Health & Safety

Old May 18th 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently in South Wales hoping to make the leap to BOP.
Cheryl Bell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health & Safety

Can anyone recommend some recruitment agencies which have H&S jobs advertised? My husband has completed a full 22 year military career and he is looking at picking up a job within the H&S field. He has registered with EdenFX and also has his CV on SEEK.
Any info would be gratefully recieved. Thanks in advance!
Old May 19th 2014, 7:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health & Safety

Health & Safety in NZ does not compute

Anyway would not bother with recruitment agencies, personal experience complete waste of time and energy unless you are in the country and then not that much cop either.

Just check out Seek.co.nz and jobs section on trademe
Old May 19th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Haha MrsF I agree in a nice way.

My first fire training in NZ was in a hospital carpark complete with petrol, controlled gas and electric fires. The flames got pretty high, best fire training I ever had.
Old May 21st 2014, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Mountainbikers is an unknown quantity at this point

Laura believe me there is plenty of work here I H&S. My partner and I have arrived in January 2014 and both found work. Has your husband read what's happening here with the new Worksafe NZ government department set up following pike river? A new H&S S law is currently going through parliament which will make radical changes (which include fines and prison sentences) very much similar to uk. Tell your husband to checkout WorksafeNz they have some jobs advertised on their website
Old May 21st 2014, 11:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

But its not H&S as you know it (as MrsFychan said). Even with the recent changes. More like "she'll be right" than pack-of-six (as we used to call it).

Yeah they are recruiting, but you have to sell yourself quite well to get in with Labour Dept or whatever they are called at the moment Years ago I went from having no reply for an application for inspector's job to advising them on incidents and preparing to attend court as their expert in the field on a very high profile job (as a private contractor).

There isn't a massive amount of industry here that's not related to the rural sectors and food. Lots of small companies and most of the big stuff is run from offshore. So there are small EH&S departments/groups and often people double/triple up with other roles.

Off to wellington next month to educate my peers on how to do our investigation work in a (remotely) safe manner, trying to bring them up to speed with the procedures a committee I sat on devised in the UK 10 years ago (and have become standards in the industry in Europe for the past 6 years). Talking to the odd deligate it seems that they don't know what hazard identification and risk assessment entails so you may need to wish me luck
Old May 24th 2014, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently in South Wales hoping to make the leap to BOP.
Cheryl Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.
Hi Mountainbiker! Did you guys have firm job offers before you left? Did you have visas in place first? Its a bit 'chicken and egg' not to mention confusing!!?
My husband has joined the NZISM which we hope will get a few brownie points! He is also willing to travel over to have face to face interviews if need be! We were looking at recruitment agencies as we thought this would be a good in-road and they could maybe set up a bank of interviews for him whilst he's in country. Would this be a good start? Or should we just be applying for jobs through employers websites?