got was from the parent and child show in Auckland, they are probably available by post too but the robocan, sold in Placemakers, Mitre 10, not sure where else, have the same active ingredient. The unit is the expensive thing, it is about $80 and the refills are $25 I think but they last a while.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

True, I was at a friends house warming on Saturday, they had one in the loo that sprays as you close the door. Loo smelt lovely but you get a blast of chemicals in your face, I would rather open a window!

The one to look for then is made from some kind of plant extract, it doesn't smell and is safe. The first one I got was from the parent and child show in Auckland, they are probably available by post too but the robocan, sold in Placemakers, Mitre 10, not sure where else, have the same active ingredient. The unit is the expensive thing, it is about $80 and the refills are $25 I think but they last a while.
OK we will have a look around.... we surf a lot looking for bargains too. I just hope the new (old) house we are buying is not ant-infested.... that would be just my luck!! The seller said he doesnt get any ants in there.... its another upside down house too.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

OK we will have a look around.... we surf a lot looking for bargains too. I just hope the new (old) house we are buying is not ant-infested.... that would be just my luck!! The seller said he doesnt get any ants in there.... its another upside down house too.
thats a good point, they might be available on trade me?
have you started packing yet? Bet you are excited. I love moving
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

thats a good point, they might be available on trade me?
have you started packing yet? Bet you are excited. I love moving
Noooooo.... I hate moving!!! I'm the kinda person who just likes to feel settled and know everything is good in my life.... Im a worrier!!

I havnt started packing as this is the first day I feel that Im starting to get over my flu... first thing I did this morning was take littlun down to the livery yard to see my poor forgotten about horse.... then I cleaned my little blue car that is now up for sale.... I'm totally pooped now which is why Ive sat here all afternoon.

I will have to start packing pretty soon though wont I..... we still have most of the moving boxes from when we arrived last year knowing that we wouldnt stay in a rental for too long.... not got any packing materials though.

My OH is Trademe addict.... he was ebay addict back home.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=SarahB]Noooooo.... I hate moving!!! I'm the kinda person who just likes to feel settled and know everything is good in my life.... Im a worrier!!

I havnt started packing as this is the first day I feel that Im starting to get over my flu... first thing I did this morning was take littlun down to the livery yard to see my poor forgotten about horse.... then I cleaned my little blue car that is now up for sale.... I'm totally pooped now which is why Ive sat here all afternoon.

I will have to start packing pretty soon though wont I..... we still have most of the moving boxes from when we arrived last year knowing that we wouldnt stay in a rental for too long.... not got any packing materials though.

My OH is Trademe addict.... he was ebay addict back home.[/QUOTE

Glad you are feeling better, we have the ants at our house wednesday,the bloody human kind ,men with builders buns and drink tea!!!!!!
The international movers any advice?
JANE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.