British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   heat pump (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/heat-pump-443309/)

karonious Apr 19th 2007 7:47 am

heat pump

I lied.
I said we would brave a winter here and see how it went without rushing around fitting any kind of heating. Well, people have lived in this house for the past 30 odd years and managed OK haven't they?
I DON'T CARE!
In about 11 days time we are having a heat pump fitted. Sod sitting here freezing just to see how bad it gets. Not that it has been realy cold yet, I just know it will tick me off imensely. I promise not to moan about the electricity bill - just fit that pump!

danny.f Apr 19th 2007 10:00 am

Re: heat pump

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4665713)
I lied.
I said we would brave a winter here and see how it went without rushing around fitting any kind of heating. Well, people have lived in this house for the past 30 odd years and managed OK haven't they?
I DON'T CARE!
In about 11 days time we are having a heat pump fitted. Sod sitting here freezing just to see how bad it gets. Not that it has been realy cold yet, I just know it will tick me off imensely. I promise not to moan about the electricity bill - just fit that pump!

Agree darling. $3500 for a heat pump, $6000 FOR HEAT AND VENTILATION,don't care-I'll sell Donna.

cherry Apr 19th 2007 10:45 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4666222)
Agree darling. $3500 for a heat pump, $6000 FOR HEAT AND VENTILATION,don't care-I'll sell Donna.

How much BRO`:rofl:

karonious Apr 19th 2007 11:09 am

$2600 for our little house and we already have a Domestic Ventilation System in place so that ought to take care of humidity. Just grant me the overtime to pay the bills and all will be good! We found it incredibly hot in the living area over the summer and I have been know to say 'there is no such thing as too hot' so a heat pump ought to cool in summer and heat in winter - bills for both unfortunately! :thumbdown:

Apple Tree Apr 19th 2007 6:27 pm

I lied.
I DON'T CARE!

Worth EVERY cent, winter & summer!!! No messing with wood, cleaning, and fires dont help in the summer!!

you using aircool??

karonious Apr 19th 2007 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Apple Tree (Post 4668472)
Worth EVERY cent, winter & summer!!! No messing with wood, cleaning, and fires dont help in the summer!!

you using aircool??

Same as yours my cherub :thumbup:

donnaf Apr 20th 2007 3:01 am

Honey, i'll sell myself if we can have heat.

Karonious,
we agreed with you - brave one winter and see how it goes - well bugger that for a game of soldiers. Its Autumn and my feet are cold, Danny's on nights next week so no resident hot water bottle, but I do think we need to shop around a bit first!

lapsed kiwi Apr 20th 2007 4:39 am

I lied.
I DON'T CARE!

You sound just like us last year. I said we'd tough out one winter and see what to get for the next. It gets to mid June, we're peed off with being cold despite loads of oil-filled heaters, and get three heat pumps fitted. That cues the end of the cold spell. Still, they're great bits of kit, don't seem to use too much juice and when it gets really hot you can cool the room down too. Ours came in at just less than $7k for three of the smallest but latest model inverter types, fully fitted.

Andrew Cross Apr 20th 2007 5:48 am

I lied.
I DON'T CARE!

Same here. Just moved into a house that only had one night storage heater in the hallway. Just been to placemakers and ordered mine..toasty warm now all winter I hope...:thumbsup:

Lenmil Apr 20th 2007 7:05 am

We suffered a winter in an old rented house in Christchurch. Once the wood runs out you freeze. I remeber waking up one moring and the tips of my ears hurt. I thought i had fallen asleep with my glasses on. Nope, it was that cold in the room. Now as i kid i grew up in a house with no central heating and in winter the windows iced on the inside. It was colder than NZ was but the house was better at insulation. If we get back the house we end up with will be double glazed and insulated with different heating options. I did enjoy chopping firewood at first, untill it rained a lot and we had damp wood to try and light. Still it just shows you how much we now depend on modern living and how much energy we all use. Funny thing is one morning we got leaflet through the door from the government telling you that if you sleep in a damp and cold bedroom you will suffer ill health. How right there are.

ezzkazz Apr 20th 2007 12:13 pm

Not being in NZ yet, how cold does it get on average during the evening and night during winter? and what months are the worst?

karonious Apr 20th 2007 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ezzkazz (Post 4672285)
Not being in NZ yet, how cold does it get on average during the evening and night during winter? and what months are the worst?

I can only tell you what I have been told for Hamilton. We arrived In October so not yet been through a winter here.
No snow in Hamilton since 1960 - that gets MY vote every time!
Apparently, there were only about 4 - 5 frosts here last winter. BUT, it gets foggy on a regular basis throughout the winter months. Gets down to - 2 but no further, frost usually burnt off by about 10am. Loads of rain and fog, fog and rain! Maybe milder than other places but FOGGIER! and therefore damper. :(
April through until Sept - Oct are autumn and winter here

lapsed kiwi Apr 20th 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ezzkazz (Post 4672285)

The coldest we had in Auckland last winter was overnight low of +2. Typically it's probably around +5 to +10. I found our house (which is reasonably new and well insulated from build, as all new houses are) maintained around +5 degrees warmer by the early morning with no heating on overnight (except for small heaters in kids' bedrooms).

TeamEmbo Apr 20th 2007 10:02 pm

Sorry for being thick :unsure: :o What's a heat pump, why do you need more than one and how do they work? :blink: