Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

heat transfer kits

heat transfer kits

Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default heat transfer kits

I have just installed a new heat transfer kit to pipe air to the bedrooms. Switched it on for the first time tonight and it smells funny. A bit like burning plastic. I climbed into the loft and checked everything. All is fine nothing getting warm or anything like that. After all its only an electric fan and pipe work. So I have turned it off because I have two babies. I have put it down to it being brand new and its settling in. I will run it tomorrow in the day time when I can open all the windows and see what happens.

Has any of you guys experienced the same thing with a new heat transfer system or is mine just dodgy? Because if the fumes continue its not really any good.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:55 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heat transfer kits

Nothing like that from ours.
It must either be faulty, or it's just that "new electrics/plastic" smell and it'll go away.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:28 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heat transfer kits

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Nothing like that from ours.
It must either be faulty, or it's just that "new electrics/plastic" smell and it'll go away.
Rob Clubley, that would be an 'er NO' type of situation and Lizzard I shall assume that this has been fitted by an electrician, if not tested by an inspector, 'cos if so there shouldn't be a problem, ring them up and get them back to check it out.

the smell of burning and newly installed electric's are NOT, repeat, N O T a good sign. Unless of course your house is well insured and you want a new one.

If you've done your own electrical work, well DON'T. 4 years apprenticeship and 25+ experience and I am always amazed that someone thinks they can learn and do as much as me in a weekend!!!!:curse:

Last point this work would have come under prescribed electrical work and a CoC would have been issued. Any problems, like say a FIRE, and no CoC the insurance have every right to refuse to pay out - ok