British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Heating in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/heating-nz-872292/)

Moses2013 Feb 10th 2016 12:22 pm

Heating in NZ

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101 (Post 11861316)
The major difference being, NZ is wetter than a ducks behind , most places outside the southern alps are full of moisture laiden air and hence it all feels colder than it actually shows on the mercury. Because few homes are adequately heated and ventilated mould and mildew is a huge problem, especially up in Auckland. New Zealanders just "brush it off" "pardon the pun" and get on with it. Question them about the health implications and they would tell you to "harden up"........Don't believe anyone that tells you you don't need central heating in NZ, most people don't, but most people would love it!

I thought most people have central heating in New Zealand and I've always seen heat pumps and probably far more than in the UK. The only problem is that the heat is lost in New Zealand homes, so it doesn't make sense. Apart from insulation and build quality, New Zealand is ahead of the UK when it comes to heating systems.

kiwibrit101 Feb 10th 2016 12:42 pm

re: Heating in NZ

I'd have to disagree completely' Most nz homes do not have central heating, you see a lot of cheap ineffective heat pumps that in no way compare to central heating as we know it in the UK. There are a few companies in the south Isalnd that supply the conventional radiator gas powered system, but they charge a mint for it. NZ is definatley streets behind the the uk when it comes to heating homes and don't get me started on the green issue, it's all a huge marketing con!

Moses2013 Feb 10th 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101 (Post 11863217)
I'd have to disagree completely' Most nz homes do not have central heating, you see a lot of cheap ineffective heat pumps that in no way compare to central heating as we know it in the UK. There are a few companies in the south Isalnd that supply the conventional radiator gas powered system, but they charge a mint for it. NZ is definatley streets behind the the uk when it comes to heating homes and don't get me started on the green issue, it's all a huge marketing con!

Sure, but a heat pump is central heating. Most new homes in Europe now have heat pumps, be it air or ground source. Of course they won't be efficient in New Zealand if the home is not insulated, or you go with a no name brand made in China.

We save hundreds compared to gas & oil + it's renewable energy. When it's really cold, I just use a Scandinavian Log burner anyway, which would heat the whole house in no time and very cheap to use.

kiwibrit101 Feb 10th 2016 1:17 pm

A heat pump is only central heating if you have one in every room and after spending 20 years in Auckalnd I have never seen it done that way. Growing, chopping down trees and the transporting the timber is no longer considered sustainable, let alone the eviromental cost .....Not mention the big hole in the ozone layer over NZ......we are all doomed.....lol......how did I get here ?

Moses2013 Feb 10th 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101 (Post 11863261)
A heat pump is only central heating if you have one in every room and after spending 20 years in Auckalnd I have never seen it done that way. Growing, chopping down trees and the transporting the timber is no longer considered sustainable, let alone the eviromental cost .....Not mention the big hole in the ozone layer over NZ......we are all doomed.....lol......how did I get here ?

Just saying that a heat pump is still a central heating system and not a bad one, if it's done correctly. Of course it would be the same with gas supply, if you only had one radiator in the whole house :lol:.

At the end of the day we're humans, so we will always find a way to destroy the planet.

MrsFychan Feb 10th 2016 6:18 pm

the majority of homes have none or if there is heating it is generally log/gas fires and only in one room.
Speaking to builders/contractors things are improving since more immigrants are arriving and importing heating systems, double glazing from abroad.
I believe all new builds have to have insulation, double glazing as standard now but has been a recent requirement.

JaneRiley Feb 10th 2016 6:58 pm

A friend of mine put two heat pumps in her home. Neighbours were aghast and even the electrician said it was "too much". The problem was that they thought she'd bankrupt herself paying to have them switched on. Central heating as it's known in the UK doesn't exist in NZ or maybe only for the very few. Eccentric millionaires who want to heat half a small room but leave the rest of the house like a mouldy fridge.

Pom_Chch Feb 10th 2016 7:45 pm

Moses I really don't get why you post in the NZ forum. You don't live here and never have. Your contributions are largely inaccurate about a lot of things but this takes the biscuit! There is no form of central heating here, please listen to the previous posts from people who do actually live here. Sure you could install heat pumps in every room but your power bills would be astronomical and unaffordable for most people. Generally it's not feasible and not something that's done and never will be done unless the cost of heat pumps plus fitting and power reduce dramatically.

barnsleymat Feb 10th 2016 8:29 pm

If a heat pump is considered central heating then my wife hairdryer must surely be considered a hand heal central heating system.
We could be millionaires.

Kotare Feb 10th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11863717)
........ There is no form of central heating here,.... .

A bit wide ranging, I have seen log burners linked to radiators, oil fired boilers to radiators both central heating as we know it. Certainly not common as most people use a heat pump or log burner to heat the main living areas only (and a good duvet in the bedrooms). Though given the open plan nature of houses a good log burner will heat most of the house (certainly did in my last house).

Condensation is the biggest problem rather than overall temp I suggest and the gradual move towards double glazing will help that.

Up north (both SI and NI) heat pumps can be reverse cycled for cooling in the summer, try doing that with your CH. :)

MrsFychan Feb 10th 2016 9:11 pm

the house we first bought had a heat pump in all the bedrooms except the main bedroom (which we remedied) the living room and the kids room had the log burner in and had double glazing. needless to say that it was previous owned by expats.
The home we are in now had one gas heater in the main living room and thats it. nothing in bedrooms or the other living room and no insulation - we have now insulated the bedroom walls.

kiwibrit101 Feb 11th 2016 1:45 am

No in the UK we have a simpler option, it's called opening a window and you won't get bitten and chewed by every god dam flying insect! With the added bonus that your power bill won't rocket as you " reverse cycle " the planet into oblivion. ......

garethwm Feb 11th 2016 2:26 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11863598)
I believe all new builds have to have insulation, double glazing as standard now but has been a recent requirement.

All houses built since 1978 have some form of insulation. Ours was built in 1990 with Pink Batts in the walls and ceiling, as was the regulation at the time.

kiwibrit101 Feb 11th 2016 2:30 am

Yes and most of them are being reclad and having the soaked bats replaced!

MrsFychan Feb 11th 2016 3:44 am

Originally Posted by garethwm (Post 11863994)
All houses built since 1978 have some form of insulation. Ours was built in 1990 with Pink Batts in the walls and ceiling, as was the regulation at the time.

yes probably just the outside walls and roof. there is probably none in any internal walls as we found. ours built 2002.