Reload this Page >

Health Requirements for Visa for wife & son

Health Requirements for Visa for wife & son

Old Jul 28th 2019, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

cd44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Requirements for Visa for wife & son

Hi all.

Been researching a lot on a couple of different health requirements to satisfy INZ.

The first is in regards to my wife. She is deaf and wears one hearing aid. From what I can determine from the ops manual, she falls within the 71 - 90 decibels of hearing loss as she is around the mid 80's mark.

We can firmly say she won't cost the NZ health system more money than anyone else does, as we will have to pay for a new hearing aid if her's breaks and we're fully aware of this. However, I can't find a clear answer - and maybe there isn't one - so we are worried her visa may be rejected.
Initially I will be applying for a work to residence visa, then after two years applying for a permanent visa. So what we don't want to happen is she gets approved for the initial visa (partner of a worker work visa) but then gets rejected when we come to apply for a permanent visa. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

The second is regarding my son. He is 4 and has a Social Communication Disorder, which is separate from Autism (ASD) and doesn't require as much support. He is starting school in September and will not have one to one support, it is basically a general classroom teaching assistant that is there for everyone, but will probably focus their attention on my son, but only if he needs the extra support. Most of the time he will be fine. From researching this I have found nothing about Social Communication Disorder in NZ as it may not be recognised there.

I'm not sure what evidence INZ would require regarding this condition, i.e professional evidence, school reports etc.

Autism (ASD) is one of the conditions that could mean someone is rejected a visa, although it does state 'severe' quite a lot and my sons needs are definitely not severe.

Like I mentioned earlier it isn't classed as autism so I'm not sure what their views on it will be, or even if it's worth mentioning at all?

Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Requirements for Visa for wife & son

The fact that there is a health issue will most certainly cause the medical report to be referred to a Medical Assessor. This is because Immigration do not have any medical jurisdiction and cannot legally decline or force conditions on any visa on the basis of health matters UNLESS advised by an approved Medical Assessor first. The MA's task is to review the medical report, determine a prognosis and calculate the cost of any consultations/treatment/surgery/meds etc that they believe she may require for the period of her visa stay in NZ which could be 2, 3, 5 years or if a Resident Visa it could be until she is of retirement age...unsure how many years they calculate for if the person may stay here permanently because (obviously) the more years they add the higher the $ cost will be ?
If the $ cost of that calculation is over the threshold which was $44k I think, the MA will probably recommend a decline on the grounds that she does not meet an acceptable standard of health.
You cannot state she won't cost the NZ Health System anything. She cannot opt out of the NZ Health System care. You cannot declare to use private health insurance/care only. As a visa holder of at least 2 years duration and if living in NZ she would be entitled to the care so it all has to go in to the calculation whether you use it or not.....it is about having the entitlement to it, not specifically that she will use it.
You need to be ready to pick your way through the MA's report and respond if you don't agree, BUT the response must be from someone of a similar or higher medical capacity than the MA or Immigration will just ignore it.......been there and got the T shirt!
It is likely your option will be to go for a medical waiver instead of arguing the toss with Immigration and what the MA has determined.

Again, on a similar note the same will probably occur for your son. Any medical report outside of thresholds will cause it to be referred to an MA and again its all about the $ cost to the NZ health system.

I'm not sure whether the $44k is per individual or combined for all persons on the application.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 7:22 am
Just Joined

cd44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thank you for your reply.

So am I right in saying there’s a possibility it could get rejected for the 2 year work to residence visa as well as a permanent residency visa? I wasn’t sure initially whether it could only be rejected on a PR visa.

My worry was that we’d sell up and move to NZ for the initial work to residence visa, then when we went for the PR visa it may be rejected, so really we would need to know from the start.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cd44 View Post
Hi, thank you for your reply.

So am I right in saying there’s a possibility it could get rejected for the 2 year work to residence visa as well as a permanent residency visa? I wasn’t sure initially whether it could only be rejected on a PR visa.

My worry was that we’d sell up and move to NZ for the initial work to residence visa, then when we went for the PR visa it may be rejected, so really we would need to know from the start.
Unfortunately yes it could. All depends what the MA considers as prognosis over the period of the visa and taking in to account that if the person is here on a visa that has a duration minimum 2 years then they are in effect classed as permanent and as such eligible for ACC subsidized care and all the other benefits just as if they were here on a resident visa or PR or a citizen.
it is all about the likely dollar cost to the NZ Health System and protecting the interest of Kiwis and others already here that have access to the system.

Yes it is possible that approval for RV will be difficult. We also expected health issues to trip us up (which they did) so we employed an immigration consultant to assist. May be advisable to go the same route. Costly but may just get you through.