Heating.....

Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:27 am
Just Joined

welshmat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heating.....

The oil filled heaters are expensive to run! try the new micathermic ones, give off alot more heat, heat up much faster and are much cheaper to run, we bought the Delonghi one with all features, worked out really cheap as we bought it from one of the weekly sales at Biscoes
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Hazey will become famous soon enoughHazey will become famous soon enough

I have to laugh at what I look like here in NZ during the winter months, big fleecy PJs, socks and a huge dressing grown. I look like a throw back from the 70's (my husband must count his blessings !!! )
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazey
I have to laugh at what I look like here in NZ during the winter months, big fleecy PJs, socks and a huge dressing grown. I look like a throw back from the 70's (my husband must count his blessings !!! )
Too right!! It's an upside down world when you have to put MORE clothes on to go to bed.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Too right!! It's an upside down world when you have to put MORE clothes on to go to bed.
I don't believe you guys... Must be joking ....You don't wear too many thick layers when you go to bed, do you? because it IS extremly uncomfortable to sleep.

I still don't have a proper heater. except a very old small electric radiator (not warm enough). probably won't buy new one as long as the old one works fine... though its so crap. even that - I use it in my study room Not in my bedroom - why would you use a heater in your bedroom? Its SO BAD for you. well I live like that. maybe occasionally use electric blanket on cold nights but I don't wear too many clothes when I go to bed. my current rental house is incredibly damp, EXTREMLY FREEZing and no much sun (I live in CBD apt - crap!!), but I just wear cotton thermal long sleeves underwear when I go to bed. thats it. all in all its not too cold in bed!!! You guys made me chuckle.

don't wanna spend money on heating/furniture things. nz houses are so disgusting. I miss my warm cozy apartment in Edinburgh.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 5th 2010 at 9:26 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I don't believe you guys... Must be joking ....You don't wear too many thick layers when you go to bed, do you? because it IS extremly uncomfortable to sleep.
Nah, that get up is just for getting to the bedroom. Really my preference would be nowt but a light cotton sheet as I can't bear to be constricted or have heavy blankets on me; a warm bed with electric blankets drives me insane. I do however leave the jamas on in winter and have a hot water bottle plus a fleecy blanket on top of the duvet. I have the socks, slippers and dressing gown to hand beside the bed so I can put them back on before actually getting out of bed.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I regularly sleep with my dressing gown on in Winter (never did in UK) and I have what passes for a 'centrally heated' house in Kiwi terms...zero insulation though.

Crap Coffee - dampness is far worse for your health than heat - a dehumidifier and a decent plug-in heater rather than the clapped out one you describe, would make life much more comfortable I'm sure but I'm sure I said the same winter before last.

Like Genesis I swear by dehumidifers although I only have two.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

why don't people put in central heating when they buy there own house,is it really expensive to put in and run in NZ? We pay about £80 a month for Gas and £60 a month for electricity in UK is it about that in NZ too?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:03 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
why don't people put in central heating when they buy there own house,is it really expensive to put in and run in NZ? We pay about £80 a month for Gas and £60 a month for electricity in UK is it about that in NZ too?
I wish it was! Some friends put in gas central heating in their 3 bedroom 2 storey house and the first month's gas bill was over $600.

It's pretty expensive to put in but worth it in the long run I think.
The problem is most kiwi homes have minimal insulation, so the heat disappears. We spent about $50k on our house insulating it and double glazing it, and installing a wood burner and we still can't heat the whole house!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:29 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aalls73
May i suggest you move outside during the winter because if it was anything like our old rented house last winter it'll be warmer to sleep outside lol......
Just the same for use!! but we now have a home that has a gas fire, under tile heating, two heatpumps, and may have to stay cold this year as last year we had bill over $600.00 per month:curse::curse: but we was nice and warm. I am getting cold now and him in doors says go down to the garden shed to get a custom
Need to get out the warmer togs and the flannelet sheets quite soon....
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Hazey will become famous soon enoughHazey will become famous soon enough

My friend brought one of those adult all in one sleep suits from the Warehouse, I went along and stood in front of them but I just couldn't buy it ! How unsexy would I look looking liked an over sized baby Ahhh I have fond memories of central heating and double glazing in the UK. I just hope my toilet seat is warmer this year, god thats just plain evil to seat on !!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:34 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

we have had LPG central heating for 2 winters now...it was the best move we ever made. We heat the whole house (including toilet) + rinnai hot water boiler in Dunedin for $300 a month during June/July/August. We have only modest insulation, one double glazed window and keep the house at 19.5 degrees. If you can justify the initial outlay then it is a no brainer. As we heat our water with gas and heat the whole house (not just the rooms we are in), our electric bill is sod all to boot.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SLH
. As we heat our water with gas and heat the whole house (not just the rooms we are in), our electric bill is sod all to boot.
So what is your electric bill then out of interest?

I'm also interested to know what your $$ outlay was if you don;t mind spilling those toasty beans.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:46 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SLH
we have had LPG central heating for 2 winters now...it was the best move we ever made. We heat the whole house (including toilet) + rinnai hot water boiler in Dunedin for $300 a month during June/July/August. We have only modest insulation, one double glazed window and keep the house at 19.5 degrees. If you can justify the initial outlay then it is a no brainer. As we heat our water with gas and heat the whole house (not just the rooms we are in), our electric bill is sod all to boot.
Hi would you like lots of visitors .....oh central heating
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We are really happy with the new Daiken heatpumps we have a large one in the main room and small in the bedroom they work great, Anybody know what they cost to run ?
Had to light the fire for the first time tonight aswell

Neil
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

For some reason this form of heating is not common in NZ. I've never seen LPG central heating advertised, but the price seems OK. I hate heat pumps, but they do heat the house quickly. I'd just hate to have them on all the time.

I live in a 100 year old wooden house. We insulated walls and ceiling when we moved in and recently took out the water tank and installed gas water heating. That costs about $90 per month for 5 people. We have one double-glazed ranchslider. Since we installed a new wood burner and a ceiling fan, we haven't needed to use any heating in the bedrooms, as long as we close the curtains at about 6 pm and leave the bedroom doors open. I agree with whoever said they couldn't sleep in a hot bedroom. Mine is warm enough with no heating other than an open door to let the heat from the lounge in. I do use an electric blanket in the middle of winter, but wear silky jamas and a singlet top throughout winter.
Those big baby suits from the Warehouse are very popular with teens. My 19yo son and his friends wear them when they go drinking at friends houses in winter. They light a fire or brazier outside, don their baby suits, drink and play twister!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.