Hawkes Bay Region

Old Oct 9th 2006, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hawkes Bay Region

Hi,

Im looking for a bit of insider information.. Were moving to HAwkes Bay for a Year from Fremantle (W. Australia - X UK -) in attempt to sooth itching feet. One half will be working in Hastings, where as me and the 2 year old bundle of terror are going to take our time in finding distractions from a whole new wine region to discover...

Looking at Napier to live, any ideas on areas to avoid/seek out for rentals that will not leave us in the lurch if we have only 1 car for a while.
Cheers

Birdey
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hawkes Bay Region

Hello

Napier is lovely, although I do not know about areas to live.

But as a thought - I work in Hastings and we live in Havelock North, about ten minutes away. ( half an hour from Napier )

We only have one car so I cycle into work while Nicola has the car to bus the kids about etc

peter
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Hawkes Bay Region

Originally Posted by pangor
Hello

Napier is lovely, although I do not know about areas to live.

But as a thought - I work in Hastings and we live in Havelock North, about ten minutes away. ( half an hour from Napier )

We only have one car so I cycle into work while Nicola has the car to bus the kids about etc

peter
Thanks Peter:
Developments: Weve been offered a houe in Hastings, 4x2 with garden for $350 week. IS this about right for Hastings, or would you just say No to Hastings generally???? Unsure of exact location, am aware its 5 mins drive from the hospital with no traffic. I think its Wosely Street or similair? (Its probably nothing like that!)

Had considered that other half could cycle to work, meaning only one car (in the good weather at least)

Cheers
Bird
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:14 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by Birdey
Thanks Peter:
Developments: Weve been offered a houe in Hastings, 4x2 with garden for $350 week. IS this about right for Hastings, or would you just say No to Hastings generally???? Unsure of exact location, am aware its 5 mins drive from the hospital with no traffic. I think its Wosely Street or similair? (Its probably nothing like that!)

Had considered that other half could cycle to work, meaning only one car (in the good weather at least)

Cheers
Bird
Certain parts of Hastings are a definate no-no ( MMM .....and if you dont know what that stands for you soon will ) but others are actually quite nice. Havelock North is definately the better part of Hastings. I personally prefer Napier to Hastings , but each to there own.
Good luck with your move anyway. Hawkes Bay is a good choice
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, Other half has now informed me, its in ?Mayfair, HAstings. Any good? Have heard nice things about Havelock North, just no accomdation available presently in either place for rental in the New Year.

Another Question.. We are considering flying into Palmerston North rather than Wellington/Auckland any comments/advise/laughter?

Cheers
Bird

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
Certain parts of Hastings are a definate no-no ( MMM .....and if you dont know what that stands for you soon will ) but others are actually quite nice. Havelock North is definately the better part of Hastings. I personally prefer Napier to Hastings , but each to there own.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:09 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Birdey,

Wish I could be some help to you but I am hoping that you might be able to help me. What is it with us ex Brits living in WA? Like yourselves we have Itchy feet (could be the 2 year old that causes this) as we have one of those too . We currently live in Perth and feel unsettled so we are visiting NZ at Christmas with a view to moving there instead, but if we do that then it would have to be a one way thing, not just for the year as work commitments would not allow it. Have you been over there yet? and if so how would you compare it to living in Perth/Freo? hope to hear from you soon. Good Luck with your forthcoming adventure
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

GINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura about

My wife is currently in NZ on a reccy, in Tauranga at the moment and due to go to Napier and Hastings in a couple of days time. The "MMM" you refer to , is that the Mongrel Mob by any chance, and if so which are the areas to avoid in case she goes and puts a deposit down on a house next door to a Mongrel's house.

She is checking out Havelock North as it has been recommended before on this forum, hopefully no mongrels there.

many thanks in advance of the information on mob areas to avoid

Gary
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

donscbr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GINGERSEAMONSTER
My wife is currently in NZ on a reccy, in Tauranga at the moment and due to go to Napier and Hastings in a couple of days time. The "MMM" you refer to , is that the Mongrel Mob by any chance, and if so which are the areas to avoid in case she goes and puts a deposit down on a house next door to a Mongrel's house.

She is checking out Havelock North as it has been recommended before on this forum, hopefully no mongrels there.

Gary
I'm going to be heading to Hawkes Bay too, but have insider info as my brother already lives there, in Havelock. I really like the area, (was there in Jan) although one area to steer clear of is Wairoa, but that's further round the coast towards Gisborne. Really, really cheap housing. There's a reason for it.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

GINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by donscbr6
I'm going to be heading to Hawkes Bay too, but have insider info as my brother already lives there, in Havelock. I really like the area, (was there in Jan) although one area to steer clear of is Wairoa, but that's further round the coast towards Gisborne. Really, really cheap housing. There's a reason for it.

why all the vagueness about the areas ? is it really cheap cos of mongrol mob or because it is predominantly Maori? nobody is going to accuse anyone of racism just for saying that an area is mainly Maori and not many white people live there.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

donscbr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

why all the vagueness about the areas ? is it really cheap cos of mongrol mob or because it is predominantly Maori? nobody is going to accuse anyone of racism just for saying that an area is mainly Maori and not many white people live there.
Sorry, I didn't mean to appear vague. Wairoa is cheap because there used to be quite a mongrel mob presence there, and although this is not as much as a problem as it used to be, the area is struggling to recover. i know this as my sister in law is an estate agent in the area.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:27 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by Birdey
Thanks for the info, Other half has now informed me, its in ?Mayfair, HAstings. Any good? Have heard nice things about Havelock North, just no accomdation available presently in either place for rental in the New Year.

Another Question.. We are considering flying into Palmerston North rather than Wellington/Auckland any comments/advise/laughter?

Cheers
Bird
Travelling into Palmy would be a better option fron Aus. Only 2 hours to HB from there.
As for Mayfair (not sure)................try Taradale instead especially if you intend on living in Napier anyway. Dont expect a palace for 300 bucks a week though :scared:
. An extra $100 a week will make all the difference
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:42 pm
Banned

Gary

You will know where the areas to avoid are just by driving round them. Most areas have both good and bad residents but some areas ( Havelock North, Taradale, and Napier Hill ) are very safe options when it comes to making house buying decisions. It is also the reason that these 3 areas are the most expensive in Hawkes Bay and indeed most other areas in NZ.
As for dodgy neighbours.............knock on doors, and if some idiot answers with swastikas and bulldogs tattoed all over his or her face then try the next suburb
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

You will know where the areas to avoid are just by driving round them. Most areas have both good and bad residents but some areas ( Havelock North, Taradale, and Napier Hill ) are very safe options when it comes to making house buying decisions. It is also the reason that these 3 areas are the most expensive in Hawkes Bay and indeed most other areas in NZ.
As for dodgy neighbours.............knock on doors, and if some idiot answers with swastikas and bulldogs tattoed all over his or her face then try the next suburb
I agree with what Lenny says and, keep well away from Flaxmere in Hastings.If I remember rightly Mayfair is only an average suburb..its been a while since I lived there.
Worst areas of Napier in my opinion are Marainui and Pirimai.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Birdey]Thanks for the info, Other half has now informed me, its in ?Mayfair, HAstings. Any good? Have heard nice things about Havelock North, just no accomdation available presently in either place for rental in the New Year.

Asked around at work today ( most of them live in Hastings ) and Mayfair comes out as middleing - not good, not bad. Problem is that areas can change from one end of the street to the other with small pockets of good or bad in amongst the others, unlike the UK where there are whole suburbs that are to be avoided.

No chance of nipping over for a look first I suppose ? Depends also I would guess on what your notice would be in the rental - we came to a motel first whilst looking around and our rental had one months notice if we wanted to leave.

Overall I agree with Lenny - Napier is probably nicer with a bit more life, shops etc and more touristy. But you may have to live further out and need two cars. Taradale is nice - quite safe and suburban, easy travelling to Hastings, about 20 minutes.Hastings is pretty much a working and living town not really touristy. It has been pretty depressed in the past but is coming up now, and has quite a nice feel to it, but then I am only there daytimes.

Wolseley street is off Karamu Road one of the main roads out of town.My receptionist lives in Mahora which is a nice area - we looked at houses there.

Good luck with whatever you decide - sorry if this is all a bit vague - personal opinions really, but Hawkes Bay is great and we have not regretted coming here one bit.

peter

Last edited by pangor; Oct 18th 2006 at 8:49 am. Reason: a memory like a chicken
Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Travelling into Palmy would be a better option fron Aus. Only 2 hours to HB from there.
As for Mayfair (not sure)................try Taradale instead especially if you intend on living in Napier anyway. Dont expect a palace for 300 bucks a week though :scared:
. An extra $100 a week will make all the difference
Cheers Lenny,

Brilliant help... Booking the flights to Palmerston tonight... With Freedom Air, although cant help but think it sounds a bit like a posh seafood platter.

Good advice on the rental prices as well, we can stretch to $450, so hopefully will pick up something decent.

Getting a tad excited about the whole thing, now just have to rent out our place in Fremantle..

Cheers
Bird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.