Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Head of New Zealand Immigration forced to resign .

The Head of New Zealand Immigration forced to resign .

Old May 16th 2008, 4:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default The Head of New Zealand Immigration forced to resign .

I'm rather surprised that there is not already a thread about this.

Here is a TVNZ article

Mary Anne Thompson is the head of the New Zealand Immigration Service. She was investigated after it was found that she had used her position to grant Permanent Residency to members of her extended family. This week she was forced to resign the post, yet received 3 months pay for doing so.

It would also seem that government hasn't been that diligent in checking her qualifications for the post as questions are now being raised about her London School of Economics degree . Article HERE
Old May 16th 2008, 8:19 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Head of New Zealand Immigration forced to resign .

I think we can assume two things from this.

1) The NZIS is rotten from the top down.

2) The NZQA exists solely to make money from immigrants. Kiwis can't be bothered to check their own politicians qualifications yet they make a huge fuss (and charge a huge fee) to 'make sure' that a potential immigrant has the correct number of GCSEs?

What a joke.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine at some time in the past she would have been an immigrant herself, if the relatives she is alleged to have given visas to are from Kiribati.

Listening to the radio today and over the past few days, many people, former immigration workers etc are coming forward and saying they were offered $s for visas. It would seem that the corruption is rife, and has been for a long time. Only last week the former Minister Phillip Field been in depositions for similar offences of giving visas to Thai Nationals in exchange for work in his home in Samoa.

They also said on the news that State Services knew four years ago, that her qualifications were questionable.

Rotten stinking abuse of power.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 16th 2008 at 8:50 am.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:57 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Yes, god forbid any politican that trys to make some gain out of their position.

Cash for questions anyone !!!
Old May 16th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Yes, god forbid any politican that trys to make some gain out of their position.

Cash for questions anyone !!!
Was she actually a politician or just a Civil Servant?
Old May 16th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
yet they make a huge fuss (and charge a huge fee) to 'make sure' that a potential immigrant has the correct number of GCSEs?

What a joke.
I'm leaving the uk because the British government DOESN'T do this.
We are drowning under the constant flow of unqualified immigrants
who contribute nothing and expect everything
Old May 17th 2008, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Was she actually a politician or just a Civil Servant?
She was the Deputy Secretary of Workforce (Dept of Labour), whatever that is??

One News say they obtained data from the Official Information Act, information and about 60 people work in that Pacific division; since 2004, nineteen cases of serious theft, bribery and fraud offences were proven. really makes you wonder about all the rest that got away with it.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:40 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
I'm leaving the uk because the British government DOESN'T do this.
We are drowning under the constant flow of unqualified immigrants
who contribute nothing and expect everything
Put your copy of the Daily Mail down and slowly step away from it.

Now, sit down and have a think.

Do you actually know any immigrants in the UK who 'contribute nothing and expect everything'?

Do you understand that when you pitch up in New Zealand you yourself will have become an immigrant?

Any questions?
Old May 17th 2008, 5:59 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

My neighbours are unqualified, recently arrived Poles Avid ...
Old May 17th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

He he
Old May 17th 2008, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Yotty
My neighbours are unqualified, recently arrived Poles Avid ...
So you are leaving the country to avoid them?

You are certainly making a statement, if nothing else.

No doubt your Kiwi neighbours will be off to Australia a few days after you pitch up.

God knows, everybody else is moving there.

That's probably the saddest thing about New Zealand immigration. Nobody comes here (RobClubley excepted) because they have any interest in the country.

Last edited by Avid; May 17th 2008 at 7:48 am.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Avid;6361707]
That's probably the saddest thing about New Zealand immigration. Nobody comes here (RobClubley excepted) because they have any interest in the country.[/QUOTE]

Oh cr*p another poll that I missed filling in.....what were the full results then?
Old May 17th 2008, 7:35 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well now I know where I went wrong! Would have got my ITA a lot quicker if I'd moved to Kiribati and got to know the right people!

Seriously though it's pretty shocking that the corruption was so widespread and known about. I'm also amazed that the government knew about her behaviour for a whole year yet didn't do anything about it, surely she should have been dismissed as this must class as gross misconduct. And dismissed without three months pay as well! Could there be any criminal charges brought against her??

The Minister of Immigration said that it wasn't his job to take action. I can't say I know a lot about the political system in NZ but I would have thought it was precisely his job to deal with this instead of burying his head in the sand and ignoring it. I wonder if this goes a lot further than has already been reported?

Sue
Old May 18th 2008, 12:17 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue R
The Minister of Immigration said that it wasn't his job to take action. I can't say I know a lot about the political system in NZ but I would have thought it was precisely his job to deal with this instead of burying his head in the sand and ignoring it. I wonder if this goes a lot further than has already been reported?

Sue
I guess his point was that all public servants ultimately report to the State Services Commissioner (or Head or whatever his/her title), so that politically appointed persons (Ministers) don't get to hire and fire according to their own political criteria. It means like more buck passing, but there are reasons for it.
Old May 18th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

This kind of thing makes NZ look ridiculous from an overseas perspective and makes a mockery of the hoops people have to jump in order to satisfy the immigration criteria. It seems that NZ needs to put its house in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.