Reload this Page >

Heading out for interviews before move

Heading out for interviews before move

Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Noel and Rachel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heading out for interviews before move

Hi all

We have now had a few positive phone calls from potential employers in NZ, including an agency in Auckland and one in Palmerston North. I am thinking about possibly going out for a week at the end of April for interviews, and contacting a few more agencies before I go to try and arrange some face to face meetings.

I know for contract work this won't really help, but my thinking is it might help me to get something permanent lined up.

The only thing is it's a big gamble, it's costing about £500-600 for flights and it might not result in being any closer to having a job offer.

Has anyone done this and would they recommend it?

Thanks in advance!

Noel.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:11 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: Heading out for interviews before move

Originally Posted by Noel and Rachel
Hi all

We have now had a few positive phone calls from potential employers in NZ, including an agency in Auckland and one in Palmerston North. I am thinking about possibly going out for a week at the end of April for interviews, and contacting a few more agencies before I go to try and arrange some face to face meetings.

I know for contract work this won't really help, but my thinking is it might help me to get something permanent lined up.

The only thing is it's a big gamble, it's costing about £500-600 for flights and it might not result in being any closer to having a job offer.

Thanks in advance!

Noel.
All I can offer by way of advice, in case you dont know it already, is that employment agents are sharks the world over and take everything they say with a pinch of salt.... if you are planning on expending all that energy and money on the say-so of an agent alone, I would advise you dont do it. If you are getting bites from reputable organisations, and are willing to go to those lengths then what the heck - if I were hiring I would be impressed by the commitment so it might work in your favour as a nice by product

good luck

tt

Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:02 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks in advance!

Noel.
You may still get asked "when are you actually arriving permanently?".

What sort of work are you doing? are the interviews with agents or actual employers?

Have flown out myself twice. On both times got a job but needed to start that week. Consider this if they do offer you a position are you ready to forego the return trip and start straight away or within the month?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by thebears
You may still get asked "when are you actually arriving permanently?".

What sort of work are you doing? are the interviews with agents or actual employers?

Have flown out myself twice. On both times got a job but needed to start that week. Consider this if they do offer you a position are you ready to forego the return trip and start straight away or within the month?
This is exactly my experience both on and off shore - a quick start helps bag the job..... I hope!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:30 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks in advance!

Noel.
I'm a bit conservative in my thinking here. I have known of people to get jobs after a phone or phone/video conference setup type interview. Smaller organisations may not be able to provide the latter.

I'd be inclined to send a cv with a video clip (if you have that sort of technology) outlinging why you want the position and why you think you are the best candidate (qualifications, skills, experience, knowledge, references).

Then tell them that while you are serious about moving to nz you want a trial period/fixed contract, the terms of which can be negotiated as your commitment to relocate is serious but you are looking to find an employer who is equally commited to their staff as a positive working relationship is a two way street.

Personally I wouldn't fly half way around the world for any job interview. If you were in uk and flying to holland or germany, that's different.

Also do your research and make sure your quals, skills etc are in some demand.

Check these websites out:

www.worksite.govt.nz

www.stuff.co.nz

http://www.workingin.com/

Hope that helps
Old Mar 18th 2006, 7:38 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I flew out to NZ for a 3 week period before we emigratated. I set up interviews before I arrived and my 'goal' was to secure work before I left again. This I managed. It helped that I had a firm start date (2 months later) - so once work was secure I bought cars, secured rental etc etc before returning to blighty to pick up the family and come back.

It was well worth the couple of grand the whole trip cost as things were so much more settled / secure when we finally landed in Welly for good. Even arranged for the car to be delivered to the airport for us!

All the advice I'd been given was not to even bother applying for jobs until 2-3 months before ready to start. So if you can't get a job without having to be physically present then: either make a special trip with lots of interviews prescheduled, or wait till you've got here. I wouldn't make a trip for one interview without having a firm idea of when I was going to be permanently here.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. I have had a bit more interest now and I have booked flights down there for the beginning of May. I've bitten the bullet and booked it - now I can start telling potential employers the dates I'm there, and the initial reaction is good - they suddenly open up a lot more when you give them fixed dates.

I rang the agency in Palmerston North tonight, the guy there said now he has dates he can get me some interviews for that week for permanent work, and is confident he can get me plenty of interviews. Apparently a guy went over for 6 days from the UK last week and he got him 5 interviews and was offered all of them! I know it's an agency but he seems like a really nice guy and has kept in touch - trying not to get too swept up though as I know what you've all said! :-)

I have applied for another one in Palmerston North with the health board so fingers crossed on that one - again with dates they seemed a lot happier.

So fingers crossed all round now - will keep you updated!

Noel
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:19 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. I have had a bit more interest now and I have booked flights down there for the beginning of May. I've bitten the bullet and booked it - now I can start telling potential employers the dates I'm there, and the initial reaction is good - they suddenly open up a lot more when you give them fixed dates.

I rang the agency in Palmerston North tonight, the guy there said now he has dates he can get me some interviews for that week for permanent work, and is confident he can get me plenty of interviews. Apparently a guy went over for 6 days from the UK last week and he got him 5 interviews and was offered all of them! I know it's an agency but he seems like a really nice guy and has kept in touch - trying not to get too swept up though as I know what you've all said! :-)

I have applied for another one in Palmerston North with the health board so fingers crossed on that one - again with dates they seemed a lot happier.

So fingers crossed all round now - will keep you updated!

Noel
Good for you Noel - hope it all goes well. What sort of jobs are you applying for?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biddy
Good for you Noel - hope it all goes well. What sort of jobs are you applying for?
Hi Biddy

I work in IT, technical support to be more precise. Palmerston North seems to have quite a bit of demand for IT work at the moment, he said they struggle to sell it as it's not one of the big cities. Excellent for us though - cheap housing and plenty of work!

Cheers,
Noel
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:51 am
Give us a kiss

Hi Biddy

I work in IT, technical support to be more precise. Palmerston North seems to have quite a bit of demand for IT work at the moment, he said they struggle to sell it as it's not one of the big cities. Excellent for us though - cheap housing and plenty of work!

Cheers,
Noel
I was visiting the hospital there today as it happens. Certainly affordable housing but not the nicest of cities in my opinion. Good access to loads of lovely areas though. Not a bad choice to start with. Good for you.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Hi Biddy

Cheers,
Noel
Hi there. Great news and congratulation on taking a big step. If you don't mind me asking which agent are you using in Palmerston North please?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Hi guys,

Well what ever you decide it is a BIG step! I came out here eight years ago, and spent a whole month trying to get a job. Agencies were a complete waste of time, all they seemed to do was talk about there OE experiences or pump you for questions about the UK before they went for their OE. I spent two weeks mucking around with these jokers, and I saw at least 20 of them! I finally got a job by cold calling via the phone book.

As for coming out here for a week, sorry but that's not going to work. It'll take you at least half of that time to overcome the jet lag. Even a month seemed too short, I only got all the t's crossed in the last couple of days.

I'm assuming you haven't got residency. if so, as in my case, most potential employees seemed interested until you told them you didn't (as yet) have a work visa, then the shutters went up. It is a bit of a nightmare for them to convince the powers that be, that you are more suitable than someone who is already living here.

Hope I haven't put you off. As I said, I went through it with a wife and two kids, and came out the other side, without too many scratches!!

I would suggest either use the internet for an interview, or spend more time over here.

Kooga

Hi all

Thanks in advance!

Noel.