Heating

Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Paul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nice
Default Heating

Hi There

Can anyone clear up this heating issue.I have been informed that there is no central heating in the houses.Are they insulated?How does the average kiwi heat their house in the winter months???

Cheers

Paul:curse:
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating

Originally Posted by Paul35
Hi There

Can anyone clear up this heating issue.I have been informed that there is no central heating in the houses.Are they insulated?How does the average kiwi heat their house in the winter months???

Cheers

Paul:curse:
They don't!! They move the TV into Mums and Dads bedroom and sit under the duvet!!

Modern houses are insulated, and double glazed (Modern means less than 5 y-o).

Central heating is coming but its expensive to install and to run. Heat pumps are reasonably cheap to install and run, but you never feel as warm as you did with central heating.

You'll have to learn to 'harden up' ha ha!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Electric blankets, gas heaters, plug in heaters, bobble hats and socks in bed, hot water bottles - get the picture!
On some days this winter it was colder inside our house than it was outside! Oh and don't forget the condensation!

we got a quote for central heating - $12000
Also not all the new houses have heating / insulation / double glazing although I did read somwehere that it is now compulsory for new houses in a certain part of the South Island?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a plumber would make a killing out there then.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Paul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nice

Originally Posted by donnaf
Electric blankets, gas heaters, plug in heaters, bobble hats and socks in bed, hot water bottles - get the picture!
On some days this winter it was colder inside our house than it was outside! Oh and don't forget the condensation!

Also not all the new houses have heating / insulation / double glazing although I did read somwehere that it is now compulsory for new houses in a certain part of the South Island?
We wil be in Palmeston North as i am transfering over to the NZ Army dont think we get a particularly new house so i guess we'd better start knitting
Cheers Paul:curse:
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
You'd think so wouldn't you? But its only the Brits that want central heating, and when they realise how costly it is they think again, and stick to the heat pumps and the wood burners and the double duvets, its the Kiwi way....
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul, we have bought an older house here. Its true it really is warmer outside the houses in winter than inside! Our house had no insulation so first thing we did was put loft insulation in.

We had an open fire all this winter but they dont kick out much heat. We had oil filled radiators in the bedrooms but they cost an arm and a leg to run.

So a couple of months ago we had Central Heating installed. We managed to find a company in Auckland who were willing to import the bits and then install it for us. Most of the parts came from Italy and we waited several months but it finally arrived. One of their plumbers had worked in London for a few years putting in CH there. They have never put it into a house here before but hoping to do more now.

It works really well, in fact its just come on about half hour ago. Its great! ... PM me if you want to know how much it cost us.

HTH just a little bit.

SarahB
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

We are building in Rangiora. We are having two heat pumps installed and will also have a gas fireplace, which to me is more an asthetic than a heating source, though it is rated 8.5kw.

Anyway, we looked at fujitsu fully ducted system. The unit was quoted at something like $4500. the installation cost was about $10,000. I laughed in scrorn as I don't have a big L on my forehead. I swear, how can they justify that cost. It is only flexihose and some wireing for heaven's sake. I don't think at that price it is justifiable to install. The house will be fully insulated with extra thick insulation and with modern windows. We should be fine.

What I think is equally valuable is screens on windows. Not only do NZ'ers think they live in a place that is warmer than it is, but they are also under the impression that there are not flies or bugs.

I think it is funny to see the commercials on TV for all the different bug sprays and delivery systems for same. I killed flies by the score each day all summer long. Almost like living in AUS.

Why do I always get so off topic. I must need more social outlets.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wessa
Erm . Nope. Not that easy , sadly for us.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

When I first came here I found it strange when watching people being interviewed on the news that they would come to their door with jackets, scarves and hats on. After a few weeks here, I understood. Essentials to get when you arrive are hot water bottles and a telly in the bedroom. Put the hotties in an hour before going to bed, retire to watch TV or read in bed. Saves money and prevents chills.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf

They are still building houses at a newish development called Churton Park (in between Porirua and Wellington) with no central heating, no insulation and no double glazing but you can of course opt to have it put in on the new builds - a friend of mine did.

I was amazed when I first arrived at seeing fan heaters on, in New Zealand's supposedly posh department store 'Kirkcaldie and Stains'.

I managed to find a rental with warm air heating through most of the house..it works really well, is expensive to run - 2 of the rooms don't get the benefit so we have plug in heaters in those. I'd be dead miserable in winter if my whole house were as cold as those two rooms.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

We once rented a house which said it had 'central heating' - this comprised a heater in the hallway with a fan above it. I kid you not!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:42 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
We once rented a house which said it had 'central heating' - this comprised a heater in the hallway with a fan above it. I kid you not!
Our house is now on the market and the estate agent's blurb reckons it has central heating. It has a Domestic Ventilation System, which will heat a little bit once the roof temperature falls below 15 degrees. It has a heat pump. It has a heated towel rail and a fan heater in the bathroom. It has a wall mounted electric radiator in the hall. None of these to my mind make up central heating
Hell, if it helps sell it, I'll agree with them
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: Heating

Should i invest in a couple of these before i go????
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/selk-bags/index.html

Last edited by Here comes the sun; Oct 24th 2007 at 2:06 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Definitely, a must for watching telly in the lounge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.