Health Problems

Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Dawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the rough
Default Health Problems

Hi
Can anyone help with info on how your health effects your visa.Our friends sister is looking into coming over to NZ but has osteoarthritis in her neck and had a spinal fusion 11 years ago I know she does take pain killers but a very small dose now and then.We would be grateful for any info on this one as they don`t want to get there hopes up only to be turned down.She is not in a wheelchair and doesn`t use sticks and is able to work part-time.
Thanks guys
Dawn
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Health Problems

I'll post up my thoughts but hopefully someone who has better experience will come along and give a better reply.

The problem she may face is convincing NZIS that her condition will not be a 'burden' to the NZ health system.
If she tries an application, I would imagine that she will be asked to supply consultants notes and could well be referred to an NZIS consultant for medical assessment.

SECTION 4 - HEALTH REQUIREMENTS of the NZIS OPERATIONS MANUAL
may be of some help.

I see this in Appendix 10, but don't ask me if it means the condition is acceptable or not. It is mentioned though.

Appendix 10 - Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or...

Appendix 10 - Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or education services

In This Chapter

Medical conditions

* HIV infection
* Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
* Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
* Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment

Exceptions are:

1. treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
2. malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years

* Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
* Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
* Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
* Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimer's and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
* Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
* Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
* Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
* Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone
* In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
* In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
* In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Dawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your time and help in getting the gov page up.Hoprefully she should be ok but who knows will pass on info so far.
Thanks Dawn
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Karen2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really nice

Hi Dawn

Just a view of my own experience with my medical and the health side of things . I too was worried about the medical as I had a spinal cord injury 17 years ago , a long time I know but the burden on the health system at the time was obviously massive . My injury was the result of a virus and not an accident so that was a concern , I have recovered well but it has taken years and I still have weakness in my left side and areas where sensation has been affected .
My medical ,done in NZ was ok and the doctor said do not worry , he had no concerns as I was now at a stage where I have had no treatment for many years . I had also worked in UK and in his opinion was perfectly able to work in NZ which he stated on the medical certificate . When I submitted my application I had no queries on the medical side at all . So, I think if the condition is stable and you can show that you have worked and will make a contribution in NZ she might be ok . But , I suppose each case if different ,however I just wanted to say that personally my worries were for nothing and I now have PR approved .

Good luck and hope all goes well
Karen