Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Heads in a spin...

Heads in a spin...

Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Heads in a spin...

I wish someone would just say 'LIVE HERE' I think Ive done a virtual reccie of every english speaking country, city & town!

My husband is so laid back his input is 'has it got a hockey club?' and he's sold. I seem to have posted about moving to most places in NZ but time is ticking away and its 9 months til we move.

My sister moved to NZ a few years ago and when we first looked at emmigrating we thought about Aus, canada then NZ. I didnt want to land on her doorstep as she moved away from the UK for a new life and I didnt want to her to feel like we were following her, so we looked at the South island. This way we could see more of each other without getting in the way.

Now ive had the wobbles and i would like to live closer to her and she wants this as well (we do get on well honest!) Nelson seemed perfect but as usual something got in the way, lack of jobs. After speaking to my sister she has offered to provide childcare and help us settle and she actually wondered why we werent coming to Welly in the first place! Talk about crossed wires!!

There seem to be more choice of jobs in welly and ive emailed CV's so fingers crossed. My sister lives in Pukerua bay which seems quite far out from welly but transport links seem good and start early in the morning.

Any advice on suburbs and welly hospital welcome, this time I will not change my mind. Big thank you to everyone who has posted info on the countless places Ive asked about and i hope this explains a bit about why I wanted so much information plus im a very, very indecisive person!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Heads in a spin...

Bless both of your socks. You're right about Nelson being perfect but Windy Welly & the sister it is then . Needs must and all that. Welly is the best of the larger cities , IMHO . It will be lovely for both of you.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:07 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Welly is the best of the larger cities, IMHO.
Yup, Welly is nice. However, before you go learn how to parallel park during a hurricane on a street that is damn near vertical. Wellington bylaws require this skill.

Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:36 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Pukerua Bay seems a bit far out for some people. Not far enough out for others! Then again, a friend of mine lives there and she has said that she can feel her stress levels drop whenever she she heads home. If you wanted to live closer to your Sister but not quite at Pukerua Bay, then what about Plimmerton, Mana or Camborne? Plimmerton is lovely (though it can be pricier) and again, it is so relaxing being on the train along Porirua Harbour then continuing further out. Its really nice
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Yeah - get your butt out here and join the Porirua Posse!!! (now that's enough to put anyone off!!)
There are loads of nice places within an easy (less than an hour) drive of Wellington, and Pukerua Bay, so you would be able to get a job, live in a lovely area but be close enough to your sister without being in each others back yard!
It is, contrary to popular belief, NOT ALWAYS WINDY around here and the hills aren't that steep!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

I know there are lots of snobs out there who poo poo Hutt Valley - but it is lovely and depending on what you are looking at can suite some people. Welly is great if you like city/urban living, can afford higher rents/mortgages and want everything on your door step. I can not comment on the other side of the Haywards - Hill between the Hutt (SH2) and Poiriua (SH1).

We love silverstream/pinehaven - much easier to get a nice house for less mortgage - has direct rail links to Welly and easy access to high way. Plus it has a very community village feel with one of the top primary schools in the Hutt. - we are from a more rural village in the UK and are not city people at all.
Its a short drive to Upper Hutt for the shops/cinema/swimming pool etc.

Lower Hutt has a huge shopping centre - you see them coming up from welly and queuing back for KM's. It also has a big cinema, pool, usual amenities etc.
Petone is on the coast with easy access to Lower Hutt and to Wellington. There are also the hills - Normandale/Manguraki that are rabbit warren of housing with views of the bay.

There is also the Hutt city hospital (lower Hutt) as well as Wellington hospital for jobs.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:26 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Yeah - get your butt out here and join the Porirua Posse!!! (now that's enough to put anyone off!!)
There are loads of nice places within an easy (less than an hour) drive of Wellington, and Pukerua Bay, so you would be able to get a job, live in a lovely area but be close enough to your sister without being in each others back yard!
It is, contrary to popular belief, NOT ALWAYS WINDY around here and the hills aren't that steep!
Yes for once I agree that Porirua is probs the best location for you, but do you really want to live somewhere full of poms ??
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, join the Porirua posse, we're only 10 mins away from Pukerua Bay. I'm also a nurse, in fact there's a few in the area & a couple I know in P/bay.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Yes for once I agree that Porirua is probs the best location for you, but do you really want to live somewhere full of poms ??
There aren't that many of us here - just the noisy ones!!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: Heads in a spin...

Thanks guys I will check out those areas, just need a job now then i can sit back, relax and count down the days!