Reload this Page >

Health insurance if not working

Health insurance if not working

Old Jul 31st 2017, 9:23 am
Just Joined

KarinaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance if not working

Hi,
My boyfriend and I are moving from London to Christchurch in September. He has accepted a civil engineering job offer and he starts working a few days after we arrive, so will have his health insurance sorted by his company straight away.

I am on a working holiday visa (we haven't lived together long enough for partner of a worker) and my job initially when we move out there will be to find us a home.

Then I'll look for work, but on a WH visa I can't accept permanent employment.

Does anyone have any recommendations of health insurance I should get? Do I need to get it? I know I'm going to miss the NHS!

Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance if not working

Uk and NZ hav a reciprocal health agreement but you still need travel insurance. Try True Traveller they are flexible with add ons and extensions when already travelling. Other than that Southern Cross NZ have a policy for visitors not sure what repatriation cover they provide and in any case policies are for emergency cover nothing routine but you should not be in NZ without any cover.

Last edited by PB65; Jul 31st 2017 at 5:23 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:33 am
Just Joined

brett.sargent is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you planning to move permanently or just for a year or two? I relocated from London to Auckland 9 months ago. I am from NZ and my wife is Russian and 2 children were born in Europe. Even though I am from NZ I felt like I had a lot to learn so PM me if you want some tips. One thing I would say is that exchange rates are shockingly bad for Brits and everything will feel expensive. If you are going to transfer money from UK use www.transferwise.com to save money. I'm in no way connected to the company but just found that I've saved a lot by using them. Take all your immigration processes seriously and don't underestimate anything. I got caught out by being a bit relaxed about the immigration processes for my wife and never again!! Insurance is pretty complicated in NZ with 1000's of different permutations. The same as UK! I deal with insurance and investment advice for a job so happy to help if I understand more about you. Southern Cross are one of the better companies to deal with for medical coverage. But you can always get better deals if you know all the permutations inside and out so get in touch if it is for you. Good luck with it all and let's both hope the GBP strengthens a little bit!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite possible your partners policy through work will cover all members of family living with him.....mine does.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Just beware of some of the fine print; you still need to have insurance as the reciprocal agreement only provides limited cover for urgent treatment for things that have arisen after arrival in NZ. You therefore should expect to be billed for any routine or non-urgent treatment and anything relating to pre-existing conditions.