Heating in NZ

Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Heating in NZ

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just saying that a heat pump is still a central heating system and not a bad one, if it's done correctly. Of course it would be the same with gas supply, if you only had one radiator in the whole house .

I agree with you Moses - most people don't understand the concept of having more than one unit but this is of course what happens in most commercial environments. We have ours set up effectively as central heating. Most people don't get any consultation on what size(s) of units they need to heat their whole home and still have the Kiwi mentality of just heating the one space that they sit in.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Some people seem to actually live in their commercial work units.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Some people seem to actually live in their commercial work units.

Yes it's a bit of tax dodge I believe, land can be registered for GST provided it doesn't have a residential property on it, that's why tons of people live in the likes of Versatile and Totalspan steel barns and garages.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Moses I really don't get why you post in the NZ forum. You don't live here and never have. Your contributions are largely inaccurate about a lot of things but this takes the biscuit! There is no form of central heating here, please listen to the previous posts from people who do actually live here. Sure you could install heat pumps in every room but your power bills would be astronomical and unaffordable for most people. Generally it's not feasible and not something that's done and never will be done unless the cost of heat pumps plus fitting and power reduce dramatically.
Why so aggressive . I was in Zealand and now have friends there, but the point is that a heat pump is central heating, so don't give wrong information. You are also mixing things up, as you don't install a heat pump in every room.

The heat pump is outside and then you add units. The problem is that many New Zealand houses aren't insulated, otherwise the heat pump would be far more efficient and you wouldn't have to pay crazy bills. We set the temp to max 21 and not 28 and that's how it should be.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I agree with you Moses - most people don't understand the concept of having more than one unit but this is of course what happens in most commercial environments. We have ours set up effectively as central heating. Most people don't get any consultation on what size(s) of units they need to heat their whole home and still have the Kiwi mentality of just heating the one space that they sit in.
Thanks and finally someone who understands it. I don't want to offend people, but it would be wrong to allow wrong information on this forum.

Even the UK is behind other countries when it comes to central heating systems and you get a grant in the UK, if you install a heat pump ground/air source).

It's pretty common in all new homes and people are going away from gas/oil. As you say, you need the right heat pump to actually heat the units, otherwise it's pointless. We even heat our water with a heat pump and the costs are minimal.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 8:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

see my post below, I had a heat pump in every room apart from the kids rumpus room. whats the use of having a pump that can also act as an air con if you don't utilise it in room like the living room and bedrooms.
The heat pump is the unit on the wall, the outside unit is the condensing unit I believe.

anyway this has gone way of topic now.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
see my post below, I had a heat pump in every room apart from the kids rumpus room. whats the use of having a pump that can also act as an air con if you don't utilise it in room like the living room and bedrooms.The heat pump is the unit on the wall, the outside unit is the condensing unit I believe. anyway this has gone way of topic now.
Off topic, but the concept is easy. If you had a heat pump in every room, it would be like leaving the fridge door open all the time??????

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 11th 2016 at 8:53 am.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:50 am
`

Erm

I have no idea why this has gone this way at all and I say that as a poster after the last rumpus.

Moses . NZ houses are not built per your diagram . Not at all. That is not how they are built and I can tell you that heat pumps do not give ambient heat all throughout a house here in NZ. They do not.

So. I will state. A heat pump here in NZ is NOT central heating as you think you know it.

It will heat or cool the open plan area it is installed in .That is all.

Where do I understand this from? Well that is living here the past 12 years & my husband working on new build houses, none of which are as per your diagram.

You are maybe talking green options & my husband and I used to fit such stuff howver here in NZ only the very wealthy can afford such things.

A heat pump here is inside the house. It could also be used as air con. It heats or cools the room or open plan area it is installed in.

Do I really have to play the Mitsubishi Electric ad ?

So whilst I love your posts Moses, with this you are way off the beam of an NZ reality.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Erm I have no idea why this has gone this way at all and I say that as a poster after the last rumpus. Moses . NZ houses are not built per your diagram . Not at all. That is not how they are built and I can tell you that heat pumps do not give ambient heat all throughout a house here in NZ. They do not. So. I will state. A heat pump here in NZ is NOT central heating as you think you know it. It will heat or cool the open plan area it is installed in .That is all. Where do I understand this from? Well that is living here the past 12 years & my husband working on new build houses, none of which are as per your diagram. You are maybe talking green options & my husband and I used to fit such stuff howver here in NZ only the very wealthy can afford such things. A heat pump here is inside the house. It could also be used as air con. It heats or cools the room or open plan area it is installed in. Do I really have to play the Mitsubishi Electric ad ? So whilst I love your posts Moses, with this you are way off the beam of an NZ reality.
I know where you're coming from, but my point was that central heating systems exist in most houses in New Zealand, so it's wrong to say central heating is non existent. I've seen them everywhere???????????? Definition of central heating: A system for warming a building by heating water or air in one place and circulating it through pipes and radiators or vents:Heat pump:

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 11th 2016 at 10:06 am.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know where you're coming from, but my point was that central heating systems exist in most houses in New Zealand, so it's wrong to say central heating is non existent. I've seen them everywhere???????????? Heat pump:http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...132_MedRes.jpg
And this could be the unit, or you could have underfloor heating, radiators etc.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:04 am
`

Oh . I have just read the rest of your post.

Moses. I think you haven't seen how it is for homes here in NZ.

A heat pump is not outside. It is an interior heater or air con on an inside wall. There may be more than one. It is rally not a nice heat at all.

Houses here ARE insulated and double glazed but the design & style of the houses with the weather that NZ has makes it hard to make an ambient heat in a home that is L shaped or even E shaped.

My own home is not like that so one log burner does the job for a 40 year old house with sound insulation and cedar cladding, However it is hard to get heat or cooling into some rooms . The answer to that may be a French type of duct system and some houses do the heat transfer system.

However, in my experience and that experience is extensive now with my husband being a plumber /gasfitter , nothing will compare to a gas/oil fire central heating system where there are rads in every room . However that would be prohibitively expensive for many NZ householders as we simply do not have reticulated gas or the money for massive oil tanks.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:08 am
`

I know where you're coming from, but my point was that central heating systems exist in most houses in New Zealand, so it's wrong to say central heating is non existent. I've seen them everywhere????????????
You haven't. You really haven't.

I have just gone at some lengths to explain about this.

Really? You are flogging a dead horse. Those of us that live here know what we have or deal with.

Very few people have central heating systems with ambient heat throughout a house . The reason for that is that it is simply impossible. If it was possible, we would all have it & be happy jumpy bunnies in the winter.

ps Bugger all to do with insulation or the like. All about no central heating.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh . I have just read the rest of your post. Moses. I think you haven't seen how it is for homes here in NZ. A heat pump is not outside. It is an interior heater or air con on an inside wall. There may be more than one. It is rally not a nice heat at all. Houses here ARE insulated and double glazed but the design & style of the houses with the weather that NZ has makes it hard to make an ambient heat in a home that is L shaped or even E shaped. My own home is not like that so one log burner does the job for a 40 year old house with sound insulation and cedar cladding, However it is hard to get heat or cooling into some rooms . The answer to that may be a French type of duct system and some houses do the heat transfer system. However, in my experience and that experience is extensive now with my husband being a plumber /gasfitter , nothing will compare to a gas/oil fire central heating system where there are rads in every room . However that would be prohibitively expensive for many NZ householders as we simply do not have reticulated gas or the money for massive oil tanks.
I don't want to argue, but a heat pump is a central heating system, just like you would use gas/oil. If you only install one radiator for the whole house, it would be the same with a gas/oil.

Any professional heating expert will tell you that heat pumps are the way forward and that's why they are installed in new homes around Europe. The problem in New Zealand is that most people had the system well before many people in the UK, but didn't install units/heaters in every room, or let's say don't have a multi/split system, so people now think it's not a good form of central heating (especially Brits). There was no education about the product and in an uninsulated house, you won't see the benefits

The UK is also well behind other countries when it comes to heating solutions, but more new homes now have a heat pump.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Auckland...

taken from Leaving NZ thread

Last edited by MrsFychan; Feb 11th 2016 at 10:52 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 2:13 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating in NZ

My own view is that heat pumps are probably a better fit with the NZ climate than traditional radiator heating, because it is more responsive to change. Also, homes are more open plan. My whole downstairs is open plan so I have one large heat pump that heats or cools most of the area. I am having another fitted upstairs which will heat/cool the master bedroom and bathroom. If I had children staying in the smaller rooms I would have third heat pump fitted to do the hall and two adjoining rooms. All of these can be set on timers or just switched on when you need them.

There are more modern heat pump/transfer systems that do the whole house and if I was building from scratch I would probably install one of those.

I don't think that radiators are all that efficient and should be being replaced by more modern appliances. Am I right in thinking that heat pumps are commonly used in Canada these days? In smaller, well insulated British homes I would have thought there would be cheaper ways to heat a home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.