Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Heading back to the uk with the dog?! Help!

Heading back to the uk with the dog?! Help!

Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice
Default Heading back to the uk with the dog?! Help!

I have just been reading the DEFRA website, which says that I have to wait 6 months while a blood test result comes back. Is thus true? Or am I getting mixed up!?
I need to get out of nz asap, with the dog!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading back to the uk with the dog?! Help!

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
I have just been reading the DEFRA website, which says that I have to wait 6 months while a blood test result comes back. Is thus true? Or am I getting mixed up!?
I need to get out of nz asap, with the dog!
Hi,

Did you buy the dog in NZ?

If so, you need to get it vaccinated for rabies, a month later a blood test and if it passes you can send the dog 6 months later.

Or you send the dog and it is quarantined in the UK for 6 months.

Carole
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:42 am
Just Joined

ctb1803 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ..were doing the same thing weve got 2 small jack russels were taking back to the uk with us ...ive had a quote from a vet here and a quote for shipping ..yes the dogs have to have a rabies injection then blood tests this i,m told takes 6 - 7 months to complete ..this is all part of this pet passport scheme ..so if your taking your dog ..you have to have all this done and the injection blood test thing has to be done at least 6- 7 months before you go .. also they must be chipped aswel ..i believe it has to be done in a certain order aswell chipped first,then rabies injections ,blood test an finally and flea and tick treatment that last 24 hrs for the flight back ... quotes ive had is for chipping,rabies,and blood tests,,$930.00 per dog. for shipping (for 2 dogs ) $3993.00 this included crates ,then $200 for 2 dogs for the flea and tick treatment ..not sure if this is good or not ..so if you get any better please let me no..thanks . i was trying to find out if you could just send dogs back without all this and then have them in quarantine in the uk for 6 months dont want to do that but was trying to find out if thats cheaper or even possible and havent had any luck.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by ctb1803
hi ..were doing the same thing weve got 2 small jack russels were taking back to the uk with us ...ive had a quote from a vet here and a quote for shipping ..yes the dogs have to have a rabies injection then blood tests this i,m told takes 6 - 7 months to complete ..this is all part of this pet passport scheme ..so if your taking your dog ..you have to have all this done and the injection blood test thing has to be done at least 6- 7 months before you go .. also they must be chipped aswel ..i believe it has to be done in a certain order aswell chipped first,then rabies injections ,blood test an finally and flea and tick treatment that last 24 hrs for the flight back ... quotes ive had is for chipping,rabies,and blood tests,,$930.00 per dog. for shipping (for 2 dogs ) $3993.00 this included crates ,then $200 for 2 dogs for the flea and tick treatment ..not sure if this is good or not ..so if you get any better please let me no..thanks . i was trying to find out if you could just send dogs back without all this and then have them in quarantine in the uk for 6 months dont want to do that but was trying to find out if thats cheaper or even possible and havent had any luck.
That is what you call an irrational flight of ideads!! I'm not heading back, my head is just not in a good space right now.
One hour I'm going home, the next I'm staying here.
However, it is true about the 6 month rule for rabies, but they can go into quarantine in the uk or I am told. A combination of both.
Good luck
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

Did you buy the dog in NZ?

If so, you need to get it vaccinated for rabies, a month later a blood test and if it passes you can send the dog 6 months later.

Or you send the dog and it is quarantined in the UK for 6 months.

Carole
No we brought the dog over to nz from the uk, but I'm not sure if he had a rabies vaccination or not?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No we brought the dog over to nz from the uk, but I'm not sure if he had a rabies vaccination or not?
Did he have a pet passport prior ? If not , then likelihood is that he hasn't ever had a rabies jab. You have only just arrive. Look at your pet shipper paperwork and contact them. They will tell you what is what.

NZ to UK requires a rabies jab or 6 months quarantine.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 6th 2011 at 5:10 am.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

if you go back to uk, without waiting for six months the dog will have to go into quarantine, it cost us £400 a month for two cats, so you will be looking at some thing like that or leave them with someone in nz for six months then they can come in hope this helps
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our dog over from Uk no pet passport and yes we had to wait our vacine and blood test was $500 he was already microchipped as this was done prior to coming to NZ, we left him in NZ for a month until we got settled which helped and also reduced the waiting time,
We have now returned and it only took 4 weeks to turn him round again daft isn't it! but EU rules!!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
We have now returned and it only took 4 weeks to turn him round again daft isn't it! but EU rules!!!
Well, that's actually Britain's own rule... Almost anywhere else in the EU a pet coming from NZ would only need a rabies vaccination to be done 21 days before leaving -no test, no waiting period required. Britain has the most strict rabies rules in Europe, due to the rabies free status it has and which everyone understandably wants to keep.

Shazmoo, as far as I know the procedure for taking pets that have no previous rabies vaccination from NZ to the UK goes like this:
  1. The pet must be microchipped (I presume yours is already)
  2. The rabies vaccination is given
  3. After a certain number of days after the rabies vaccination, the antibody test is taken. The antibodies will need some time to form, so the test can't be done right after the vaccination. Your vet will know about this.
  4. The results from the antibody test should arrive in a few weeks. If the results are OK, i.e. enough antibodies are found in the blood and the vaccine is thus effective, the pet can then travel from NZ to the UK six months after the date of the antibody test, without needing to be quarantined on arrival.
  5. Before the actual import date, certain antiparasitic measures have to be done by the vet (an animal shipping company can usually arrange these)
If the procedure above isn't followed, the dog will need 6 months' quarantine at the UK end, at your expense.

(disclaimer: I'm not an expert, so confirm everything from DEFRA, your vet and an animal transport company. They will know.)
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:22 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

What Mgee has written is correct.
I do see some clients who keep up to date with their rabies jabs so that they can return to the UK at short notice should their circumstances change. Something to think about if you're not sure how long you'll stay here in NZ...

Last edited by Persephone; Feb 6th 2011 at 10:33 pm.