British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Health Care NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/health-care-nz-598660/)

zoglet Mar 19th 2009 5:00 pm

Health Care NZ

Hi, Iv got my residency permit and am moving to NZ next month. :)

My question is, what do I do about health cover upon arrival? Am I automatically qualified for NZ care (should the need arise) or do I need to make a private arrangement through a qualifying period etc? If so, can anyone recomend companies/ how to proceed?

sparkie down under Mar 19th 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Health Care NZ

In a word, yeap.

But be aware every time you go to the docs, unlike home, it's hand in your pocket time. in other words you pay for EVERYTHING.

Have an accident and ACC cover you, (like NHS), so hospital cover, rehab all sorted through ACC. Mind you it's always the cheapest option with ACC. So want to get better, quicker - have medical insurance.

Southern Cross are the biggest, (I think).

We are with them and last Jan my better half had an accident. In all honesty ACC have been good to her and the major medical treatment she received at Palmy hospital was top. Some of the ward staff need a lesion in who the customer is, and even some basic medical knowledge, but that's another story, but I can tell you it's urgently needed.

Have Southern Cross come to the party, (argh - i'm using a kiwisum), er NO. Not too happy about that and in a series of correspondence with them over it. As with everything in life READ THE SMALL PRINT.

So in short - don't be ill and poor. Be rich and ill, be poor and healthy, but don't be poor and ill.

jennifer45 Mar 20th 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7399000)

So in short - don't be ill and poor. Be rich and ill, be poor and healthy, but don't be poor and ill.

SH*T!!!!

sparkie down under Mar 20th 2009 8:51 pm

No - don't have the shits either!!!!!!:eek:

luvwelly Mar 20th 2009 11:01 pm

The main priority is to register with a local GP as soon as you get here. Look into private cover after that.
You have access to private hospitals for elective surgery in many areas I should expect (similar to UK BUPA) but in many areas the only A&E options available will be the public system.

It's similar to NHS (maybe with longer waiting lists sometimes) with the exception that you have to pay each time you visit your GP - plus of this is that you can nearly always get a same day appt lol!

Black Sheep Mar 21st 2009 11:41 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7399000)
I

Southern Cross are the biggest, (I think).

We are with them and last Jan my better half had an accident. In all honesty ACC have been good to her and the major medical treatment she received at Palmy hospital was top. Some of the ward staff need a lesion in who the customer is, and even some basic medical knowledge, but that's another story, but I can tell you it's urgently needed.

Have Southern Cross come to the party, (argh - i'm using a kiwisum), er NO. Not too happy about that and in a series of correspondence with them over it. As with everything in life READ THE SMALL PRINT.

sparkie down under - not sure I get you on this? Has ACC not covered all costs? What exactly has Southern Cross not 'come to the party' on? What part of the care should they be paying for that is not covered by ACC?

Also a bit confused about the treatment your wife got, you say it was 'top' (presumably good?), yet you also say: "Some of the ward staff need a lesion in who the customer is, and even some basic medical knowledge, but that's another story, but I can tell you it's urgently needed". I'd love to hear this explained, so can you tell the 'another story' bit please! I've heard some, er, shall we say worrisome stories about hospital care in Chch, and 'customer care' and 'medical knowledge' were amongst the 'worrisome' things mentioned! :eek:

sparkie down under Mar 21st 2009 7:51 pm

let me expand a little (without divulging too much medical info on the better half).

She has accident. Major break to major bone.

Due to remoteness helicoptered out. Local ambulance bods very nice, but basically all they can do is the tea and sympathy and get you off to hospital.

In hospital in A&E and within 3 hours sorted - admitted - plastered - seen consultant. How good is that?

Unknown to us B.H. has reaction to morphine. (basically too much kills her - I know it does for everyone but her lethal dose is smaller than the average dose).

Nurse on afternoon duty doesn't notice ! How bad is that? Nurse taking over did ! How good is that. Lots of people running and heaps over "get out of the way please sir" and B.H. rejoins the land of the living.

Operation for break a very long and difficult one and the result was superb.

B.H. feels like shit for days after. Some nursing staff help her drink and wait patiently as she sups water. (good), others put the water on the bedside table where she can't reach and leave (bad)

That in a nutshell was the hospital.

For Southern Cross. We pay $180 each month for cover. I ring them up and tell them B.H. is in hospital. First question is. "was it and accident", "er, yes", "well ACC will cover it then - bye". Which is fair enough, BUT when we had medical insurance back home, spend a night in hospital and you had a payment. Need anything to speed the getting home process along and you had it.

Now she's home and in need of daily re-hab, Southern Cross won't help. ACC have loaned her heaps of stuff, but won't pay for gym or pool membership, which she needs daily.

So there we are.

ACC come in for a heap of shit and I think most of it is undeserved. The medical profession here has some great people and some real lazy, can't get off their arse, scumbags
hope this tale has helped??

kiwiwoodpecker Mar 21st 2009 8:27 pm

This is all interesting stuff on healthcare. So i take it from here that its best to get registered with a gp as soon as you arrive then, but how much roughly in $ are you looking at for a visit to the doc for a checkup and some antibiotics?
My oh has a prescription exemption certificate in the uk as she takes 5 long term permanent prescription medications and we are wondering how she will go on in nz? Does nz have such a thing or will she have to pay for all the drugs!!!!:unsure:

jennifer45 Mar 21st 2009 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7404868)
let me expand a little (without divulging too much medical info on the better half).

She has accident. Major break to major bone.

Due to remoteness helicoptered out. Local ambulance bods very nice, but basically all they can do is the tea and sympathy and get you off to hospital.

In hospital in A&E and within 3 hours sorted - admitted - plastered - seen consultant. How good is that?

Unknown to us B.H. has reaction to morphine. (basically too much kills her - I know it does for everyone but her lethal dose is smaller than the average dose).

Nurse on afternoon duty doesn't notice ! How bad is that? Nurse taking over did ! How good is that. Lots of people running and heaps over "get out of the way please sir" and B.H. rejoins the land of the living.

Operation for break a very long and difficult one and the result was superb.

B.H. feels like shit for days after. Some nursing staff help her drink and wait patiently as she sups water. (good), others put the water on the bedside table where she can't reach and leave (bad)

That in a nutshell was the hospital.

For Southern Cross. We pay $180 each month for cover. I ring them up and tell them B.H. is in hospital. First question is. "was it and accident", "er, yes", "well ACC will cover it then - bye". Which is fair enough, BUT when we had medical insurance back home, spend a night in hospital and you had a payment. Need anything to speed the getting home process along and you had it.

Now she's home and in need of daily re-hab, Southern Cross won't help. ACC have loaned her heaps of stuff, but won't pay for gym or pool membership, which she needs daily.

So there we are.

ACC come in for a heap of shit and I think most of it is undeserved. The medical profession here has some great people and some real lazy, can't get off their arse, scumbags
hope this tale has helped??

:ohmy:
I really hope she is on the mend.
I can't figure the Southern Cross stance on this.
What the blazes do they providefor the money they get?

If they won't get involved in any treatment or after care reslting from an 'accident', then this should be made clear from the outset!:frown:
ACC should ten provide the rehabilitation care required , if so advised!:confused:
I'd heard such good things about NZ h3ealth services.
Must go- son's SKYPING me!

sparkie down under Mar 21st 2009 10:20 pm

I totally agree - like I said READ THE SMALL PRINT
preferably before you have an accident not after - like I did

luvwelly Mar 21st 2009 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7405183)
I totally agree - like I said READ THE SMALL PRINT
preferably before you have an accident not after - like I did

I'm not defending Southern Cross at all but this is a general principle in insurance that if you are double covered they won't both pay out. Here I am assuming it is slightly different in that Southern Cross can pitch it's premiums at a much lower level simply because if sth is covered by ACC they make you follow that route. Agree they should be upfront about it but it makes sense.

Compare what your UK BUPA premiums would be just for elective hospital care (GP free so BUPA don't cover it in UK presumably, abroad they do) ..I think I can guess which would be the best value and it won't be BUPA.

sparkie down under Mar 21st 2009 11:03 pm

I might have not explained myself clearly on one point. Back home our health insurance covered us for things like staying in hospital over night. We got something like £20 and that was to cover additional expenses in going to see loved one, babysitters, bunch of flowers - what ever. Southern Cross it seems don't subscribe to this 'level of care' and I took that as granted - mistake

jennifer45 Mar 22nd 2009 1:25 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7405289)
I might have not explained myself clearly on one point. Back home our health insurance covered us for things like staying in hospital over night. We got something like £20 and that was to cover additional expenses in going to see loved one, babysitters, bunch of flowers - what ever. Southern Cross it seems don't subscribe to this 'level of care' and I took that as granted - mistake

That wouldn't bother me.
Only need good medical care.
Last time hubby bought me flowers I'd just presented him with our second son.
Ain't planning on doing that in the near future!
So if SC can provide good health care at reasonable rates for treatment- other than accident, great. UK private health insurance companies are the biggest rip off merchants yet!

luvwelly Mar 22nd 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by jennifer45 (Post 7405504)
That wouldn't bother me.
Only need good medical care.
So if SC can provide good health care at reasonable rates for treatment- other than accident, great. UK private health insurance companies are the biggest rip off merchants yet!

Agree - it's much more in your interest for the premium to be affordable. As I understand it though both Southern Cross and BUPA are 'provident' institutions i.e. not making profit for shareholders..this has got to be better than the US model which is the worst i.m.v.

Never forget pre-existing conditions are the big downside of private medical insurance except in those countries (mainly EU ones) where Governments provide some protection against this preventing you from accessing further care once you have a condition.