Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Healthcare information

Healthcare information

Old May 6th 2007, 10:08 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough
Default Healthcare information

It struck me the other day that the one thing we found difficult to understand about NZ was the healthcare system, how useful it would've been to have had a really good guide on how to access it properly.

For instance, my son had an injury at school not long after we arrived on the North Shore, rather than take him to casualty at the hospital (which would have been free I found out later) I took him up to a private provider Shore Care, no waiting to be seen, he received excellent care and was stitched up for $40.

In the UK the first port of call for any medical issue is your GP but it can be different here: the GP can be circumvented in some cases. eg. I injured my knee ice skating and limped off to the doctors who told me to get some physio under ACC (again at ShoreCare) had 5 sessions free with no months long waiting list either! The physio said next time you get an injury just come here, there's no need to go to your doctor.

If you have health care insurance and want a 'suspect' mole removed you can go straight to a private clinic and get it done, the insurer pays them direct and again there is no need to go via the GP - unless you want him/her to recommend a surgeon to you or don't have insurance.

Now don't take this as being the case for all parts of NZ, it could be different elsewhere.

Just thought it would be useful for newbies to hear about the differences between NZ healthcare (which has been pretty darned good in my experience) and somewhere like the UK, hopefully other posters can add some more to this.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:15 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare information

A&E was good enough for me when my son fell through a glass door and also for when he fractured his ankle during rugby practice.
The healthcare here wasn't so good when I had a lump on my eye but I operated on myself in the end!
Thought you were in Canada Toots, did it not work out?

Last edited by sky; May 6th 2007 at 10:23 am.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:31 pm
Clear sighted member

Sorry to hear about your son's accidents, the fall through the glass door sounds particularly horrific! poor boy, hope he made a full recovery.

The school just told me to take my lad up to Shore Care and get him stitched up, I didn't even know that it was private until I was given the bill ! I'm sure the service at the hospital would've been every bit as good (I didn't know where it was anyway) I was just grateful to get medical attention for him at the time, as you were for your son probably?

This is what I mean though about newbies not knowing how to access the system properly. I never had to use an ambulance but I think there is a charge for it if you do, some people take out small policy to cover this.

Just thought some people would find this helpful.

p.s. operated on your own eye? ouch that sounds painful, at least you knew how to sterilise your stuff properly.

Last edited by tootsie; May 6th 2007 at 11:35 pm.
Old May 7th 2007, 2:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Tootsie this is a great idea for a thread particularly as we're just trying to decide what healthcare cover to take!!!!
Old May 7th 2007, 2:30 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootsie
It struck me the other day that the one thing we found difficult to understand about NZ was the healthcare system, how useful it would've been to have had a really good guide on how to access it properly.

For instance, my son had an injury at school not long after we arrived on the North Shore, rather than take him to casualty at the hospital (which would have been free I found out later) I took him up to a private provider Shore Care, no waiting to be seen, he received excellent care and was stitched up for $40.

In the UK the first port of call for any medical issue is your GP but it can be different here: the GP can be circumvented in some cases. eg. I injured my knee ice skating and limped off to the doctors who told me to get some physio under ACC (again at ShoreCare) had 5 sessions free with no months long waiting list either! The physio said next time you get an injury just come here, there's no need to go to your doctor.

If you have health care insurance and want a 'suspect' mole removed you can go straight to a private clinic and get it done, the insurer pays them direct and again there is no need to go via the GP - unless you want him/her to recommend a surgeon to you or don't have insurance.

Now don't take this as being the case for all parts of NZ, it could be different elsewhere.

Just thought it would be useful for newbies to hear about the differences between NZ healthcare (which has been pretty darned good in my experience) and somewhere like the UK, hopefully other posters can add some more to this.
Thats' great info, why not add it to the wiki. We added the wiki to the site so that members could contribute just this type of info. The sort of stuff that only an expat could share with other expats .... does that make sense? I'm not doing too well with my thought processes today lol
Old May 7th 2007, 7:25 am
Clear sighted member

Great idea Sue, I'll do it now.