Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Joanna1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

On the last few mornings I've noticed the odd cockroach crawl out from the dishwasher when I open it first thing - aarrgghh!! I'm v.spooked out!
I've never noticed them before - we live in a newish clean apartment building.
Any tips??? have never had to deal with them before, and guess its a case of wehre theres one theres a large extended family....
Am guessing they're in the dishwasher overnight for warmth and darkness??
Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by SarahB
What is it with this horrible little ants?

Theres 2 things I really dont like ...one is wasps (not many here luckily) and the other being ants... not sure where my hatred for them comes from!

When we moved into this house last winter I moved some stuff into the bedroom and that day there was a trail of hundreds of little black ants all round the room and going into the cupboard.... the sheer volume of them made my skin crawl! We put down No Ants but it didnt work very fast and I wouldnt sleep in that room for a few days. Finally I hoovered all of them up as they just wouldnt go.

During the summer they kinda disappeared and now they are back with a vengeance!! They are in the bathroom... all over the bath everyday.... on the floor.... and they love climbing all over the toothbrushes!

They are in the hallway but I can handle that.

What I cant handle is that they are literally all over the kitchen. This morning they were in all the cupboards.... in the dishwasher!! They are walking around all over the walls and surfaces. I boiled the kettle at brekky time and the water was filled with loads of little black boiled bodies!! LOL.... yuck yuck yuck... cant even make a cup of tea without the bloody things being in it!! Stupid things moving into the kettle!!! I got the grill tray out of the oven to make littlun some muffins at lunchtime and within minutes there were hundreds swarming all over it (it was clean)... where do they come from??

They must be living in the walls of this house as theres no way they can move that fast.

Im a houseproud person and keep everything clean and tidy but honestly they p me off.... DS is 2 and one little sticky handprint and the kitchen is full of ants!!

Its not quite a phobia but I really dont like them... I know these dont bite but even as Im sitting on the settee I notice them walking over me. I guess they dont like the wet weather also and have come to join me inside.

Am I the only person with a house full of ants?
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 9:40 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Joanna1
On the last few mornings I've noticed the odd cockroach crawl out from the dishwasher when I open it first thing - aarrgghh!! I'm v.spooked out!
I've never noticed them before - we live in a newish clean apartment building.
Any tips??? have never had to deal with them before, and guess its a case of wehre theres one theres a large extended family....
Am guessing they're in the dishwasher overnight for warmth and darkness??
Thanks in advance!

Bet you are near the coast?
try robocan. It's been great for us. everything beats a hasty retreat.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Joanna1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thanks will get one, yes we're in Auckland....

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Bet you are near the coast?
try robocan. It's been great for us. everything beats a hasty retreat.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice

If we are talking "little visitors"...we had only been in our new rental a couple of weeks when we were aware of strange scraping noises coming from the loft.To be honest I thought it was birds,then a couple of days later the kids (who sleep in cabin beds with there noses practically touching the ceiling) came running through to our bed in the middle of the night because they too could hear scraping and thumping noises moving around above them!! My OH went into the loft, to discover 2 RAT NESTS!!!! When we phoned up the rental agency they told us that it is common this time of year, and the local council gives out free rat bait.(He told us that he had them too!)
I can honestly say I did not sleep a wink for the next week, whilst I imagined these rats sniffing around in the space above us, and praying that they would take the bait.
They have gone now, yet another learning experience during our first year.........(that I would rather have done without.)
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yuck... poor you. A few years ago back in the UK we had a rat in our loft and we managed to catch it in a big old rat trap.... the trap didnt kill it outright as it was supposed to. We carried the trap out into the back garden and my cat thought it was brave and went sniffing round the trap with the trapped rat in it and then the rat squeaked and she shot back into the house like her tail was on fire. My ex-hub had to dispose of the poor old rat. I remember when I first heard something in the loft above me my hub didnt believe it could be a rat... he thought it was a mouse but when he went up there he found giant sized poos everywhere.

I spoke way too soon that the ants are gone. They are back with a vengeance. They are literally all over the kitchen and playroom/living area. I have scrubbed everything and make sure no food is left out but they are everywhere. We have loads of bait down but theres just so many ants. Even if I sit down on the settee and watch tv I am just flicking ants off myself and my clothes. The landlord sent round a building inspector/architect type person today for some unknown reason and I mentioned the ants to him and he just said.... yeah our kitchen at home is full of ants too.... thats just usual. Is it??? I dont know anybody else with this ant problem.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:01 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Oh yuck... poor you. A few years ago back in the UK we had a rat in our loft and we managed to catch it in a big old rat trap.... the trap didnt kill it outright as it was supposed to. We carried the trap out into the back garden and my cat thought it was brave and went sniffing round the trap with the trapped rat in it and then the rat squeaked and she shot back into the house like her tail was on fire. My ex-hub had to dispose of the poor old rat. I remember when I first heard something in the loft above me my hub didnt believe it could be a rat... he thought it was a mouse but when he went up there he found giant sized poos everywhere.

I spoke way too soon that the ants are gone. They are back with a vengeance. They are literally all over the kitchen and playroom/living area. I have scrubbed everything and make sure no food is left out but they are everywhere. We have loads of bait down but theres just so many ants. Even if I sit down on the settee and watch tv I am just flicking ants off myself and my clothes. The landlord sent round a building inspector/architect type person today for some unknown reason and I mentioned the ants to him and he just said.... yeah our kitchen at home is full of ants too.... thats just usual. Is it??? I dont know anybody else with this ant problem.
Blimey Sarah, sounds grim up North.
We've had a few trails of ants in the kitchen but nothing on a biblical scale like you. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:41 pm
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

Hi Sarah,

We also had a problem with ants in our other house. I sprayed around where they were crawling with Raid and that sorted them out fine. Then again we had nothing like as bad as the problem you have. Good luck with getting rid of them, I can't stand insects or spiders!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I hope our new house doesnt have an ant problem!

They are all over the kitchen again today. My OH came home tonight and said to me "do you want to see how many ants there are between the units and the dishwasher?".... I just said...... ermmm.... Nope. He told me there are hundreds there and hes put down loads more bait.... hopefully it will start to work soon.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Our house was inundated with ants when we 1st moved in too - and you could smell them too - a kind of musky smell.
A lot of them seemed to swarm out of the lights switches so we took them off, and put ant powder in which helped a bit. We also had to replace a rotten window sill and found thousands of them in there - it was orrible.

We don't get many now and I've found that a quick squirt with fly spray sorts them out & we don't get any back in the sprayed area.

We've had rats in the loft too - the joys of living in the bush ! It's amazing how much noise they make. When we started hearing them in the walls ( creepy ) we realised it was time to call in the experts as the stuff we bought at Mitre10 obviously wasn't working.
He said that D.I.Y places aren't alowed to sell the really strong stuff. The stuff he put down worked within a day and we haven't had any back... yet...
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Sarah,

Try finding out Rose's number and see if she still does spraying. Honestly we had them so bad in our last House , we tried everything and spent hundreds of dollars getting the little feckers to die that nothing worked. I was told about Rose and got her around and I never had another ant. I think the House was built on an Ant nest.

I've seen the odd Cocroach here but nothing as bad as when we lived in Indonesia where they even crawled into your fridge/oven you name it they were there, we also had these huge Rhinosaurus beetles that were disgusting.

Sarah, Get your new house done before you move in.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

kiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant futurekiwiblossom has a brilliant future

Ants - this always catches me by surprise when I'm back in NZ too.
Some years are definitely worse than others...
I've found that the tiny ants tend to come in from outside, so follow the trail and spray antkiller around the doors and windows or other cracks (inside and outside the house) they are using, and repeat every now and then. The number of ants inside the house usually drops dramatically.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

We've had tonnes of ants too - mostly in the hotter weather but saw another trail the other day - little b*ggers!!

We found only one thing worked and that was from Bunnings in a big green bottle called Home Defender. You basically spray it around the perimeter of the house and it works a treat. You have to spray regularly, so I go on a daily ant hunt armed with the stuff. Also worth checking is that you don't have any overhanging trees and bushes as ours starting climbing up the trees and onto the roof. Cunning...
Old Jul 6th 2006, 9:50 pm
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

It was my landlord who gave me the tip about Raid, he said using the ant bait just attracts more into the house but the Raid gets either kills them straight off or puts them off the scent. We had them in the kitchen, kid's bedroom and the bathroom. God knows where they were getting in but there were so many holes in that place anything could've got in.

I've not seen many spiders yet, just a few spindly daddylonglegs and some tiny little jumping things (not fleas I hope) but I've heard about these whitetail spiders and would freak out if I ever ound one.

Sand flies though......we've been bitten rotten on the beach and in the garden too. They're little black flies with a really mean streak and the bites itch like hell. You'd think this cold weather would've killed off the little bleeders.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cathyc
It was my landlord who gave me the tip about Raid, he said using the ant bait just attracts more into the house but the Raid gets either kills them straight off or puts them off the scent. We had them in the kitchen, kid's bedroom and the bathroom. God knows where they were getting in but there were so many holes in that place anything could've got in.

I've not seen many spiders yet, just a few spindly daddylonglegs and some tiny little jumping things (not fleas I hope) but I've heard about these whitetail spiders and would freak out if I ever ound one.

Sand flies though......we've been bitten rotten on the beach and in the garden too. They're little black flies with a really mean streak and the bites itch like hell. You'd think this cold weather would've killed off the little bleeders.
Can you not buy something to put on that will stop the little bleeders biting :scared:
mossies and sand flies are my worst nightmare, i react bad to them, spoilt quite a lot of my holidays abroard.
jane
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hate getting bitten by sandflies. They are in our garden and on the beach, specially when the tide is on its way out... I've reacted a bit odd to a couple of their bites.... looked like I had massive love-bites on my body! They dont seem to like biting through sun-screen so I plaster my legs with that.... not had a single bite through sun-screen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.