Heating choices

Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice
Default Heating choices

Now the cold weather has reared it's ugly head, I was wondering what is your recommendations for heating??

We currently have oil rads in the kids bedrooms and a gas fire in the lounge .... the placement of which sadly is wrong and the heat doesn't make it out of the room

Just wondered due to the price of gas now (dreading the bills again, even before we have turned it on) whether anyone has advice on other types of heaters.

btw yep we are in a rental
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:43 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating choices

Avoid anything that adds moisture such as open gas flames or radiant gas fires.fires with flues, gas or log, are fine as the moisture goes up the flue and out of the house.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

TBH I am not sure what to suggest. De-humidifers are OK but you seem to need to raise the temperature of the property. I know it;s tough,. We have been in a rental with no heating whatsoever and had to rely on one gas bottle heater which was not healthy.

Have you thought of halogen heaters.?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone has any experience of these
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...-364691259.htm
If they give 3.8kW of heating for only 1.3kW of power they can't be bad?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I wonder if anyone has any experience of these
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...-364691259.htm
If they give 3.8kW of heating for only 1.3kW of power they can't be bad?

I've had similar portable air-con in the UK for cooling rather than heating, however only trouble is not may not be good for a rental as they need to be vented outside (like tumble dryer exhaust) or you have a window open and hang the hose outside. The motors can be very noisy, so I would recommend lots of research into specs for noise, capacity etc
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:54 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I've had similar portable air-con in the UK for cooling rather than heating, however only trouble is not may not be good for a rental as they need to be vented outside (like tumble dryer exhaust) or you have a window open and hang the hose outside. The motors can be very noisy, so I would recommend lots of research into specs for noise, capacity etc
There is also a portable a/c unit that condenses and you have to empty water out of the unit, instead of having hot air blow through a hose, these also work the same as a condensing tumble dryer, not sure what the prices are like over here, but they have a good selection in Bunnings.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:57 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwhite1962
There is also a portable a/c unit that condenses and you have to empty water out of the unit, instead of having hot air blow through a hose, these also work the same as a condensing tumble dryer, not sure what the prices are like over here, but they have a good selection in Bunnings.
And should add, on heating you should not get any condensation, only evaporation, it will only be when you use on cooling will you get condensation.